Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's online storefront has gone down ahead of its "Peek Performance" virtual event taking place later today, where a handful of new products are expected to be announced.
apple-store-down-banner.jpeg

Apple is expected to announce the next-generation version of the iPhone SE, a revamped iPad Air, and at least one Mac with an Apple silicon chip, which could be the rumored "Mac Studio" machine. Apple is also said to be unveiling a new standalone display, which could be called "Studio Display."

There could also be some news on Apple's service's front, as well as dates for the public release of iOS and iPadOS 15.4, alongside macOS Monterey 12.3, which enables Universal Control.

The event tagline, "Peek performance," has also prompted suggestions that Apple may offer a peek at a future product, but that remains purely speculative.

MacRumors will have in-depth coverage of Apple's event, which kicks off at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time, including a live blog on our website and tweets via @MacRumorsLive on Twitter. For a full rundown of everything we expect to see, be sure to check out our guide.

Article Link: Apple Store Down Ahead of 'Peek Performance' Apple Event

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Still sounds very much like a 'peek' of what's to come later in the year rather than new hardware being available to pre-order immediately. I can't see why else they would have used this tagline.

Hope I am wrong, obviously. We all want shiny new hardware that we don't really need.

Reactions: ChrisMoBro

theluggage

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2011
Still sounds very much like a 'peek' of what's to come later in the year rather than new hardware being available to pre-order immediately.
I'd guess the iPhone SE and iPad Air are probably going to launch for real. Between 3rd party case-makers and the regulatory paperwork for mobile phones, those are pretty much impossible for Apple to keep under wraps.

Everything else is fun to speculate about but I'll believe it when the "Buy" button appears.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Still sounds very much like a 'peek' of what's to come later in the year rather than new hardware being available to pre-order immediately. I can't see why else they would have used this tagline.

Hope I am wrong, obviously. We all want shiny new hardware that we don't really need.
They wouldn't shut down the online store the morning of an event if they weren't going to have new hardware to sell. Rest assured, Apple will provide us with a plethora of unnecessary, overpriced gobbledegook to purchase.

Reactions: 3Rock

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
I'm not having any high expectation based on rumours details, but I'm actually looking forward what Apple have to say later today via live streaming.

LarrySW

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2016

That won't happen. There is certainly a chance of a preview of a product or two along with new immediate stuff.

alpi123

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2014
Shutting down the store this early seems like a record for time. I'm accustomed to this happening about 1 or so hour(s) before, not nearly 6. Is there going to be MANY changes today?
It's always early, regardless of how many products they're going to announce

seclusion

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Interesting times assuming the Mac Studio system is available immediate with a base option and within a month maxed out. We also assume there would be a more top spec'ed performance option than the MBP Pro/Max. But to then announce an M2 spec for future, even though I’d love to see, seems like it would hamper the buzz of the studio machine. But to not show an M2 variant would push it into a 2 year cycle like Intel timelines were.

matttarantino

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2021
It still baffles me that they take down the entire store for hours before the event, essentially pausing all online sales worldwide* for hours. It has to be more hype than technical reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lwii2boo

IllinoisCorn

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2021
The FOMO will be strong today and I will hold off from any purchases....but boy will it be tough!

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
It still baffles me that they take down the entire store for hours before the event, essentially pausing all online sales nationwide for hours. It has to be more hype than technical reasons.
It's not nationwide but worldwide. But yea agree with you, more likely for hype to shut down a store for that long. On top of that it's the whole store and not just one or two types of product

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montreal, Canada
It still baffles me that they take down the entire store for hours before the event, essentially pausing all online sales nationwide for hours. It has to be more hype than technical reasons.
The thing is, if they only wanted to build hype, they would put a direct link of the event on the page of the store while it’s down. Except Apple enthusiasts like on MR, people don’t associate the store being down with an Apple event. And it doesn’t make sens to build hype only for the (still narrow) Apple enthusiasts community

Maybe they really need this time to update their store, they have a lot of different Apple Store websites in different countries to update at the same time

Last edited:
Reactions: Arctic Moose

theluggage

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2011
Shutting down the store this early seems like a record for time. I'm accustomed to this happening about 1 or so hour(s) before, not nearly 6. Is there going to be MANY changes today?
I think it is usual for the store to go down in the early morning (US time).

Why? My guess: timezones.

It's early afternoon here in the UK (and I'm not sure exactly when the Store closed - could have been before 9AM GMT when all good Americans are in bed) and the event itself will be after normal office hours. Other Timezones, even further east, are available.

Whether the closure is just for hype (in which case they'll want people to notice), or if Apple are (e.g.) trying to minimise the number of discontinued/upgraded products sold on 'change-over day' (in which case the trading day will almost be done on this side of the pond by the time of the event) or just need to have time to brief the call centre and Apple Store staff, this makes sense.

I really can't think of any other examples of this sort of high-profile, global launch (in normal times, rightly or wrongly, Apple launches tend to be mainstream news), across multiple timezones, online and bricks-and-mortar sales, with products often available to order immediately... Just trying to think about the logistics gives me a headache, so I'd be very, very reluctant to armchair quarterback it.

soupfm

Contributor
Oct 29, 2021
The only thing I look forward to at this moment is a proper sleeve for my nMBP16.

Thanks Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.