Apple Store OS 10.6. Charged $20 for suspicion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Daremo, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

So, I had to vent on this a bit... I purchased a 10.6 single pack for my Macbook Pro. I opened the package, and the DVD had "grooves" in the back of it, almost like a old vinyl record. Clearly something was wrong with it. I tried to install it anyway, thinking the scratches wouldn't be bad enough to screw up the install. I was incorrect, it got more then half way, and locked up, and would not complete the install.

Before I decided to return the disc, I thought I would try the install disc on a Macbook of my wife's, just to see if the same thing happened, to determine that it was indeed a faulty disc. Same thing, locked up in the same place.

I went in to have the disc replaced and explained to the employee it wouldn't install, and how it locked up on 2 machines.

They DID replace the disc for me, but I was forced to upgrade to the family pack because they wouldn't believe me that I was only using it for the Macbook Pro and NOT the Macbook. I explained as nicely as I could that my wife's Macbook had the "Up-To-Date" disc on order, and we haven't received it yet, so I had no need to purchase the family pack. I bought a single for my Macbook Pro, and hers was coming in the mail, hopefully soon, do to their shortage.

They would absolutely not replace the faulty DVD unless I upgraded to the family pack. Thankfully it's only 20 dollars, so I'm not out a lot, but this is total principle here.

I've had very strange experiences with the Apple Store. On my first iPhone first generation, I dropped the phone, and cracked the glass. My fault, 100%. I went in to ask how much it would cost to replace the screen. The employee went into the back, and came out with a new phone, and sent my on my way. Now, I have a faulty DVD, and just wanted a straight replacement, and the employee and the manager both charged me for suspicion? Wow... Just wow...

2. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Email this to sjobs@apple.com and demand a refund. No way in hell they can 'force' you to upgrade to a family pack. I know it's only $20 but I'd still pursue based on principle alone. If anything they should be crediting you something for selling you a faulty disk..

3. crobbins macrumors 6502

Calling Apple Customer Care may might be your best bet. They are typically pretty good about treating their customers well. I had an odd experience with an employee at local Apple Store so I called to them about this. They ended up giving me $100 off of a purchase of $300 or more..I was very impressed, it was totally unnecessary, but I was appreciative.

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You're still ahead of the game. Better to get charged 20 more for the dvd than to get charged to fix the broken glass on an iPhone. Next time just tell them you opened up the package and the DVD looked like this (now show them the DVD). Don't confuse them with facts. They should not have charged you extra.

5. rpp3po macrumors regular

Apple's OS licensing is honor based. The store manager obviously can't quite comprehend this. I think this might be a seldom case where the Pirate Bay based solution would be the most adequate reaction.

6. zorahk macrumors 6502

The people who work at the stores are idiots.

Call apple corporate and demand a refund.

7. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

Brought home SL and tried to install it, no luck. It said that the disk was not reading and needed to be cleaned. Turns out it was cracked and won't load. I talked with Applecare and am hoping to get a new non cracked disk tomorrow, without a lot of fuss.
    Forgot my point. Applecare dude told me to try the disk in another dvd slot on another computer. I don't have another comp with a dvd reader. So he was at a loss. But he did ask me to try. So you should get your 20 back if you press it.

8. paduck macrumors 6502

I'm not going to go out of my way to defend this particular action, but you might want to consider it part of the equalization for the free iPhone...

You could sell the family pack on eBay and buy another single copy to make up a little of the difference, probably not worth $20...

9. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I have had odd experiences like this at my local apple store aswell. It just seems sometimes you get a few bad people on a bad day.

Some days they will go above and beyond, others they won't budge on anything.

When ever I have a problem I just call Apple customer care and say I want to report the store, and then explain why. Most of the time they fix my issue.

10. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

Thanks for all the comments. Yeah, I may call and see if I can at the very least get a $20 iTunes card or something. It's all principle at this point. I was just shocked by not just one, but two employees agreeing with each other, that to be replaced, I was forced to hand over another $20. I think xlii is right. Something like this happens again, I keep the details to myself. :)

11. Neotyguy40 macrumors regular

Apple employees do not usually say things like that unless they have a good reason.

