Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that its retail store in Zurich, the most populous city in Switzerland, will be moving at the end of the month.

apple-rennweg-august-2019.jpg
Apple's upcoming store at Rennweg 43 via MacPrime

As noted by Swiss blog MacPrime, Apple Bahnhofstrasse will be relocating to Rennweg 43 on Saturday, August 31, just down the street from its current Bahnhofstrasse 77 address. The new store will still be just steps away from Bahnhofstrasse, a main downtown street in Zurich known for shopping.

Apple Bahnhofstrasse originally opened in 2009. Apple has three other stores in Switzerland in Basel, Geneva, and the outskirts of Zurich.

The move was highlighted by Storeteller on Twitter.

Article Link: Apple Store in Zurich Moving to New Location on August 31

Last edited:

HessiDe

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2019
Good, the basement level of the old Apple Store smelled like piss :( But the new looks quite small in comparison.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
That's super weird, they are essentially moving away from the prime location in Zurich to a (seemingly) much smaller store.

Bahnhofstrasse is one of the most prestigious and expensive shopping streets in the world.

EDIT: Read the native Swiss articles (I'm German) and they essentially are running into troubles with the house owner who wants to renovate the whole building complex.

Last edited:
Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

DocEmmetBrown

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2019
Just driving in one of the famous Trams through the Bahnhofstrasse on my way home. I‘ve heard about plans to renovate the building. But this happens really fast. Things usually taking a while in Switzerland ;)
It‘s a wonderful city.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
An Apple Store in Zurich moves a short distance and it goes on the front page. An Apple Store in San Diego (UTC) moves a short distance (into a shiny new much larger location) and MR doesn't even mention it on the site (apparently they "tweeted it", you know, for people who read MR's tweets in addition to reading everything on the site).

(Haven't been to Zurich, but Lucerne and Interlaken and the surrounding mountains and valleys are quite lovely.)

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
I made it to the one in Geneva when I was there last year. Front of store was pretty narrow. I almost missed it. Would love to visit Zurich next year if I get a chance. Beautiful country.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
Good, the basement level of the old Apple Store smelled like piss :( But the new looks quite small in comparison.
There is that strange smell in the basement - all the time in this shop, indeed.

Pity in general. One more shop with cheap clothing or shoes - at this location. The Bahnhofstrasse loses its appeal more and more...

zaxxon72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
Rennweg 43 is the former site of the huge Franz Carl Weber which went trough the building over to the Bahnhofstrasse. So there might be a lot of internal volume for this shop (as opposed to the tiny crappy current one).

Here's hoping for a theatre, lots of tables and genius bars.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
An Apple Store in Zurich moves a short distance and it goes on the front page. An Apple Store in San Diego (UTC) moves a short distance (into a shiny new much larger location) and MR doesn't even mention it on the site.
According to Wikipedia (ie, according to a study done several years ago), the Bahnhofstrasse in Zurich is "the most expensive street for retail property in Europe". It might not be a flagship store but it certainly is one in a very prime location. The old store had glass walls facing the street and a glass staircase into the basement but otherwise looked like a mall store. The new location at least has some historic facade on the outside.
[doublepost=1565888823][/doublepost]
Rennweg 43 is the former site of the huge Franz Carl Weber which went trough the building over to the Bahnhofstrasse. So there might be a lot of internal volume for this shop (as opposed to the tiny crappy current one).

Here's hoping for a theatre, lots of tables and genius bars.
Did FCW have a Rennweg address? Meaning, is Apple getting all the space including the storefront towards the Bahnhofstrasse but for some obscure reason this property has a Rennweg instead of Bahnhofstrasse address? I thought that on the Bahnhofstrasse side of the former FCW something else had already moved in. I'm gonna have a look at it in the next couple of days. BTW, FCW had I think four stories.

EDIT: I should have read the whole macprime article:
"Auf der Seite der Bahnhofstrasse wird Hyundai demnächst ein exklusives Schaufenster für die kommende Auto-Edelmarke «Genesis» eröffnen."
Meaning Apple won't get the Bahnhofstrasse part of the property (how they split things internally we will see). And that is tight place for a car 'showroom':
apple-rennweg-august-2019-06.jpg

Copyright (that I am seemingly ignoring) macprime

Last edited:
Reactions: Tech198

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident

If you looked around for a trashbag full of Macbook Pros, those were likely Macs with faulty Butterfly keyboards that stopped working after the customer peed on the keyboard.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I made it to the one in Geneva when I was there last year. Front of store was pretty narrow. I almost missed it. Would love to visit Zurich next year if I get a chance. Beautiful country.

Same situation with the one in Basel. I'd love to go back and visit Zurich. Switzerland is so beautiful.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
According to Wikipedia (ie, according to a study done several years ago), the Bahnhofstrasse in Zurich is "the most expensive street for retail property in Europe". It might not be a flagship store but it certainly is one in a very prime location. The old store had glass walls facing the street and a glass staircase into the basement but otherwise looked like a mall store. The new location at least has some historic facade on the outside.

Back when they moved in, there was the rumor of an eight-figures "key-money" payment.

That was outrageous even for Zurich standards.

zaxxon72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
>Did FCW have a Rennweg address? Meaning, is Apple getting all the space including the storefront towards the
FCW could be entered from Bahnhofstrasse and from Rennweg.

>BTW, FCW had I think four stories.
I am very sure about three stories. But that was 40 years ago ;)

>"Auf der Seite der Bahnhofstrasse wird Hyundai demnächst ein exklusives Schaufenster für die kommende Auto-
"Schaufenster" (shopping window) does not sound like a lot of volume. Perhaps Apple is giving up very expensive storefront towards Bahnhofstrasse ("Laufkundschaft") and keeps the vast volume inside at a better price...

Again, hoping for a theatre like in SOHO or Regent street.

Edit:
Fun Fact: At Glattzentrum, Apple also moved into the old FCW space...

Reactions: Abraxa

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Miss this city. So beautiful (along with the rest if Switzerland). I’d love to live there. Damn is it expensive though. And this is coming from a resident of NYC.

Hopefully I can squeeze a few days in before Oktoberfest in Munich next year.
[doublepost=1565897919][/doublepost]
If that's how it's going to look (minus the construction blinds), I think they need to work harder at blending in, not standing out.

This is the old facade. They didn’t really change much besides paint the space above the doors/windows a solid color.

Attachments

• 43964E5C-C8DD-439D-968F-220DAB13E7F2.png
    43964E5C-C8DD-439D-968F-220DAB13E7F2.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 232

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
That's super weird, they are essentially moving away from the prime location in Zurich to a (seemingly) much smaller store.

Bahnhofstrasse is one of the most prestigious and expensive shopping streets in the world.

EDIT: Read the native Swiss articles (I'm German) and they essentially are running into troubles with the house owner who wants to renovate the whole building complex.

Hab die Originale niche gelesen... but Perhaps this is a temporary move.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Hab die Originale niche gelesen... but Perhaps this is a temporary move.
Looking at the article macsteve just linked to, I don't think so. The floor space increases from 400 m² to about 1100 m² (4300 to 12000 sq.ft). It might also be the oldest building(s) any Apple Store is located in (one part is from the 13th century, the other from the 19th). It will stretch over parts of four historical buildings, though the insides of those have been stripped such that largely only the facades remain historical (at least for the floors the Apple Store will use, there might be more historical remnants in the basement and in the top floors).

Reactions: 123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.