Apple Store don't allow custom try on

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Twimfy, May 2, 2015.

1. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

This might not be a surprise to anyone but I found today that Apple don't let you mix and match combo's you can't buy.

I went into the Store today with another try on appointment despite already owning a watch. The employee wasn't bothered by this at all as I said I just wanted to experience some different bands. However one thing he wouldn't let me do was mix and match the bands.

I really wanted to see what a Black sport band would look like on my aluminium sport but he was having none of it. Thinking that it might be because it was my own watch, I asked him if he could move the BSB from their own 38mm SGS to their own 38mm Aluminium sport (they didn't have a 42mm in stock) to see what that looked like but he wouldn't.

Apparently the reason is they don't allow people in store to see combos they can't actually order themselves. Fair enough I suppose but it kinda goes against the whole customisation thing they've been going for.

So now even though I've seen pictures, I've got no real idea as to what my watch will look like with the BSB and as those of you who've seen a Watch in person will understand is that pictures just to do not do these things justice.

I guess my only option will be to order a BSB and then return it if it's not what I want but I have no idea what the policy will be on an opened and worn strap.

Anyone else experience something like this?

On a side note, it was pleasing to see that the Watch Displays were severely crowded and there were a lot of try ons going on. Here's a warning though...if you own an Apple Watch and you're a bit shy, stay away from Apple Stores, it was like being a minor celebrity and I got bombarded with questions and people grabbing my arm!! So much so that my girlfriend wanted to leave pretty sharpish as it started to get a bit weird.

2. Zxxv macrumors 68040

surprised at that because like you say you can buy a sports band on its own. So the combo is sold by apple.

3. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I think this is their official policy, but it doesn't seem to always be enforced. My wife and I went in the other day for a try on appointment for her and she asked to see the Milanese loop and modern buckle bands on a sport watch and the apple guy just switched them over without any problems. It was the middle of the day and it seemed pretty slow at the time... We were the only ones there trying on watches, so that might have had something to do with it. If they were super busy they might not be as willing to bend the rules.

4. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

In my last try on appointment I was allowed to swap bands on anything I wanted. Link bracelet on sport watch, leather loop, etc... There was no limit to what they allowed me to try. I think this is just another case of service reps not having/understanding the information provided to them. If you really want to see your combination I would suggest trying another store or even a different rep next time.

5. Twimfy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

The employee told me that only the SG can be ordered with the black band, whereas the aluminium could be ordered with any of the other colours apart from black, and they didn't want to give off the impression that you can order the ALU with the BSB. Is this true?

----------

My next store is quite far away and I guess I can't guarantee I'll get someone different next time. However it's not a deal breaker and I'm not upset about it, just it was a first for me. The employees seemed really stressed today for some reason, almost rude and I'm used to them being super-accommodating.

6. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

yeah... I would just go to another store... :cool:

7. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

It is not a pre-configured option that you can buy from apple. What he was saying was that you can buy the bands separately. Therefore you should be allowed to mix any band with any watch at the try on appointment.

8. GReeeeN macrumors newbie

It depends on the person, my first 2 appointments they said no to swapping certain bands, and my last appointment let me do whatever I want, even hold 2 watches in my hand at once with the draw open.

I asked to try the classic buckle on the sports and he was also like "no problem man", while my first 2 appointments refused.

Try to get someone else or go to another store

9. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Yeah, I had this problem a few times, and other times, they didn't give me a problem about it. It was really terrible that they wouldn't let you try different combos, although you can buy that same combo by buying separate bands. So you can buy an extra band, but Apple will not let you see how it looks together in person first. That's terrible customer service.

10. LiemTa macrumors regular

OP, they didn't let me change bands either but I was assertive and she just let up when I was being logical about why I would want to.

11. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

How many appointments to you need?

12. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

If you live near a place that does Edition appointments, make one. Tell them you like the watch so much, you're now considering an investment in the Edition. Try on a few Edition models.

Make friendly chat. They're fun to try on. Really heavy compared to the SS model. FAR heavier than Sport.

Once you gush over the Edition models (have your GF try some, too, and let her fuss over them) tell the rep you really love one of them and ask about shipping times.

Before your spot is done, ask if you can see a BSB on your sport watch because you might want to add that to your online Edition order, but you've never seen the combo, since they don't sell it prepackaged.

