iPhone 7(+) Apple Store Customer Service? Terrible!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TallRed, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TallRed macrumors member

TallRed

If I knew yesterday what I know today, I never would have driven 45 miles to an Apple store for a battery replacement.

First, you need an appointment or you will wait hours.

Second, once they take your phone, they will nuke everything on it. Apparently replacing a battery is similar to all out nuclear war.

Third, on that topic, if you have backed to to any cloud, don’t count on your backups actually being there. A simple restore doesn’t work if your backups are illusions. I use Apple’s cloud and Verizon’s cloud. I had to restore from a 2 year old backup to my computer. I will never use a cloud service again. It’s a waste of money.

Last, if you have a screen protector, it will be destroyed. Count on it. They open the phone with suction cups and screen protectors can’t stand up to them. Mine wasn’t cracked, but those propeller heads managed to cover the screen protector—both sides—with phlegm, dried mucus, and desiccated insect feces. I had to replace that too.

My advice? Beware well before you set foot in an Apple store. A simple battery replacement took me all day yesterday and most of the day today. I remember the old days when I could pop in a new battery for my Blackberry in a matter of seconds.

Which brings me to this: why does Apple’s business model include aggravating their loyal customers?

2. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I did two separate battery replacements. In and out with both in about an hour. No issues at all.

And yeah, it would be nice to pop a new battery in. Those days are gone.

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Okay.

It's been common knowledge (here on MR at least) for the last four years or so (if not more) that you need an appointment.

With all the battery throttling and replacement threads flying around here about a year or so ago it could be discovered that Apple wipes devices when they service them. Isn't the common procedure for when visiting an Apple store to wipe your device anyway? I mean, they're going to ask you anyway. That's one of their first steps.

Apple is removing the screen to get to the battery. Why would you assume your screen protector is going to survive? Why would you expect it to?

As far as backups, I'm wondering where yours went. I've never had an issue restoring from iCloud and all I use is the free space Apple gives me.

In short, your telling everybody what they already know.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it's nothing we don't know already.

4. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

There are no major phone brands with self replaceable batteries today. If you want things like water resistance, this is the price you must pay.

As far as poor customer service, that has not been my experience at all. Including having apple replace a battery. Most of what you experienced is known to be standard procedure. Sorry your experience was poor. I would be interested in hearing more about the backup issue you experienced.

5. now i see it macrumors 68040

Appointments are always required unless you want to wait all day.

Apple requests that prior to a battery replacement to back up and restore the phone to new before sending it in or bringing it in. Draconian measure in my opinion.

Hundreds of millions of people backup and restore from iCloud without any issues. If you had an ancient version of iOS installed previously, which is no longer signed, then restoring from that backup could maybe not be possible.

Bottom line:
    You experienced normal Apple procedures. You should have asked them if they were going to wipe your phone's data. A battery replacement doesn't require wiping data. I've had a non Apple repair shop battery replacement done (in 15 minutes) and the old battery was pulled and the new battery installed and they didn't touch the data. Everything was the same when he handed it back to me.

And it's not impossible that the tech who installed the battery, wiped the data on your phone out of spite. Apple employees are just people like everyone else and jerks are always among us.

6. pika2000 macrumors 603

1. Genius appointment is not new. And if you even only read this forum instead of any other websites including Apple support, you would've known about the need to make appointment.
    2. Apple already list to-dos when having your iPhone serviced, including disabling Find my phone and resetting the iPhone.
    3. I have replaced the battery of my 6s twice, and previously my iPhone 5 once, and I have restored my backup from iCloud while using the store's wifi without issues. If you actually do an iCloud backup automatically, I don't see why it won't restore.
    4. My iPhones were treated well during repair.

I have to ask, did you really got to an Apple store, or just an authorized service center? And if you did, which store?
    You're welcome to go back to your Blackberry. Even $100 Android phones have non-removable batteries nowadays.

7. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

This...isn't a secret.

Also not a secret. Your device should notify you if it hasn't backed up to iCloud in a while, but even then, you can check for yourself in Settings for the last iCloud backup date and, if you need to, start a backup immediately.

8. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

Wide opeN

Overall, it's not how it used to be.

The level of empathy does seem to have gone down.

YMMV

9. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

That's because they have to sell Apple Care + now...

But OP: everyone knows you need an appointment, everyone knows they may or may not wipe your iPhone, and everyone who cares about their data checks their backups. This is or should be common knowledge, and if it isn't it's in the T&C.

10. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

Wide opeN

This makes sense now. Sigh, seems like another cost effective measure by Tim Cook.

