Apple Store Sales Tax Holiday (BOSTON)

iMac321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Hi,

I heard that Mass sets tax-free shopping weekend for Aug. 14-15. I went to this site, but Apple doesn't have any information about Massachusetts sale tax holiday. Will Apple Retail and Online Store participate in this. Thank you

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA
Hi,

I heard that Mass sets tax-free shopping weekend for Aug. 14-15. I went to this site, but Apple doesn't have any information about Massachusetts sale tax holiday. Will Apple Retail and Online Store participate in this. Thank you
Hey iMac321. I live in Cambridge, MA. I'm pretty sure they eliminated Tax Free weekend as of 2009, due to the state of the economy. I could be wrong though.

Update:

Apparently it went to a vote in the State House of Reps (won), but didn't get passed in the State Senate. There was a resolution on 07/31. Not sure if that passed though.

Aboo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA

CommanderData

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
Why not just drive over the border to the Apple store in the Rockingham Mall, Salem NH?

That way you can get stuff tax free whenever you feel like it ;)

rufus247

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2009
Putting the specific dates aside, this is a good thread. So back to the original question, does anyone know if tax free holidays apply online?

BIS2

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2004
I'm wondering this too....I'd like to get a cheap printer but often in the stores they are out. I noticed it says this in the apple link someone posted above:

"If the customer wishes to order online, they must have a Massachusetts shipping address in order to take advantage of the tax holiday."

So that makes it seem like you can order online, but I read something in the paper in the last few days saying the tax free holiday would prevent people from buying online. So I'm not sure.

iMac321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
update: The Sale Tax Holiday will be on Apple Online Store,too !!

AgentMango

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
It's a good thing I checked this section of the board before it was too late to cancel my MacBook Pro order.

The transaction does not qualify for the exemption:

• The item costs more than $2,500 before tax. When the price of an individual item is more than $2,500, sales tax is due on the entire transaction. For example if a computer and display sold as a bundled product cost of $3,000, then the entire transaction is taxable, not just the amount above $2,500.
  • The item is purchased for use in a trade or business. This exemption only applies to sales to individuals who will be using the item for personal use.
  • The item is purchased with the education (institution) discount.
Wait... so, if I were to order a MacBook Pro using my student discount, my order won't be qualified for this tax exemption? :confused:

RogueVasion

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
MA/CT
http://www.projo.com/economy/MASS_TAX_HOLIDAY_08-03-10_TIJDR8O_v31.20ebb0e.html

it is going on...next weekend.

and i'm not sure if the apple store is doing it, but because i have my premier silver reward zone at bestbuy...i bought my macbook pro a week ago and gave me the edu discount plus my ipod touch. they said if the tax free weekend was approved, to take it back in and get my adjustment.

i live right outside of north attleboro, ma.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It's a good thing I checked this section of the board before it was too late to cancel my MacBook Pro order.

Wait... so, if I were to order a MacBook Pro using my student discount, my order won't be qualified for this tax exemption? :confused:
No, you should be fine because you are purchasing for yourself, not an institution.

Ringo67

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2007
I'm planning to buy an iPad next weekend.

So, I called the Natick store yesterday to ask if I need to reserve one. The guy I talked to said the store would have something on their site next week.

Looking at the Natick store's site, though, it looks pretty similar to other Apple Store sites, and I'm thinking maybe the guy was just feeding me a line.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

iMac321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
So the tax will be excluded after you complete the order right? :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.