Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
This might not be a surprise to anyone but I found today that Apple don't let you mix and match combo's you can't buy.

I went into the Store today with another try on appointment despite already owning a watch. The employee wasn't bothered by this at all as I said I just wanted to experience some different bands. However one thing he wouldn't let me do was mix and match the bands.

I really wanted to see what a Black sport band would look like on my aluminium sport but he was having none of it. Thinking that it might be because it was my own watch, I asked him if he could move the BSB from their own 38mm SGS to their own 38mm Aluminium sport (they didn't have a 42mm in stock) to see what that looked like but he wouldn't.

Apparently the reason is they don't allow people in store to see combos they can't actually order themselves. Fair enough I suppose but it kinda goes against the whole customisation thing they've been going for.

So now even though I've seen pictures, I've got no real idea as to what my watch will look like with the BSB and as those of you who've seen a Watch in person will understand is that pictures just to do not do these things justice.

I guess my only option will be to order a BSB and then return it if it's not what I want but I have no idea what the policy will be on an opened and worn strap.

Anyone else experience something like this?

On a side note, it was pleasing to see that the Watch Displays were severely crowded and there were a lot of try ons going on. Here's a warning though...if you own an Apple Watch and you're a bit shy, stay away from Apple Stores, it was like being a minor celebrity and I got bombarded with questions and people grabbing my arm!! So much so that my girlfriend wanted to leave pretty sharpish as it started to get a bit weird.

Do you mean Apple DOESNT let you ..

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
What I don't get here is where some on these forums are directing their anger.

Your boss "Apple" tells you the store employee NOT to let a customer mix and match a non official watch and strap combination.

As a good employee, and if YOU were the boss you would wish your employee's to correctly carry our your instructions as you told them to.

So, the good, employee does so.

Suddenly according to people here, this employee is a real dick as they won't do what you want, and go against his employers direct instructions.

My views are, if you want to call anyone a dick, then call Apple a dick. Not the employee who is earning their living working for them, doing as they have instructed them to.

Your anger is misplaced & you are blaming the wrong person.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015

Your boss "Apple" tells you the store employee NOT to let a customer mix and match a non official watch and strap combination.

As a good employee, and if YOU were the boss you would wish your employee's to correctly carry our your instructions as you told them to.

Suddenly according to people here, this employee is a real dick as they won't do what you want, and go against his employers direct instructions.

My views are, if you want to call anyone a dick, then call Apple a dick. Not the employee who is earning their living working for them, doing as they have instructed them to.

You coulda just quoted me, since you're talking about me lol...

Anyway, as others have had much better experiences, I really don't care about the policy. It's one thing if I went on a busy day, but it was very relaxed and it was literally the first thing I said when I met the guy, after greeting him. If you're a good sales associate, you make the customer happy. Especially when I was asking for a combination that IS sold and we had plenty of time to get it done.

Maybe you're ok with mindless robots but I expect people to have empathy and work with me as a customer. It's what I did for all the years I worked retail and I never got fired for going against policy as a favor to the customer.

I don't care much because I ordered all the bands I was interested in anyway. It's just that the try-on appointment is supposed to limit superfluous returns but since I still have no idea if the link bracelet will fit me well, I ordered it and will have to return it if it doesn't. It'll be a waste of money for Apple and can only happen because they refused to adjust the links.

vinzb

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
depends on the mood of the apple employee.
He let me try the silver sport with black band.
he also removed some parts of the ss link band, so that it fits correctly

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

Exactly. That was also the point of my last post. If anyone wants to direct blame it should be the management at Apple and not the store employees who are just doing their job. Calling them names and blaming them is just ridiculous. That said whilst I'm not trying to side with Apple management this is typical of the way Apple does things as they like to control the type of experience people have with their products good or bad as it may be and I'm baffled why anyone is surprised by this reaction by Apple employees to these customer requests to mix and match bands.

NeutralGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
Not true.

The Apple guy at the Apple Store in Brandon FL let me tried on the Milanese Loop to an Apple Watch Sport.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
UK

At what point did I say I was angry? Couldn't really care less to be honest. Just thought it was an interesting observation and an unusual stance for the first product Apple has actively pushed some form of user customisation.

----------

Calling them names and blaming them is just ridiculous.

Again, please point out the part where I was calling names and throwing out blame.

I did say that the staff seemed to be a little angry and rude today, but I meant generally and not in relation to that single experience. I asked a different employee about my girlfriends Macbook bottom case and the guy was very short with me but, hell the store was pretty busy.

Anyway, this has all escalated rather quickly. General consensus seems to be: some stores will let you mix and match, some stores won't. Oh well, never mind.

----------

Get an idea what your combo will be like here: http://mixyourwatch.com/

I'l be getting the sport with milanese loop.

