Apple Store or AT&T Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SeanZy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Where will me and my friend have a better chance of getting a 3GS on Friday with no preorder?

We are going to get in line early, so it is pretty much an issue of stock. I read somewhere that AT&T won't have as many as the apple stores due to the preorders? What do you guys think.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

My guess would be an Apple store. They probably have more iPhones than what an AT&T store would have.

3. dwella1 macrumors member

Apple

4. astrobanana macrumors regular

id go with apple
    it all depends how early
    lines could be starting at 3am
    you need to hurry if you want one of the phones

5. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not too worried about the time.

Last year we waited for two hours and got a 3G, a much bigger launch than this I would guess.

6. rjsmith18 macrumors member

rjsmith18

AT&T are extremely limited to the amount of phones they can have. I'd go with Apple.

7. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Why don't you do the pre-authorization thing online on Apple's website?

8. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

First apple, can I still do that and receive one this friday?

The reason I havent done it yet is that the eligibility to upgrade for the low price isnt going to be in effect until tomorrow morning.

But do you think I could still do it tomorrow morning? And be guaranteed one? or how does it work

9. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

the apple pre order does NOT guarantee you a phone..its first come, first serve. they will have the conceirge team there at the door to get people signed in and taken care of. its smooth every year in the store. a zoo, but run smooth.

apple stores will have plenty of phone for the weekend...if your in a small market though, you might wanna get there as early as possible

10. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I read that and understood it.

Hmmm well what would I need to take then? The credit card used to purchase. and an ID of course Because if that is the case I will just load my debit card with the cash I have, and buy it with that.

This is all of course assuming that the apple site reflects the new AT&T announcement as well as the att site itself.

Pretty much what I am doing is paying for it, so I can just walk in and pick it up. If I understand this correctly?

11. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

yeah just have debit card and government issued ID and you will be good to go. the pricing will be in the system for friday.

12. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

Is it really gonna be as bad as the 3G release? Especially with the amount of people NOT eligible for upgrades?

I just don't see a lot of people dropping the extra cash in this economy... but then again, Apple has the uncanny ability to get you to go out and sell your house for a macbook pro, imac, iphone, ipod and display.

I'm so getting one despite the lack of eligibility lol.

13. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ouch that might not work then.

All I have is a student ID, which I literally use EVERYWHERE I go since it is a debit card and not a credit card. That blows.

14. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

student ID wont fly. government ID only. unless you get a stoner employee ready to go on there smoke break, your gonna be beat.

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Apple is going to open its stores at 7:00am now on Friday instead of 8:00, and will not have a separate line for reserved iPhones.

16. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well then I will just go with my cash.

Considering it is a first come, first serve basis anyways, all it is going to cost me is time.

No problems.

17. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

i went thru the pre-approval on apple's site and put the phone in my cart, i haven't pulled the trigger yet, can i just go to an apple store instead? I'd rather walk out with one in hand versus waiting, not that i'm impatient, but i'll miss the mail and have to leave early to go to the post office, etc....

anyone?

18. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

With the pre approval thing you DO walk out of the store with one in hand.

It isnt like you are ordering it online to be shipped to your house.

Pretty much you are paying for it, getting it set up, etc before you go in so you can just show proof of payment or whatever and get it. Rather than buying in store, adding data plans, setting it up etc.

19. astrobanana macrumors regular

they dont accept cash for iphones

20. mrtune macrumors 6502a

If you have a FAN account with AT&T, I would call the Apple store and let them know. Last year Apple couldn't activate lines that had FAN accounts attached to them. It was required to go to an AT&T store. That may have changed for this year, but it's something to consider.

Just a heads up.

21. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crap. I totally forgot about that. Oh well then I will just go wait in line and have my mom come later with her card.

That blows

22. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is a FAN account?

23. Fenir macrumors regular

24. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

well, i canceled the order in my cart and went thru the process again, this time opting to pick up at Biltmore (Phoenix) I didn't get prompted to pay, so I guess I'll do that there.....I'll prolly go Friday night after work before I pick up my daughter......I wish i could wait in line, it'd be fun, but i need the ot...

me happy:D

25. mrtune macrumors 6502a

If you don't know what it is, there's a good chance you don't have one.

Some companies offer FAN accounts to their employees. It's an account you can attach to your plan that will give you discounted service. The discount depends on your company and what deal they made with AT&T.

For example, my company offers this, and I get an 8% discount on my voice and data plan.