Apple Store + cash

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacZealot, Jul 27, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

For some reason, I remember Apple not accepting cash on some high ticket items. It seems like the original iPhone was credit, debit, or check only.

Is it still that way, or can you buy anything at the Apple retail stores with cash?

Thanks.

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

Your best bet may be to just call a store and ask-but I believe that the iPhone is the only one

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Credit cards have many advantages and protections when paying more than $500.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Apple stores will accept cash for things. I just bought an iPhone bluetooth headset and case with cash, but then again, $135 isn't exactly the $1000+ of a computer.

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

they wanted to keep track of people buying the old iphones because they would resale them and unlock so that way you can only buy 1-2

You can now buy anything with cash.

if you buy a $2,000 mbp with your debit card and then want to return it for some reason they will only give you back cash lol
    so bring a Safe with you if you need to return a laptop

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm not planning on spending $2000+ in cash at the Apple Store. I'm thinking about getting a Cinema Display, and I'd prefer to pay for it in cash.

As for the post above, what do you mean by a 'safe'? You mean like a metal safe with a combination and all to put my cash in?

And can you buy Cinema Displays with the education discount in store? I know that you can with Macs, but software titles are online-only.

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

yes :D
    it depends on where you live.. do you want to walk with more then $2k in cash?

8. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Wouldn't walking in with a safe be a little more conspicuous than just keeping close it in my vest?

9. muldul macrumors 6502

I not going to return anything anytime soon then, i will get mugged for that

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Very strange. In Britain, there is no way they would be allowed to give you cash. Otherwise any thief having a credit card or debit card in their hands would go straight to the next Apple Store, get a MacBook, and return it the next day for cash. Even your home insurance won't give you cash (or put money into your bank account) when your MacBook gets stolen; they will replace it with a new one.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

If they don't accept cash just reply by saying, "What? You don't like money?" and walk out.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can buy anything in the Apple Store with cash with the exception of the iPhone 3G which is strictly Debit/CC only.

13. dmw2692004 macrumors member

The "express" checkouts do not accept cash. I dunno about you guys, but we have the sales reps walking around with little hand held "sniks" and they can check you out if you use your debit or credit, but no cash.

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The iPhone is plastic only. Anything else can be purchased with cash or check, but you have to go to the special register that is part of the genius bar, or the regular register areas. The people walking around only take Plastic.

TEG

15. portent macrumors 6502a

You may be able to pay for even an iPhone with cash, but you will also need a credit card with you before they will sell it to you and activate it. Supposedly, you can put $1 or so on the card and pay for the rest in cash.

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think the more important question here is, why wouldn't you want to use a credit card or debit card? Aside from the normal cash-back or other rewards they offer, credit/debit cards offer much better security in the event of theft, and almost always offer their own separate extended warranties.

Besides, carrying around a couple hundred bucks in cash is not a good idea. Suppose you get robbed? At least with a credit/debit card, the company will refund any fraudulent charges.

Mind you this is coming from the person who is willing to charge anything, no matter how small in value. :p

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not anymore. Like I said, iPhone 3G is 100% CC/Debit only; you can't even use the AMEX/Visa/Mastercard cash cards anymore.

18. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yep, we recently got "upgraded" to that system. Before, there were three iMacs in the back for checkouts, but now every employee can do it for you. There's a line at the genius bar for cash transactions, which can get quite long sometimes.

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Not true at all since I picked up an 8GB iPhone v1 on launch day! (I still have the nifty box bag)