They'll show it to you. ;)

I did an Edition appt prior to launch and the guy who helped me found me a watch in another drawer to try on because I wanted to see the color on my arm.

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I own a black sport band on stainless steel. It looks great and I think it would look great with silver or black aluminum, too. You can barely see the silver pin when the band is on so I would not worry about it clashing with anything. I can't understand why they didn't offer black sport bands for the Sport watch to begin with. It's ridiculous.

14. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Yeah, some of the employees are real dicks about it. I wanted to try a link bracelet on a SS watch but have some links removed so it would fit properly. Guy I had was having none of it even though that was the only combination I wanted to try. 15 minute appointment ended in thirty seconds when there was clearly enough time to remove some links, try it on, and then put them back.

I'm sure they'll fix this policy in the future but they really screwed the pooch for launch.

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Wasn't this the policy stated by Apple before 4/10 try-ons started? They have said from the get-go you cannot customize your try-on experience by mixing bands and watch faces because it would take too much time.

16. H3rman macrumors 6502

My local store let me try it at my appointment on the 11th April. However the guy I got seemed pretty good and happy to help.

Some people are just jobsworth and refuse to actually be helpful because the book says this or the computer says that. Have no ability to think for themselves....

17. LiemTa macrumors regular

So this is what it takes when you don't have the balls to be up front.

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

That's a bit harsh in my opinion. It is in all likely hood Apple's policy and they are just following that policy. You can't blame them for doing that as they would at the very least get a slap on the wrist from management if they found out. It just happens there are some Apple employes who choose not to bother following this policy and are more flexible in this matter. It's just a matter of luck who you get to help you.

19. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

This thread is coming dangerously close to criticising Apple. It should be shut down and all contributors barred for life.

Angela Ahtendts superb decision to not let customers be in control of their own shopping experience is both brilliant and flawless. As is she. Anyone who says otherwise is a sexist pig.

20. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

On the contrary. I have no balls. I'm female.

I wanted to try on the Edition. As a bonus, I got a relaxed appointment where they gave us stools to sit on, got us out of the crowd, and they let me try on the watches/combos I wanted.

I had fun. My end game wasn't to get to try on X band. But, I still tried on all the ones I wanted.

I'm not actually sure why there's a need to try on the Sport with a BSB. Just try on the SS BSB and imagine it matte. It's not a huge leap in thought. But, the OP wanted to try it. I offered what I thought would be a fun suggestion that I knew would work.

----------

I suspect they don't swap bands all around during the regular sessions because they're just 15 minutes while crammed in a crowded store with a bunch of watches in a case that the sales clerk has to keep people from stealing. Which is reasonable. They only allow a given number of watches out of the jeweler's case at every store I've ever shopped.

----------

At our first try-on appt (15-min one) the clerk let my husband remove some links. It was no problem.

21. fridaypants macrumors member

I had a session when the store was nearly empty at the end of the day and the person I was with was super helpful and let me try on any and all combos I wanted. I told her I had a black Sport ordered and she let me try on any and all bands I wanted (both leather, link bracelet, etc.). She even let me do the custom sizing on the link myself.

22. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yeah. I'm sure it was the lack of crowd and relaxed atmosphere. The clerk didn't have to worry that someone would grab the watch box and run.

23. alexcue macrumors regular

alexcue

I went on the 16th and he let me switch every combo possible that I wanted. I told him what I had ordered, he showed me how that looked and felt and then I tried the Milanese and link on a 42 SG BSB. He said its my time and have at it. His only rule was two watches out of the drawer at a time. He showed me how to put them on too... Properly. Lol

Glad I didn't get any attitude like the original poster did.

24. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

It was the worst shopping experience I ever had. I was victimized. LOL
    The employees were as interested in how some of the combos looked as I was.
    Then again my appt was on a weekday

25. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

A little off topic, but I had to go to the Apple Store yesterday for an issue with my iPhone and yes, people do treat you like a minor celebrity when you have the watch on. Every employee I interacted with asked about it, and while customers in the store didn't say anything, you could tell they were looking or gossiping about my wrist. Definitely an interesting experience and indeed is not something a shy person would enjoy. :D Reminiscent of the original iPhone when people would freak when you pulled it out in public.