Apple Store Experiences

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tagtagnc, Feb 20, 2008.

1. tagtagnc macrumors member

Just wondering after many years of Apple having their stores open in shopping malls and other freestanding across the country as to how you feel, the Mac user, about the service you receive at their stores. I've lived in a number of cities since the first opened in VA, and I've encountered very random levels of extreme quality and dissatisfaction from the service or the overall experience from visiting the store.

Personally my store at SouthPark Mall in Charlotte, NC is the worst I've ever seen. Their employees seems more like "Yes Men" so to speak as they will tell you anything to get you out of their hair as they are too busy running around with their handheld scanners to make sales on the floor even though they do not work for commission. Others seem slow or shiftless and not really capable of answering any question not listed on the spec card.

Anyway, an interesting topic that I hope catches on. I've been a user for over 20 years, even once doing demos during the Demo Days, so my only use for the Apple store is to view and check out new products and so forth. It's much easier and cheaper to order online to avoid state and local sales taxes.

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

The people at my Apple store seem like they want to help, but can't. Sales people try to help then send me to the Brain bar or whatever, then the brain people tell me what I already know.

They aren't much help, I'd rather just ask this forum.

3. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I never go there for "help" unless I have to get something repaired. I already know the sales staff wouldn't be able to answer my question anyway.

4. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

i have been helped twice. Made an appointment and was helped within 2 minutes of the scheduled time. My questions were answered and MacBook issue solved on the spot within 10 minutes. It could not have been easier or smother.

my experience has been very good !

5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I've visited Apple stores in Illinois (1), Arizona (3), New York (1), California (2), and Missouri (1) and have had excellent service in all of them.

6. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

Atlanta, Lenox Mall - Very good
    Atlanta, Perimter Mall - Very good
    San Francisco, Stockton Street - Very good
    Tampa, International Place - Very good
    Los Angeles, Beverly Center - Very good
    Los Angeles, Century City - Very good
    Los Angeles, 3rd Street Promenade, So-so

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I've noticed that the "greeter" at the door tends to be the dumbest apple employee in the store. Usually they are no help at all and frequently steer your agenda into awkwardness or failure. I've had to begin ignoring these people as to keep from being derailed. [/rant]

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

"Greeter"? That wasn't a Apple Store, that was Wal-Mart! :p

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Generally I've been really happy at the Apple stores I've been to. My only complaint is that different sales people continually ask me if I need any help as I walk through the store. I know they're just trying to help, but it does get annoying the fifth time you're asked.

10. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

The Apple store is my heaven.

I really don't go there for help with my Mac. The only time I did go to the Apple store for "Help" was when my casing cracked and they had to repair it (for free). Other than that, my Apple store experiences have been marvelous.:D

11. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Ha ha, good one. That made me laugh.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah right! :D When the store around here isn't slammed there is usually someone standing at the door. They try to head off any questions you might have.

Here is another one. I was in the apple store Somerset on the weekend after Valentine's Day and it was packed. People everywhere, wheelchairs, strollers, kids, everything, just crazy. I'm over at the iPhone cases looking and it drifts my way. Somebody has pretty bad gas. So I bail over to the other side and start looking at the books. And there it is again. I turn around and it turns out to be some old guy with huge beard just strolling thru the Apple Store..farting. :rolleyes: Sorry for the grossness of the post.

13. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

All the stores near me are too crowded, every time I'm in there no one has time to help me anyway. Guess it's the price you pay living in a metropolitan area.

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

All the Apple stores in Illinois are like that too. You can barley walk in the door let alone get help.:eek:

15. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I try not to let anyone help me because generally they don't know anything at all.

Aside from the folks at the genius bar, the staff seem to be hired for personality and not functionality.

16. tsincaat macrumors member

Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!

17. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

The Southpoint Apple Store (Durham, NC) is great. I've been their 4 or 5 times and they are always courteous and ready to assist. I have never purchased anything from them, but they always had great answers to my questions. When somebody asked me if I needed any help and I would say "No, but thank you anyway" its almost like they all got the radio message and nobody else would bother me unless I specifically asked for their help. Service like that makes me come back time and time again.

18. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

"Attention, all Store personnel. Teenager in 'you want it, you got it' shirt. Declines assistance, I say again, declines assistance. Do not bother. Acknowledge, over."

19. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

My only complaint is when I hauled my Mac Pro in there for help with RAID and when my appointment came up they politely told me they don't help with RAID.

20. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Hehe, thats great! :D Exactly the service I want.

21. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I've been to three stores.

Tampa at International Plaza (?)- Great store, great help. Fixed my MB' RSS in under an hour

Atlanta Perimeter- Super, replaced DOA MB right away even though it wasn't purchased at this store.

Orlando at Florida Mall- Don't know, every time I've been there it's been too crowded to get in the door.

22. tagtagnc thread starter macrumors member

The employees at the store I used to visit in Tulsa, OK, granted just opened last summer on the day of the iPhone launch so a rather newbie staff, always wanted to help, but generally steered you back to the Genius Bar with any questions, which, at least at this store, normally didn't require an appointment to have a quick question answered.

I will say though, the employees were at least enough competent to understand when maybe another shopper was getting advice from someone who was maybe a member of the local MUG to just let them do the talking until the sale was ready to be made.

23. tagtagnc thread starter macrumors member

I'm assuming you are referring to the position they now call Concierge who is just there to make sure someone has acknowledged your presence or you have been checked in for an appointment.

The one we have in Charlotte is pretty good, granted she looks like Deborah Harry from Blondie, but she at least speaks and gets you steered in the right location I guess.

24. tagtagnc thread starter macrumors member

Agreed. It seems the staff is picked more for their eclectic makeup and diversity rather than expertise.

25. tagtagnc thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know. It seems we can never get to that happy medium of enough help if we need it but not too much to be intrusive.

It's anywhere though. How many times have you been in Best Buy for the dude to remind you "we don't work off commission so just look for anyone in a blue shirt whenever you need us."

Much better at least than the Circuit City sales counselors of the 80's that followed you around with their notepads just waiting to pounce.