Apple Store Return, proves that Apple is really Great.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by airjuggernaut, Dec 27, 2007.

1. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

So today I was all set to goto the Apple store to return my iMac, which i bought on Nov.2. Due to Apple's holiday return policy, which allows any mac purchased between Oct.31-Dec.24th to be returnable till Jan.8th. My iMac had hardware issues, and i was seriously having buyers remorse. I really wanted to get the Macbook, which is what I always really wanted. So i booked an appointment at the genius bar, and off i went to the apple store.

Since i got a free printer with a rebate with my Mac, there was the issue of the missing UPC from the iMac, which is required in order to complete the rebate. So I called and talked to them, they agreed to return my iMac as long as i had everything. This honestly alone was a great thing. My brother works retail and he said NO store would ever honour that, since you sent in the rebate, it basically voids any chance to return an item, but apple being as good as they are, honoured it, and said it would be fine when i got to the store.

When i got there, I was greeted by a nice Mac Genius named Shannon. I told him about my iMac's problems, he immedietly identified it as a hardware issue and said happily "Im going to replace this iMac with a new one". I then told him that I wanted to actually return it and get a macbook instead. He asked to see my recipt. It said Nov.2nd, so he said "Im sorry sir, you cant return this." I then told him about the holiday policy, which is applicable to me. I show it to him on Apple's website, but he then tells me that its only applicable to the online store, and that the Apple Retail Stores holiday policy is from Nov.15th-Dec.24th. CRAP im screwed. So he goes and talks to his manager, at which point the manager (Named David) comes out.

David kindly explains how i can't return the iMac because the holiday policy that covers the date i purchased it on, only applies to the online store. So after about 10 mins of kind reasoning the amazing manager agrees to return the iMac and give me a brand spankin' new Macbook :).

But of course there was one last thing. The 2.2ghz Macbook Costs $1450 in Canada, the iMac costs $1300. I didnt have $150 bucks to spare, but luckily since a store in Canada was having a boxing day sale, which brought the Macbook price down $1300, like it is in the states, I asked if the manager could match the price. At this point I knew I was REALLY pushing it, the guy already agreed to return a 2 month old iMac, thats WAY past any return date and now I'm asking for him to price match the Macbook. But luckily he agreed to do it ! He said "Since it's the holiday season, I'll do it". So I thanked him and Shannon alot, and off i went home with a brand new 2.2ghz Macbook.

I just posted this to let you know how amazing Apple is. I dont know any other store that would have done this for me. This just proves that Apple really wants to keep its customers happy, and is willing to goto great lengths. I really appreciate what The manager and the Genius did for me, because that was honestly great and very outstanding. I know i'm an idiot for waiting so long, but meh I have Macbook now :) And I ***** love this thing, way more than my iMac.

Im definetly going to leave an email to steve jobs, just so he knows how great his company and the Apple at Sherway Gardens is.

P.S The SR Macbook is great! No issues at all :)

2. jpod89 macrumors member

I'll have to go into the Sherway Apple Store for all my Apple needs, since it's so close!

Thanks for the story and the tip ;)

3. ronainsworth68 macrumors member

4. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Credit should go to apple, even though they do mess up SOME things (technical and hardware stuff), service like this is why people still stay faithful!

5. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah their service had my brother saying "Im gonna get an Apple as my next computer", and he's been a Windows/MS-DOS user for about 20 years now.

6. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

Their service is the worst part about them. Sure, they'll replace things, but if it was dell or lenovo, they'd be at your house the next day fixing or replacing it, or sending a new one overnight. if you don't live near an apple store you're practically screwed.

7. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Congrats on the new MacBook! I've also had pretty good experiences with Apple both in store and over the phone.

8. tuneman07 macrumors regular

That is great to hear that they did all that for you- it just makes more sense that whatever monetary loss they took in that transaction will likely be far outweighed by your future as a customer- I wish more companies understood that like Apple seems to.
    One of the main reasons I am looking to buy a Macbook and make the switch from PC is my Ipod experience. I went in and having no experience with Apple was prepared for a Geeksquadesque 4-12 weeks replacement time or something insane like that. Well after about 30 seconds of plugging in my Ipod the guy goes in the back, comes out and gives me a new (refurb) Ipod and tells me to have a nice day. Needless to say I was pretty impressed especially after Geeksquad informed me it would be several weeks for a replacement. Because Apple didn't sweat the return, I am now spending well over a grand at their store. Just makes more sense not to piss off the customer.

9. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

very true, I'm definetly going to buy another mac, when a need for a computer arises.

10. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

not to thread hijack but....

okay, so let me get this straight. I have until Jan 8, '08 to return my MacBook that was purchased on 11/26? if so, I may do this and upgrade to a 15" MBP.

I had a 17" MBP but that thing was too big to lug around. I'm hoping a 15" wont be too much of a big deal to lug around.

11. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, yes you can, but your going to get charged a Restock fee since there isnt anything actually wrong with your MBP. Try talking to a Manager...you MIGHT get out of paying the Restock fee.