Thank you, that's a pretty nifty website. Although I did see an actual photo of someone wearing a silver sport with a BSB and still couldn't really get a feel for it, much in the same way I though the SGS looked awful until I saw it in real life at which point I fell for it immediately.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
At what point did I say I was angry? Couldn't really care less to be honest. Just thought it was an interesting observation and an unusual stance for the first product Apple has actively pushed some form of user customisation.

----------

Again, please point out the part where I was calling names and throwing out blame.

I did say that the staff seemed to be a little angry and rude today, but I meant generally and not in relation to that single experience. I asked a different employee about my girlfriends Macbook bottom case and the guy was very short with me but, hell the store was pretty busy.

Anyway, this has all escalated rather quickly. General consensus seems to be: some stores will let you mix and match, some stores won't. Oh well, never mind.

----------

Thank you, that's a pretty nifty website. Although I did see an actual photo of someone wearing a silver sport with a BSB and still couldn't really get a feel for it, much in the same way I though the SGS looked awful until I saw it in real life at which point I fell for it immediately.

Regards to calling them names I wasn't referring to you and I can't see why you would think I was. I was actually referring to the post by HopefulHumanist on the first page of this thread. My reference to blaming the Apple employees was more of a general one and not targeted at you.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
OP, they didn't let me change bands either but I was assertive and she just let up when I was being logical about why I would want to.

this would mean you were trying on a Sports watch and wanting the "SS" bands on it... According to your other post you seem to be bashing anyone with a Sports watch. Weird that you would be wasting time wanting too band change that watch.

Phima256

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Cleveland
I went to my local Apple Store the day after launch and they were extremely strict. No changing of bands, and absolutely no adjustments. I wanted the link SS but was not allowed to remove links. Now it's a guessing game as to whether the removal of enough links will fit on point without the ability for micro-adjustments.

Oh well, just won't feel bad in the least about opening then returning it if it doesn't fit properly.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
My local store let me try it at my appointment on the 11th April. However the guy I got seemed pretty good and happy to help.

Some people are just jobsworth and refuse to actually be helpful because the book says this or the computer says that. Have no ability to think for themselves....

I'm sure it's more about wanting to keep their jobs than not being able to think for themselves. They were obviously told not to swap bands it take out links.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
I'm sure it's more about wanting to keep their jobs than not being able to think for themselves. They were obviously told not to swap bands it take out links.

You mean like the "genius" I got who said there is nothing wrong with my phone because the computer says so, until I showed him the detailed diagnostic information on his iPad, explained the data to him and asked him to tell me that there was still nothing wrong. At which point he changed his tune. When is manager saw it, even he agreed with me.

I agree with you that some of them are just doing what they are told by management, but some of them either don't care or just point at the computer (iPad) screen and say "look, diagnostics are ok" without actually digging any deeper and listening to what the customer is trying to say. :rolleyes:

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015

Yeah, cause they'd get fired for providing excellent customer service :rolleyes:

When I went to the store and had that terrible experience, I submitted negative feedback to apple. The store called me to find out why I was unhappy. If the guy would have just helped me out, I would have submitted positive feedback and that would have benefited him.

I just don't buy this argument. It's a stupid policy because the appointment time should be the only limiting factor. My point is that a lot of retail places have stupid policies but associates bend them when it can benefit the customer without opening them to liability.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Yeah, cause they'd get fired for providing excellent customer service :rolleyes:

When I went to the store and had that terrible experience, I submitted negative feedback to apple. The store called me to find out why I was unhappy. If the guy would have just helped me out, I would have submitted positive feedback and that would have benefited him.

I just don't buy this argument. It's a stupid policy because the appointment time should be the only limiting factor. My point is that a lot of retail places have stupid policies but associates bend them when it can benefit the customer without opening them to liability.

It may be a stupid policy, but you're suggesting that the employees should just ignore the direction from management and do whatever makes the customer happy? And if they don't do that then they are not providing good customer service? Isn't the problem the policy in this case and not the employee? They are doing exactly what they should be doing: following company policy.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
It may be a stupid policy, but you're suggesting that the employees should just ignore the direction from management and do whatever makes the customer happy? And if they don't do that then they are not providing good customer service? Isn't the problem the policy in this case and not the employee? They are doing exactly what they should be doing: following company policy.

My last paragraph sums my position up entirely. Fine if you disagree but what I'm talking about happens in real life all the time, maybe you don't shop often?

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
My last paragraph sums my position up entirely. Fine if you disagree but what I'm talking about happens in real life all the time, maybe you don't shop often?

Of course employees ignore company policy all the time. That doesn't mean they should or that we should expect them to and if they don't that they are doing a good job, anyway, I'm done talking to you about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.