Really beginning to kinda see him in a different light. Really didn't get the hate on him for a long time, but it's slowly kicking in.

Oh well, at least I can say I lived through the glory days.

11. Shadowbech macrumors 601

I guess that depends on store location and can vary and depending on how they handle it. If you get to the Apple store right at the opening time, chances are that when you do a walk in, they can queue you up and not have to wait very long. While they will serve those who made an appointment, often times customers can be late or some may even cancel appointment on the day off.

Though it is recommended to make an appointment, I had no issue with walk in at 10 am and was seen right away for issues that I have on any of my Apple device.

YMMV.

12. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

A little o/t but, imo, requiring Applecare came about because of the "loose way" repairs and replacements were being handled, partly by Apple and partly by Customers.

13. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

Never been a fan of Cook... he's the king of "nickel and dime" shakedown. I'm retired IT and tech support for my friends and family, and do not understand how a cell phone can cost/be worth upwards of $1K.

Back on topic, the customer service at my local Apple store is less than stellar, in large part, I believe, because of the popularity of Apple and the enormous amount of traffic that each Apple store generates. I see Apple, the Genius Bar (now non-existent) and their generally slipping customer service as casualties of their own success.

That said, where else are you going to go? And when do go there, have an appointment.

14. ApplesandOranges Suspended

ApplesandOranges

Every time I have ever gone in for service at Apple they asked me if I backed up my phone or device. I though this was common knowledge. They have been asking this question for years. Appointments have also been required for several years. Was this your first experience with Apple customer service?

"Backups are illusions"? What does that mean? You had two different sources of backup AND a two year old backup to your computer? Something does not make sense here. Please explain.

15. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

Wide opeN

Agreed

16. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

with?

There are multiple opinions on both side of the issue... how about a bit of context?

17. Vietmart macrumors newbie

Vietmart

agreed you said
    Never been a fan of Cook... he's the king of "nickel and dime" shakedown. I'm retired IT and tech support for my friends and family, and do not understand how a cell phone can cost/be worth upwards of $1K.

Back on topic, the customer service at my local Apple store is less than stellar, in large part, I believe, because of the popularity of Apple and the enormous amount of traffic that each Apple store generates. I see Apple, the Genius Bar (now non-existent) nas their generally slipping customer service as casualties of their own success.

That said, where else are you going to go? And when do go there, have an appointment.

18. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

thanks.

19. Rhonindk, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019

Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Stores vary wildly.

Have two about 40 minutes from me; one good (Santa Barbara), one meh (Thousand Oaks). Prior living spot; 2 bad (Grove - Century City) and one good (Manhattan Beach).
    Had to get some emergency work done during a trip to Michigan (Twelve Oaks) - awesome service.

Not what they used to be but a few gem sites still exist.

Update: added locations

20. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Indeed.

Back in 2015, my iPhone 6 was draining the battery in 2 hours. Diagnostics found no issues, but Genius saw my phone had 500+ cycles and wasn't even a year old. Free replacement.

Last year, my 7+ developed a line under the display. Apple decided to open it up and found "extensive" water damage (wasn't the goddamn thing supposed to be water resistant????). I had to pay many dollars for a replacement.

21. pika2000 macrumors 603

Yeah, some busy stores can be quite... annoying. Can’t blame the people working there though, as they’re also people trying to deal with... people. Being patient and treating others good, and I’ve been treated well enough in various Apple stores around the world (Australia, Japan, Singapore, to name a few). I mean sure, I can go to one extreme and demand them to roll a red carpet for me, but considering I’ve experienced pathetic (read: non-existent) support from the likes of Samsung, Sony, and HTC, Apple is still pretty good overall.

22. Elitegate, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019

Elitegate macrumors regular

Elitegate

Yes you definitely need to make an appointment first before you actually head to the Apple Store. An Apple Store is normally pretty busy. If you have no appointment they just send you off back home or they tell you to wait for hours. I also had to learn this when i went to the Genius Bar for the first time. After that, i always made an Appointment before i got there. You can use the "Apple Store" App for that.

Second, yes you should and need to make regular backups. Since i don't find the iCloud service that appealing, i do local backups with iTunes on my PC. So i can restore from that at anytime and i don't have to worry about a subscription fee every month or the backup being not available (because the free 5 GBs just isn't enough to back up everything to the cloud).

23. Newtons Apple, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I would NEVER trust all of my data on my iPhone to be backed up by the cloud.

I do use the cloud nightly for backups but once a week I do my own local encrypted iTunes backup.

It all comes down to how important your data is to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.