Apple Store downsold me & I regret listening to them

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 24hrpizza, Jan 2, 2014.

1. 24hrpizza macrumors member

Anyone else have this problem? Tried to buy the older Mac Pro tower for large video editing and design projects. The guy kept trying to talk me out of it. For some reason I listened to him. Now I have a a less powerful iMac. :/

2. Fragofox macrumors newbie

I have had the good fortune to work with several apple employees who were top notch individuals, definitely knew their stuff....

sadly i've rarely ever met one in any of their stores... :( dont intend to be super rude, but it's a sad truth that most of the workers in the stores dont know what they're doing... let alone what to offer different types of professionals or even regular consumers.

also, it intrigues me that they wouldn't be trying to get rid of their old stock of mac pro's now that they have the new model out...

hmmmmm

anyhoo, Depending on where you bought the iMac, i would think you should be able to return it, if it hasn't been to long.

3. linkgx1 macrumors 68000

You could always return it?

The thing is, and I've been to the Apple store before, I think they don't want you getting way more than you need. I've worked at Best Buy before and I've experienced where people got 'more' than what they needed and get upset about the experience. If that is what is best for you then get it . It's still your money.

Are those projects for school or business?

4. koban4max macrumors 68000

i hate those apple wannabes employees....they tried to talk me into buying low end stuff and i said hell no...and i told them they don't know what they were talking about as I asked them specific questions.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You are a true hero. You really told them, didn't you?

Consider this: That Apple Store employee's boss has told the Apple Store employee not to tell clueless customers that they are clueless, and not to tell obnoxious customers that they are obnoxious, and not to tell smelly customers that they smell. And there's the rule that "the customer is always right if the customer wants to spend more money than necessary". Which goes together with the rule "the customer is always right if that's what's needed to make a sale".

6. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

Take it back.

If you are outside the 14 day return window, call Apple customer support first. Explain that you really wanted a Mac Pro, but the Apple retail sales associate assured you that the iMac would work just fine for you. Then give the customer support rep specific, technical reasons as to why it isn't working for you.

Apple will just sell the iMac as a refurb and not be out any money.

7. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

Are you sure the guy wasn't right? The new iMacs compare very favourably with the creaky old Mac Pros for certain tasks. I'm not going to make any claims, but I use a 12 core MP at work and a 4 core iMac at home and generally I find the iMac more responsive when working, and only a little slower at heavy computation. Depends entirely on your work though.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I agree with the poster above. All barefeats' benchmarks show practically no difference.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depending on your needs, the old MacPro's advantages over the iMac is the replaceable GPU and drive bays.

However with that said, return the iMac and get what you want.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

+1. As an enterprise we dumped Mac Pro's entirely and put iMac's on the desktop. Not a single regret. Cheaper, and for 99% of the tasks they're still overkill. Considering I work for a major media business...

11. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

And more cores unless you're buying the entry level.

12. koban4max macrumors 68000

well...i didn't appreciate the fact that they been giving me misinformation.

13. linkgx1 macrumors 68000

How is it misinformation? Why didn't you just buy online or do an in store pickup? I'm so lost.