12. Fiasco macrumors regular

Fiasco

Dell has NEVER come to fix my PC ever. I have had to send it in whenever there was a problem, and wait for it to come back. And last time I dealt with Lenovo, they had no such service.

13. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I bought an iMac years ago via the online store and when I was unhappy with the screen quality a technician came to have a look at it the day after I phoned apple support. After inspection het took the computer to the lab and they was send it back the next day with a replaced CRT. Unless things have changed your statement isn't true.

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Does this holiday return thing apply to UK stores?

15. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

16. je1ani macrumors 6502

Really? We bought our dell in December of 2006 and anytime we needed a problem solved that couldn't be done over the phone we always had a guy show up the very next day. Dells customer service is superior :D

17. f1 macrumors 6502

I don't think the Canadian Apple Stores were having a boxing day sale per se. I went to the Eaton Centre store, and they said they were the ONLY apple store in Canada selling "End of LIfe Macbooks" at the price you quoted. They were basically non santa rosa macbooks that have been marked down so they could get rid of them

18. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

This seems to be much more isolated then apple service being good. Honestly, everyone I know who has had a dell problem has had HORRID experiences (including our school too! you'd think they'd try to help big purchasers)

It's really gone downhill these last few years.

It took them 5 days to come to a friends of mine house just to look at it, then come back another 3 days later with parts, all of which failed within the next 3 months (just when it was out of warranty)

I've had people have 3 hour phone calls just to get a new charger for their laptop sent out.

2 of my friends have completely boycotted all things Dell because of their HORRIBLE customer service issues. They will literally not buy anything made by dell at all anymore.

Maybe it depends where you are located and what dell has around there, but their customer service from the 15 or so people I know who hate dell's service, has declined drastically these last few years. I believe there are some stats and articles floating around online pointint this out too.

They are outsourcing a lot of their call centers (more so then a lot of other companies too) apparently as well which could account for abit of the problems too.

All in all though, Dell is becoming known for poor customer service lately, but everyone will have different experiences. Some people have a horrible time with apple, I however have had nothing but great customer service from them. (in store AND via calling... one including a 1 day turnaround for a fix on my tibook 2 or so years ago... I wasn't aware a 1 day turnaround was even possible! lol)

Edit: I just wanted to point out as well, while maybe Apple has just decently mediocre customer service sometimes that is just about on par with dell etc (not my opinion, but other people may see it like this) there is one thing i noticed.

I NEVER hear stories like the above, and others on this forum where apple have completely replaced machines with brand new ones, or given huge discounts for inconveniences or done things that are completely above and beyond what any company would need to do, about ANY other company, so while lenovo (maybe even dell) and the others may deliver basic customer service a decent amount of the time, it seems that Apple is the only company that gives people reason to write about the AMAZING customer service and AWESOME experiences.

Maybe I just dont' read enough or don't talk to the right people, but the "WOW, I don't believe they gave me a free ::fill in blank::: or a brand new ::blank:: or a huge discount etc" stories usually arent' warranted from other companies, only Apple. I'm sure it has something to do with small market share and pleasing switchers, but either way, I likes it! :)

19. weckart macrumors 68040

Dell's service guarantee is configurable upon purchase and starts from 30 days return to base for the cheapest option. You pay for what you get.

20. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    They're awesome. I had a "why would they help me" experience too.

~ CB

21. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol would you like to share it with us :p?

22. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

the sad part is, the person who had all the damages parts replaced and die on him and such sad service had the top of the line service plan. I guess I know very unlucky people, or dell sucks.

Doesn't matter to me :) I love my mbp :)

23. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    LOL. Short and sweet. Dropped my iPhone on concrete from over my head. Thought I'd just dinged the side. Eventually saw crack in corner of the screen. Went to Apple with my original "Launch Day" iPhone bag. Said I understood that this wasn't their responsibility. They hooked me up and called it a technicality. Left with a perfect screen and a re-sync later, a greater dedication to never taking off my rubberized grip. :D

~ CB

24. Fiasco macrumors regular

Fiasco

They replaced the original macbook I purchased, the base $1098 model, which had a faulty screen, with the $1298 model I currently own, in the first week at no additional charge... It took 2 Genius appointments but they definitely took care of me.

25. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I've never seen anything but impeccable customer service from Apple. I went into the genius bar a few weeks ago and a guy came in with a 2nd generation Nano that had obviously been very mistreated, I mean the blue color of the aluminum case was worn off in a few places and it had a huge gouge right above the screen and a large dent in the back. The screen was not working on his iPod, and he only had about two weeks left on the warranty. The genius could have very easily told him that they couldn't do anything for him since his iPod had clearly been abused, it was highly likely that his problem stemmed from all the abuse. But the Genius just told him that it was good that he brought it in and immediately swapped it out for an identical one they still had in the back room, the replacement was still sealed in it's box. I have no worries that I will be taken care of should a problem arise with any of my Apple products.

On the other hand I had a compaq previous to my macbook and the customer service was horrendous. I couldn't even get an answer as to whether or not I could get a replacement windows disk.