Apple Store Screwed Up my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macdudesir, May 2, 2012.

1. macdudesir macrumors 6502

Ok, so here is the back story, my iMac was experiencing some display issues, but other than those, it worked perfectly. So after a while i got tired of it and sent it to the apple store for repairs. (under warrantee) fast forward a week, i just got the computer back from the Apple Store and brought it home and tried to turn it on....nothing...black screen no boot sound, the only sign of life is a slight clicking noise (fast, like the fan hitting a piece of paper or something) every few seconds...thats it. tried an smc reset and nothing happened. any suggestions? i would rather not take it back to the store as it is a 2 hr drive.
    Thanks.

Edit: now, i put my ear close to the air vents in the back, and after i press the power button, the fans sound like they rev, shut off, rev, shut off, rev, shut off...etc...

2. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

You gotta take it back... I wouldn't leave without a brand new one off the shelf.

3. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Take it back to the store and get a new one. Is there more?

4. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

well i was hoping there was something i could do at home...but i guess not... do you think they would replace it or try to repair it again? I'd rather get a new one because their repair this time obviously didn't go well, plus there is dust under the glass and fingerprints all over the screen. Would it be unreasonable to demand a new one?

5. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

6. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

its almost a year old, its not like i bought it today....

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You're not going to get a new one if the machine is a year old but you do need to take it back and if necessary speak to a manager.

8. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Take it back, If they can't repair it they might replace it with a Brand NEW one

9. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Sorry, I do not see where you posted that it was a year old. Still, talk to a manager in a firm and reasoned way.

Best of luck.

10. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone...looks like I'm going to the apple store again tomorrow:mad:...not crazy about the drive but, its a lot better than having a 30 pound paperweight. lol :p
    Thanks again.

11. Cooshan macrumors newbie

Sounds like exactly what happened to me. Means your hard drive is fried. You can fix it yourself by replacing the hard drive. There are tons of guides out there to do this just google your specific mac model. It's quite tedious but as long as you take care and remember where every thing went should be np.

It will void your warranty though.

12. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I had taken my MacBook in for a top case and inverter cable replacement. When I got it back my wifi didn't work. I called the Apple Store as I was about 3 hours away. They said to bring it back and they would have to send it off for repairs. I even tried a different Apple Store and they sent it off. Guess they don't want to be responsible for anything going wrong at the store level.

I'd call them and see what they have to say. If it's going to have to be sent off, maybe they can send you a shipping box so you won't have to drive. They did that to me years ago. Got the box the next day.

13. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Mini-rant:
    My Macbook air I purchased on October 6, 2011 had 4 broken keys. I get the entire topcase replaced. Then when I picked it up a few days later brought it home etc. the mouse was not working!
    I take it to the store where they try to help me get some important documents off where they are unable to.
    Somehow when they disconnected the topcase and used an external keypbard 5 documents were lost and I had to redo them last night.

Meanwhile they blamed me and are repairing it again. Why would they not test the computer????

Also this was the manager who tried to sell me a firewire hard drive! (No firewire port on Macbook air)

14. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

MBA's don't even have a mouse, what in the world are you talking about?

15. WRP macrumors 6502a

You don't think he could be talking about the trackpad and mispoke? :rolleyes:

16. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Well, maybe, but if we're using language to communicate ideas, don't you think it's important to use the correct aardvarks? Otherwise, airplanes are difficult, if not yellow.

17. ancelrick macrumors member

ancelrick

bad info.. this will not fix it.

18. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

What I thInk is the poster doesn't kow what he has and possibly not how to care for it. Getting mouse and trackpad confused would be difficult unless the person has never used a mouse before which is unlikely.

19. ancelrick, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

ancelrick macrumors member

ancelrick

more bad info. no iMac service shipping boxes exist, the iMac will be serviced at the store.

----------

they haven't sold firewire only external hard drives in years... so the drive in question had USB ports as well... but you know more than they do. lol

20. WRP macrumors 6502a

You've never mispoke? I use a trackball every day. I have mistakenly called it a mouse and I have used a computer everyday for the last 20 years. Give it a rest.

21. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Interesting. I guess we just pack it up ourselves.

22. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

For many people English is not a first language, please be more understanding about this.

Also someone could be dyslexic and it is only polite to be more forgiving, it's not as if you are preparing a speech for the Queen.

23. davys macrumors regular

Have a virtual drink, Sir. It's the best laugh I've had all day!

24. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Mispoken, aardvark!:rolleyes: :D

25. WRP macrumors 6502a

touché :D