Apple Store Thanksgiving Event

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple is hosting another special Apple event at Apple stores across the country.

Get a head start on your holiday shopping — join us at the Apple Store Friday, November 29th from 6:00pm to Midnight for an event you won’t want to miss. Starting at 6:00pm sharp, enjoy free stocking-stuffers, special savings and a chance to win a new 15-inch iMac.
One-night only deals will also be available at the Apple Online Store.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Yeah, last time I tried to go to a "special event" at the Apple store (Jaguar release) the line wrapped halfway around the mall! If they're giving away free stuff, you'd better get there 6 hours early (unless you like standing in lines) :D

And a side note, this is the 3rd positive story on Mac rumors today! Maybe that's a sign of a good week ahead? :cool:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: New product announcement?

Originally posted by Timothy
Does anyone get the sense that this could include a new product announcement?
no... looks like just a sale.

arn

voicegy

macrumors 65816
I agree with dricci above that if you plan on going to this event, get there a nice 3 hours early. The last event (Jaguar and give-away) at our Fashion Valley store brought more people there than the original opening...it was a TREMENDOUS response, and one that I was proud of being a part of (those PeeCee people just don't get it!)

However, I am befuddled by ONE thing...I, as many others, entered the free computer drawing, but I never heard a word since...were only the winners contacted via e-mail or phone? Did a "winners' list" ever make it to the Apple site?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Its not worth it - I went to the Jaguar event and realized that I am on the low end of the Apple geek scale, really :D I got my jaguar mouse pad and entered in for the free macs - and even after trying to follow up and find out who won them, Apple wouldn't release the names of the winners.

It was crowded and quite a disappointment. But also, to give them a little credit, they might change things this time so it works a bit smoother.

Someone make sure to post from the store to update us on the event if you can.

D

Timothy

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2002
Seattle, WA
Why?

I can understand why there was excitement over the release of Jaguar, and why this was enough to draw large crowds to the previous in-store event sponsored by Apple. But, why would one attend this specific event?

If we don't expect any new product or announcements...what's the draw? I learned at the Jaguar Release party that, I too, am on the low-end of mac geekdom; there were some mac geeks there that certainly made me look vanilla by comparison.

I mean, I just couldn't get as wrapped into a frenzy over a t-shirt or mouse pad as most of the crowd, and quietly left, wondering why I associated with this crowd? It was a bit embarrasing... :D

So, really, no new products, no new announcements, and you still expect a crowd at this event?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Any idea what the sale particulars would be? At the Jaguar release, got a 10% discount on the purchase of a CPU.

AssassinOfGates

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
A cardboard box.
Re: Why?

I can understand why there was excitement over the release of Jaguar, and why this was enough to draw large crowds to the previous in-store event sponsored by Apple. But, why would one attend this specific event?
Tis the first day of christmas shopping by default. The day after thanksgiving.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
UGGGGGHHHHHHHH me mad again. I am mad at apple for not
having an apple store in Austin... It is the perfect place. There
is a major college (UT) and Austinites, usually, like things that are
creative and beautiful like apple products. I think that if apple
released a store in Austin, that laptops would fly off the shelves
to college students (and iPods) and people would buy a bunch
of desktops there. It would always be packed... I know I would
be there often. And this sale makes me reaaaaaaally want an
apple store. :rolleyes:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Why?

So, really, no new products, no new announcements, and you still expect a crowd at this event?
You ever been to the mall the day after Thanksgiving?

It's insanity... how many people are out.

It makes sense to have a sale... many places do.

arn

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Yeah, everyone is returning that turquoise turtle-neck long sleeve
t-shirt their grandma got them :D. Well, maybe not everyone, but
I know I will be. Too bad there isn't an apple store in Austin :mad:
(See above post)

ChicagoMac

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
Battle Creek, MI
Originally posted by scem0
Yeah, everyone is returning that turquoise turtle-neck long sleeve
t-shirt their grandma got them :D. Well, maybe not everyone, but
I know I will be. Too bad there isn't an apple store in Austin :mad:
(See above post)

I usually wait until the day after Christmas to return my gifts, not the day after thanksgiving.:p

Anyway, why go to the mall that evening when there will be a sale online as well? I already have enough t-shirts and plastic mouse pads. No need to wait in a long line for more. And besides, you'll save money paying for shipping instead of sales tax if you're buying any kind of hardware.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Originally posted by ChicagoMac
Anyway, why go to the mall that evening when there will be a sale online as well? I already have enough t-shirts and plastic mouse pads. No need to wait in a long line for more.
one can never have too many t-shirts and mousepads. thats why i'm goin, and its one of the reasons i went to the jaguar release party :)

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
Originally posted by Choppaface
so do they only give out mousepads or is there better stuff that might justify a trip down to stanford? :D
The closest Apple Store is 2 hours away from me. Not worth the trip because I know it'll be packed. And it's funny how Apple will give you a mousepad to go with your Apple Pro optical mouse that doesn't even need a mousepad. I bet I can find everything that Apple is giving away cheap on eBay.

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
So what's gonna be on sale?

I expect we'll see sales for the iPod (which is getting heavy marketing this holiday season via Target, