Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Store Liverpool ONE has emptied its front-of-house of all products ahead of possible rioting in Liverpool, UK as the country faces its fourth night of unrest.

Last night, Metropolitan Police were out in force in Oxford Circus and Regent Street, including parked in front of the flagship Apple Store there. The vans weren't specifically protecting the Apple Store, but it is a significant business and commercial area.

English cities are tonight facing rioting and looting for the fourth night in a row. The BBC has extensive coverage of the events.

Any UK readers with pictures, video, or other information, please get in touch via Twitter, email, or the comments on this post.

Thanks to @anfieldtoffee for the photo. @Syntax_86 has another picture of the store.

Article Link: Apple Store Liverpool ONE Empty Ahead of Unrest

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
yeah the rioting is bad and I am very embarrassed by this, but its not the entire country :p. Just a load of people trying to cause trouble and steal things nothing more. It doesn't even have anything to do with the shooting on Saturday Night now.

tis good this Apple store has been emptied though

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
Very sensible Apple. You're only worth $76 billion +/- cant afford to loose a few k's worth of display kit.

Looks like they've even removed the cool iPad2 information things aswell!

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
To be fair it's in Liverpool, so the security has to be at its best regardless of riots.

millypede

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2004
UK
To be fair we have done the same too, I don't blame Apple and I don't blame any shop owner that wishes to protect its investment. This is getting really out of hand.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Very sensible Apple. You're only worth $76 billion +/- cant afford to loose a few k's worth of display kit.

Seriously? :rolleyes:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

samsung stole it

Helghast

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
yeah the rioting is bad and I am very embarrassed by this, but its not the entire country :p. Just a load of people trying to cause trouble and steal things nothing more. It doesn't even have anything to do with the shooting on Saturday Night now.

tis good this Apple store has been emptied though

Me being from America I can defiantly understand this. This kind of stuff happens all the time, a group of a few angry crazy people riot, and cause trouble,and it makes the whole country look bad the way the media portrays everything.

Ori

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's awful over here. They are ruining this country.
All the do gooders are finding justification for it. It's theives. It's thugs. It's idiots.
I'm embarrassed by my fellow UK citizens behaviour.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5.1; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pixi/1.1)

stay safe

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Me being from America I can defiantly understand this. This kind of stuff happens all the time, a group of a few angry crazy people riot, and cause trouble,and it makes the whole country look bad the way the media portrays everything.

Something on this scale would never happen in America because U.S. citizens have the right to bare arms and protect their homes and livelihoods.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Also, to anyone in the world just going by the media or whatever, here is an example of the scum some people have to live with in their communites.

chav-48372-299x300.jpg

And a good example of their pathetic attidudes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14458424

They account for a very very small part of our population, and pump out as many kids as possible in order to receive as much child benefit as they can. They then spend this benefit on ridiculously cheap wine (i.e. Lambrini, Bellabrusco, etc) instead of things like clean clothes and paying water bills in order to get washed.

The media will always jump at a chance to make our country look even worse regardless.

samofhim

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
Bristol, UK
Just come back from the apple store in greater Bristol and the shop there is also empty. Not sure about the Apple store at the Mall though. Would have taken a pic had I known Liverpool did the same.

Well done Apple I say.

David Webb

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
And what is the point of this thread?

All major businesses have taken precautions across the whole of the country after the past few nights troubles. The store in question will be open as normal tomorrow as it was today.

Move along there is nothing to see. Its these types of pointless internet postings that are causing more harm than good.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK

The idea is if there's nothing to easily steal, hopefully the store won't be trashed. There's a few businesses that after being looted, were burnt to the ground. Making the store seem like a less attractive target is a proactive measure to prevent large (entire storefront smashed to bits) or catastrophic damage which would close the store for anywhere from weeks to a year.

samofhim

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
Bristol, UK
Something on this scale would never happen in America because U.S. citizens have the right to bare arms and protect their homes and livelihoods.

That is a ridiculous statement to make. It really is. In the UK sure we don't have the right to own gun. This is down to some kind of deep root issue where guns would not have stopped this. The UK has issues and so does the US so don't dare think that just because you feel its ok to have guns this would not happen in the US. Imagine how much worse it would be if guns we aloud.

Personally from someone that works in a secondary school I would be using the CCTV, going to the school, getting the teens ID'd and prosecuting the parents as well as the teens.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

I bet it has more to do with discouraging them from breaking the widnows and doors. Those things are not cheap to replace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.