Apple Store Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Schizoide, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Schizoide macrumors member

Schizoide

Hi,

Tomorrow I'll be going to an Apple Store to show my hiss-problem. Does the Apple Store replace phones bought at official Resellers? I bought my phone through an online reseller and they don't have anything in stock to replace with. I could return my phone completely but that means I won't have a phone for 2 weeks, since I sold my old phone. So does Apple actually replace defective iPhones bought in another store?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yep, it doesn't matter where you purchased your 7 from as it will still have manufacturer's warranty, so Apple will happily sort that out for you. :)

3. Schizoide thread starter macrumors member

Schizoide

Yes, but do they give me a brand new one if that's necessary? Because I'm still in the first 14 days, but haven't bought it in an Apple Store.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Absolutely right, there's no reason why they wouldn't.

5. Schizoide thread starter macrumors member

Schizoide

I contacted AppleCare and said such thing is not possible, but I went ahead and made an appointment with the geniusbar, I'll see what happens...

6. codyfisher macrumors member

Apple will replace your phone no matter where you bought it. Ask me how I know.

7. Schizoide thread starter macrumors member

Schizoide

How do you know :p

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

A friend of mine bought his at ATT and is was defective and the geek told them they would have to return to AT&T.

Some say they know and other just know.

9. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

The Apple One Year Limited Warranty applies to all iPhones regardless of where they were purchased.

That "geek" clearly didn't know what he/she was talking about.

10. Schizoide thread starter macrumors member

Schizoide

I have warranty, but they said they can only repair it maybe give me a refurbished one. They won't give me a brand new one, I hope they tell me otherwise when I go to the store tomorrow. AppleCare told me I can only get a new one from the website I bought it from, but they have nothing in stock for the next 3 weeks (thats over the 14 days return period).

11. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

I doubt that Apple stores have true replacement iPhone 7s available this soon after launch. The "replacement" phones are likely to be new.

Even if it was a replacement, the casing, screen and battery is brand new, and the phone goes through even more rigorous quality control than the "new" phones. It's essentially the same thing.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If you want new you will have to return where you bought it and wait.

13. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

OP.

Just for reference, I've never had an issue with any refurbished products from Apple.

I don't recall many, if any, threads here complaining about an issue with exchanges done at Apple Stores for any iPhones.

Maybe do a search to see if there has been an issue, but my replacements were indistinguishable from brand new.

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I feel where OP is coming from. Literally just bought a new phone and is already getting a refurb because of a defect that isn't his fault..

15. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

There have been a very few that I have seen. Far less then the "current" issues that people seem to have.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not talking about warranty, I am talking about the OP getting a brand new phone. Not going to happen if you did not buy it from Apple.

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Its remanufactured, not refurbished. As someone else has explained, you get a new battery, new housing and new screen. Additionally, it goes through more thorough testing than new units off the production line. But with that being said, its probably still too early for any units to be remanufactured at this point. So you will get a new one in a white replacement box. If you want a new one in a retail box, you will have to go to where you purchased the device and exchange your defective one.

18. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

That's true, but he/she could probably wait for an exchange from the reseller. If they are choosing to go the Apple Store route then they have made a choice to get a refurb.

19. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Apple will replace it but keep in mind that because you bought it somewhere else you will get a replacement phone which could be new or refurbished and it comes in a white box, you won't get a brand new in the original packaging with the earphones and charger, but the replacement phones right now will be new because the phone is still to new to be refurbished.

20. itsray macrumors 6502

They will replace it through the Genius Bar. If you wanted a replacement that brand new and sealed like when it was purchased you would of had to of bought it at an Apple Store.

21. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

I thought even if you bought it new at the apple store, that eventually, you would still get a refurbished phone.

22. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Well, should they give you a brand new one? Unless your phone just came out of the box and is unused, I would say "not necessarily".

But I wouldn't worry about it. Like others have said, Apple refurbs are indistinguishable from new phones. You'll even get a reset on the factory warranty.

23. irod87 macrumors regular

If you want brand new it would have to be an exchange where you bought it. Apple with give you a refurbished unless they do an exception.

24. Schizoide thread starter macrumors member

Schizoide

If they say that the hissing is a problem and they don't exchange it for a new one I will need to return it to where I bought it from. I hope Apple gives me a better service than that since this is their fault and I don't want to become phoneless for two weeks.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Please come back and tell us what happened so that those who "know" can be educated.