Remember, Apple is simple, and the best way to get good service out of them is to keep your explanations simple. Just tell them that the disk does not work.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Just my opinion but honestly, let it go, for a couple of reasons. First you did agree to pay the $20 extra for the family pack in order to get your exchange so demanding a refund for something you agreed to pay for may not hold a lot of water with Apple customer relations. They may think you agreed to pay for the family pack out of desperation because you damaged the DVD. Secondly, you brought in a disc with scratches on it or "grooves", who's to say you didn't damage the disc yourself? Apple didn't have to exchange it, it's VERY rare that someone receives a scratched DVD in a sealed package. Do what you want but I would let it go, it was partly your fault for telling them that you were trying out the disc on multiple Macs in your household, that would hold you suspect.

Based on what you told us here I'm a little surprised that Apple insisted that you buy the family pack rather than do a straight exchange....BUT...we, on MR don't know how the whole conversation went and there's always 2 sides to the story.

13. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

You're very right. As soon as I saw the bottom of the DVD, my first thought was "Who's going to believe me that is came like this?" It doesn't look like typical scratches. It's grooved, like a record from the edge to the center, but I do understand what you're saying. This is exactly why I was as polite as can be the entire time, and tried to stick to the facts.

I paid the $20 because I had 2 Macs stuck in limbo, and this was the cheapest option at the moment, so it certainly was out of desperation.

I do believe that as soon as I mentioned 2 computers, it seemed like a red flag, but I was surprised that even after explaining I'm waiting on the up-to-date disc in the mail, they still couldn't get past "Single user box, 2 computers."

I'm sure if I pressed the issue, they would compensate me, but now that I have the family pack, maybe I can just return the up-to-date disc when it arrives.

14. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

This is completely out of line. Who are they to think that it is their job to enforce the EULA on two computers they don't even REALLY know you own?? I'm sorry, but I would have asked to speak to a manager and NOT paid the additional $20.

It's not that I'm cheap. I just spent $49 for the family pack myself, as we have 2 iMacs in our house. But to be coerced into spending an additional $20 when you have a legitimate up-to-date coming your way.

15. ogee macrumors 6502

Did you get your receipt by e-mail? If so, there will be a link where you can give feedback on the experience. Apple reads every one of these feedback, and low mark have to be addressed. Give a low score and the store manager will phone you. Say you feel ripped off.

16. BigAus macrumors member

Kind of ironic. People are bitching about others buying the $29 disc for multiple computers and Apple forces you to buy the family pack for one computer. Pretty damn funny actually.

BTW, I believe the disc and packaging of the up to date program are different than any retail version and therefore cannot be returned (for a refund that is).

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Oh yes, you're right, I didn't think of that. You can't return the up-to-date disc because it was free anyway. We only paid for shipping and shipping is not refundable. As I mentioned to the OP, let it go, he's certainly not losing, he can now legally install SL on as many as 5 Intel Macs in his household now that he has the family pack. It may come in handy later on.

18. Appley macrumors newbie

Appley

That is so dumb. You should call United States customer support, like seriously, $20 Dollars for their fault? Eff That!

19. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah I would email or send paper letter to an executive of your choice at Apple, this is insane to be treated that way.

My disk was also heavily scratched. It makes me nervous for future reinstalls.

20. netslacker macrumors 6502

Forget any post that suggest you just move on or deal with it, that's just not right. The guy at the Apple store prejudged you to be pirating the software and took it upon himself to be the "enforcer." Don't stand for it, call customer support or go back to the store. Demand your 20.00 back. You should not have to pay it just because someone went on a power trip.

I do realize that it's only 20.00 and it's not going to make or break you. But the principle here is the bigger deal.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well back it up then

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Customer Relations will resolve the matter....:(

23. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I also don't think you should let it go. You obviously should have dealt with the issue at the store by asking for a manager.

However, a call to customer relations will resolve the matter. You might even save another person from going through something similar.

The point is not that it is only $20, it is that you were treated wrongly at the store.

I have dealt with customer relations and they were some of the nicest people I have spoke to from a customer service dept. They resolved my issue +++++++++.

24. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Moral to the story: open the package in the store, in view of an employee and examine it visually. If it's scratched, politely ask for a different one, and repeat.

Thanks for the tip-off!

25. rpp3po macrumors regular

Yes, you'll find the executive of your choice's contact details in the public 'Complete Executives at Apple' phone book. ;)