Apple Store Employees Talking About iPhone Rumors

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applesith, Oct 1, 2011.

1. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I brought by MBP to the Apple Store last night for them to replace it with a new quad core. Apple is awesome with fixing problems and so happy to give me a new computer because they didn't know what was wrong with my computer.

Anyways, while they were processing my exchange, one employee told a customer about the Oct. 4 event and how it's about the iPhone and iOS 5. Then the other two employees behind the genius bar were talking with me about rumors of the 4s v. 5 stuff. I brought up the MR post about ATT stores getting iPhone 5 cases. He said he heard that an ATT stoer actually got some iPhone 5 units in stock. I don't believe him and not saying this is true.

I just found it really interesting how open they were talking about rumors and speculation of the new iPhone. I've heard many times that Apple tells their employees to ignore rumors and never discuss them in the store. While it was fun talking with them about the speculation and what each of us wanted the new device to be, I'm not sure Apple HQ would approve of their activity. Fun none the less and thought I would share. Anyone else have an Apple employee so engaging about rumors?

2. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

99% of the time they know as much (or as little) as we do. They may have a scoop on Monday.

3. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

I never said they knew more than us. I just found it odd that these employees were so vocal about rumors in the store.

4. Duckit macrumors regular

Duckit

I'm not surprised that they are talking about the iPhone 5, but that doesn't mean that they know more than us.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They know sweet f.a till the keynote!

6. shandyman Suspended

my mate works at the coven garden store, they listen and discuss the rumours, they don't know anything as fact, and he and his colleagues all use this site and forum, so they know as much as we do.

7. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

You find it odd that people from Apple are curious as to what their biggest upcoming product will look like? It sounds perfectly normal that they discuss Apple products in an Apple store towards Apple customers. Obviously you just wanted to create a thread on information you thought you might have, but nope...you've wasted your own time and everyone elses for that matter.

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

-The principal to Billy Madison and how I feel about this thread. :) JK

8. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I think the OP was impressed that the employees were talking about rumors. Because most apple employees generally are instructed to say something along the lines of "Apple does not comment on future product releases." So I'm not quite sure why you felt the need to call the OP out. But regardless, I'm pretty surprised they were commenting on rumors.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

I agree. I'm not sure why people here are surprised that the OP is posting on this. It is unusual and typically Apple store employees do not discuss or comment on rumours and speculation as they instructed not to. It's very surprising the employees in that store were doing just that. My experience when I bring up such rumours and speculation in Apple stores is typically "no comment".

10. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

Like I said in my original post, i never said they knew anything. I know they don't know anything.

Looks like some people here did understand my post about Apple store employees talking about rumors. Apple does encourage their employees to not read in rumor sites to help resist the urge to discuss rumors with customers.

11. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I'm surprised by the open manner they discuss rumours, OP. This is interesting. My guess is that the degree of openness depends on the strictness of the specific store manager, so this could vary from store to store, just like any other organisation. However, if the higher authority pay them a visit, they're likely to quickly avoid such discussion, knowing that this might jeopardise their career.

12. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I had a family friend who used to work at Apple. He said that they aren't allowed to discuss new products in store at all, so Apple employees discussing that would seem odd.

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

It is indeed odd. I have a friend who works in an Apple store, and all he will ever tell me is "We don't know anything."