'Apple Store' iOS App Updated With Location Aware Appointment Check-Ins, Reserve and Pick-Up, and More

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Apple today updated its Apple Store application for iOS devices, adding several new features including location awareness to allow users to check in for appointments at their local Apple retail store.
What's new
- Add engraving and gift wrapping to select purchases from the Apple Online Store
- Reserve products for pickup at an Apple Retail Store
- Check in for Apple Retail Store appointments and call up quick help within stores (iOS 4 required)
- Add Apple Retail Store appointments directly to iCal
- View your upcoming Apple Retail Store activity on a map
- Ability to recognize you when you arrive to an Apple Retail Store and offer you a personalized set of services (iOS 4 required)
The in-store location integration was detailed at the last minute by MacStories, which revealed that Apple has rolled out a pair of applications for its retail store employees called Concierge and Scout. The new applications allow employees to check in on the queue of customers holding appointments and assist managers with deploying staff throughout each store.

The report, which includes a number of screenshots, also describes the process by which a customer arriving at an Apple retail store receives a notification of an upcoming appointment, offers to check in the customer, and displays a photo of the employee assigned to assist the customer to aid in recognition.

In addition to location-awareness, the revised Apple Store application offers support for the newly-launched iPad engraving (as well as iPod engraving) and holiday gift wrapping.

As Boy Genius Report notes, the updated application also now allows users the option of reserving a white iPhone 4 at select retail store locations. It is unclear whether their appearance is imminent, but Apple has stated that it expects them to be available by the end of the year and appears to gearing up to support their availability.

Article Link: 'Apple Store' iOS App Updated With Location Aware Appointment Check-Ins, Reserve and Pick-Up, and More

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Nice app. Their service just keeps getting more customer friendly year after year. I'll see the white iPhone when it gets here, until then it's still just a rumor.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
nice

didn't know about the check in when i had to get an iphone replaced 6 months ago. spent and extra 10 minutes waiting

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Apple keeps making their devices and services talk to each other in ways that make it so easy and pleasant to use. I love, for example, setting a calendar entry in my iPad and knowing that a few minutes later it will be updated on my iPod and my Macbook Pro too. It just works.

I love how when I read a book in iBooks on my iPod touch, and then I get home from my commute I can open my iPad and watch my book sync. It just works.

And now we have this app for going into an Apple store and having it track the entire process for us so that we don't have to wait around for our name to be called. Do whatever you want, and they find you when they are ready. Simple and elegant.

It's not that other stores and companies couldn't do this sort of synchronization. But it's Apple that's actually doing it.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
www.facebook.com
maybe now that its released they can send the little droids they have back across the hall and return to the abandoned beta they launched by mistake called iPhoto11, soon to be known as iPhotogate

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Maybe. But they still don't offer on-site/at home service...
True, I don't know why at this point they don't. I know their authorized service centers do depending on where you live but on the level that Apple has gotten to on-site service should be a given.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
What is the fascination with the white iPhone? Seriously?
It's a fashion/style thing.

Note that white consumer electronics are very, very popular in some markets. White electronics are very popular in Europe and even more so in Southeast Asia.

Your own personal aesthetic sensibilities have little to do with those of others. You are not the center of the universe and your individual use case is statistically meaningless. Note that Apple has successfully sold white electronics before, so clearly there is a market segment very interested in this look.

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
I want to know exactly how Apple knows I'm in the store. What exactly is Apple pulling from my GPS/Wi-Fi or other system to be able to tell I'm at that location? As far as I'm concered my phone isn't pumping out my location unless I specifically open an application with location services.

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
I dislike that this is USA only, show my Great White North love.

Although a poster a few up makes a great point. What if you are bringing your iPhone in for service? Haha.

oahazmatt

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I want to know exactly how Apple knows I'm in the store. What exactly is Apple pulling from my GPS/Wi-Fi or other system to be able to tell I'm at that location? As far as I'm concered my phone isn't pumping out my location unless I specifically open an application with location services.
It has the location service. The last time I opened it I was prompted to allow or deny the access.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Still no ability to build your Mac to order, huh?