Apple store is down...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MythicFrost, Sep 1, 2012.

1. MythicFrost, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Apple store is down... hoping for new iMacs.

EDIT: Store is down again, it's going to be something this time... edit is more than a week old since original post.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's routine maintenance that happens frequently on Sunday and Wednesday mornings, and not an indication that new Mac models are being added to the store. It's normal for the store to be down for 3-6 hours during maintenance. If you search the forum, you'll find dozens of these "Apple Store is down" threads, filled with wild speculations that all result in nothing.

From this site: Is The Apple Store Down? - Apple Store Status Check

3. jedolley macrumors 68000

As quickly as you put that reply together I would swear you anticipated a thread like this coming or have it saved for when it does. :p

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's quite predictable. These threads pop up every single time Apple's site is down for routine maintenance, and not a single time has it ever resulted in new Macs being introduced. You'd think people would learn after a while, but they never do.

5. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It probably is, but it can't help to hope. Anyway I enjoy the speculation -- it's fun. And thinking about it now it's probably not going to be a Mac release on a Sunday, but the day slipped my mind. Also I don't keep track of when Apple does maintenance, so all I know is the iMacs are well over due and the store is down.

On another note... how long has it cycled through all the different languages? Is that new? Or have I missed the last downtime?

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

Wow you posted that at the same time 12:32

You just sit around waiting for the thread

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's called Forum Spy.

8. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

The apple store has been coming down more than usual lately. Pretty sure they are prepping for the new iPhone images and promo stuff

9. ds82 macrumors member

Of cause there will be no new iMacs today ... but, maybe, they really prepare for a launch of new iMacs on Tuesday/Wednesday ... :eek:

10. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Not to mention GGJStudios has these incredibly repetitive, almost automated posts saved. Look. His post is almost identical to his other answers on other threads of a similar nature.

Also, don't you think Apple would announce something as big as new iMacs?

11. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Oh well... nothing new today -- except their rotating language "Apple store is down" signy thingamajigga.. Hopefully soon though.

12. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

Not sure, I guess it depends on what exactly the upgrade is. If it is "only" a spec bump, I dont think there will be a manjor announcements weeks before. It will possible only "..Now available with...."

I just hope it happens soon. I have decided to buy my first IMac and wont it now... now and not in 2 weeks, not in 3 weeks not in October :D

Obviously I will wait another wee while until more details with come up.

13. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

They will probably only announce the ne iMacs on their webpage for a couple of weeks between other products...nothing more.
    But, they will NEVER add a new product on a sunday just out of the blue. Trust me :D

14. G4DP macrumors 65816

They don't do any of that. Doing a seamless move from the old site to a new one is something Apple never does. If you are going to prepare a site for such an update, you don't do it on the live version. That would be stupid and the sign of an amateur.

Why they feel the need to keep it down for so long is another matter.

15. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Yeah I always wondered about that too. Why does it need to be down at all? Is it to create curiosity and keep the hype up? You would think a company like apple could update their site without any downtime. Downtime under events make sense though.

16. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Yes.

17. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Aaaand... its back unfortunately nothing new to add.

18. G4DP macrumors 65816

I could understand it being down for an hour but not the length we sometimes see.

If those working for Apple on the web site were of any calibre then it should be almost seamless with a little testing on the live server. Should not take 4 or 5 hours.

Most of the checking of links, server paths etc should be done on the test site as the links would remain the same. Being down during a Keynote makes sense but they should have it ready to come back up as soon as it finishes.

If anything it is probably more to ramp up the anticipation. Which is pretty pathetic by them and even more pathetic by the number of people that cream their pants over a web site going down.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you read the rest of my Dec. 2011 post that you quoted, you'll see I was going to explore a text expander, which I now use, rather than the copy/paste method. It's more efficient and helps a lot with my CTS.

20. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I'm glad you like it... I'm too cheap for it...

21. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Do you know this is how wars get started. Like a load of gossiping old women. This forum is aptly named. :rolleyes:

22. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

The store is down again... got to be something this time...

23. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Couldn't possibly be the new iPods, could it?

24. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

It's still down in Germany too. So fingers crossed for the next 5h??!