Apple Store Refunds/Exchanges

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JohnnyQuest, Mar 7, 2008.

1. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

So I recently received the 500GB Time Capsule as a gift for my birthday. I was attempting to set it up for an entire day with no luck. I'm basically really fed up with it and just want to return it for store credit. Do you think my local Apple Store will do this? I'm pretty sure mine is defective but I also don't want to go through the hassle of an all-day setup process again. I read the warranty info and it says that a refund is possible, so I'm just trying to verify.

2. nintendude macrumors 6502

You can return it but you're gonna need to pay a restocking fee

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Are you totally sure? Not all Apple devices have a restocking fee. (i.e. the Airport Extreme base station doesn't)

4. JohnnyQuest thread starter macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Yeah I don't think that's totally true. If I hadn't opened the product and there wasn't anything wrong with it, I believe that is when one would have to pay a restocking fee. But mine doesn't work so I don't believe I have to.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, restocking only applies to open items returned for a refund. And again, not everything that Apple sells is subject to a restocking fee. Computers and iPods definitely are, but I don't know the full list.

There is no restocking fee to return an unopened item, so long as it's with the return window dates. :)

6. f1 macrumors 6502

There is no restocking fee on Airport base stations opened or unopened. Anyways, do you have a receipt?? The Apple Store is pretty strict about returns without receipts, they're technically not even obligated to offer you a store credit without a receipt.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That's interesting. Setting up a Time Capsule shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, at least according to people who I know who bought one. Maybe you should have posted here first for help with your setup problems.

8. JohnnyQuest thread starter macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Yeah unfortunately I did post but no one helped and the whole experience just pretty much sucked. I have the receipt, but it was ordered online. Will my local Apple Store take it you think?

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd call and ask your local store.

The policy is that returns from the online store need to be handled by the online store, but store managers have some discretion in this matter.

10. f1 macrumors 6502

Products bought online can be returned to an Apple Retail store but you can ONLY get a store credit, but that's what you want anyways, so go for it.

11. Pacer69 macrumors member

Shouldn't be a restock fee on defective merch. You should just be able to get a refund, I'd think. But store credit isn't the end of the world.

12. JohnnyQuest thread starter macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Oh I'm perfectly fine with store credit. i'll probably just buy an iPhone :)

13. f1 macrumors 6502

I think you can only use a credit card to buy an iPhone. Last i heard they won't even accept a split tender.

14. greenbags125 macrumors newbie

These items definitely have a restocking fee:

1. All iPods
    2. All Apple TVs
    3. iPhones
    4. All Computers

Everything else just needs to be returned within 14 days, with a receipt or the credit card used to purchase it.

Keep in mind opened software and RAM cannot be returned.

15. nmamur macrumors member

1) there is no restocking fee for the time capsule.
    2)you can buy an iPhone with a gift card.
    3)I dont think you will get your money back from them if you bought it online. Ask a manager...

16. Cavalier macrumors newbie

This is so stupid. If Apple doesn't let you return on-line purchases to their brick-and-mortar stores, then why don't they just make the on-line store a completely separate corporate entity ... if they do that, then people outside of California (or whereever i-store is located) could make purchases tax free.

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

ALSO, the restocking fee doesn't apply in the UK or Japan. However I'm not sure about other countries.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Here's an idea...
    Why doesn't the OP contact Apple on the support line?

Systems have 90 days and most accessories have 30 days,
    plus i think it's Toll-Free!

19. JohnnyQuest thread starter macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I went to the Apple Store yesterday and told them I wanted to return it for a refund. They apologized to me that the experience was bad and they said it wasn't a problem. The only issue was that since it was ordered online and with a credit card, it could not be refunded back to the card. So they gave me the option of mailing a check. So I accepted and they took my Time Capsule. Now I'm just waiting for the check in the mail...:)

20. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

WOW, that's superb news!! Your check shouldn't take more than 14days.. from experience.
    However in the event you don't get it, just call the store!

I'm so happy for you... but what will you buy?