Apple store scratched my unibody...(UPDATED)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dan5.5, Nov 1, 2009.

1. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone!!!

I was having someover heating issues with my uMBP. I dropped it off at the apple store to have it checked out. Long story short, they found nothing wrong.

I come to pick up the computer, and there is a scratch on the lid.

They agree to replace the lid, and I am out of a computer for 7 days.

Just venting... I am a college student and I don't have a computer for 7 days.

Sorry for the bad formating. Typing this from my iPhone.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I came in expecting to see yet another thread about how apple has lost you as a customer :D

Glad to see they are fixing it.

3. dan5.5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I love macs! I would never get a pc anytime soon. The build quality is great! The software is amazing. Best computer I have ever had.

4. dan5.5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple store did the repair, but the lid is uneven. Update to come

5. dan5.5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: Apple replaced my mbp with a 2.66... Everything is great except the hard drive is vibrating... it is really really bothering me.
    What should I do about it? Would apple replace the HDD? Could it be that the HDD is not seated properly?

Thanks everyone for your help

6. smknSRT8 macrumors newbie

Man, that is terrible luck. I hope everything turns out good for you.

7. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Man sorry...I know how this feels. It's ridiculous at times. I would take it back and tell them the replacement has a problem.

8. dan5.5 thread starter macrumors 6502

it was a replacement through the mail...

9. AreYouAMac macrumors regular

You can still bring it in an Apple Store.

Don't go to one of those - Official Apple Repair Shops - I don't think I would trust them as they don't have much of a higher standard as Apple.

Good luck with it. I would go in to an Apple Store and let them swap the HDD right then and there so you don't have to go days without the mac.

10. dan5.5 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I am planning on doing. I made an appointment for saturday. I am hoping that they can swap the hdd on the spot.

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I feel your pain. I had to get my Unibody MacBook Pro looked at in an Apple store a few days ago (dodgy battery). After they did some testing they gave me a new battery, which was great. However my eyes bulged in fear as the genius flipped the mac over on its lid on the surface as he opened up the bottom to put in the new battery.

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Is it a 7200RPM? Those cause vibrations in the casing.

13. dan5.5 thread starter macrumors 6502

nope, stock 5400rpm Hitachi drive

14. enderello macrumors newbie

I installed a 7200rpm HDD. It doesn't cause any vibration.

15. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

This is something I HATE about people...they treat your stuff like it's nothing. "oh it won't hurt it" etc. Well give me your stuff and let me bang it around moron. When you see someone act like that it's clear you are not getting conscientious repair either. It is REALLY easy to take simple precautions like soft surfaces and gloves or washing your hands so I don't end up with dents and your cheeseburger grease finger prints all over.

16. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I agree with everything you said...but Apple quality control leaves much to be desired.

17. dan5.5 thread starter macrumors 6502

True, but compared to Dell, apple is just amazing.

18. dan5.5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hate when they do that. They should have a rubber service on the counter.

19. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

With Dell I can purchase a 3 year, on site, next business day warranty that has Dell come to me to do a repair, and cheaper then apple care. Until Apple can match that, I don't consider them amazing.

I have it on my Dell M90 laptop and they came out once just to replace the power supply. Now that is service.

20. dan5.5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, but the quality of a Dell laptop is crap. I haD so many issues with my Dell. That thing was a piece of crap!

21. Sku11y macrumors newbie

I took my MacBook to the apple store when the spacebar become massively sensitive.

You could literally rest your finger on it and get spaces typed in.

Had the keyboard replaced on the spot.

Genius came back, put the laptop on the side and started to rub at the top of the casing. Stopped, came over to me. Said it's all done now thanks and ran off.

There was an enourmous scratch all the way along the top of the lid.

Had to wait twenty minute to get seen again only to have him say, Yeh sorry about that I'll replace it.

Got it back the next day scratch free.

What annoyed me the most was that he tried to palm it off to me and run off. As if I wouldn't notice!

22. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

This is so subjective...I had a Compaq that was great for nearly a decade and would still be alive if I felt the HD and display were worth replacing...if the specs weren't so outdated I would probably have fixed it. Most people say Compaq is crap but my experience was good with 3 of them over the years. My first two Apple products have issues so in my experiences Compaq is better than Apple. See how that goes?

It's all in the luck of your experience.

23. smknSRT8 macrumors newbie

How many times have you to use it, just the one?

24. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

I would bring something like this to the attention of a manager. Apple service is usually great, but it seems these little things happen and hinder the experience. Happened to me a few times.

25. dan5.5 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's pretty annoying. The genius wanted me take it home in the wrapping that they have the laptop in. I told
    him that unless I loo at it, I don't sign the paper. And then he tried to convince me that the scratch was there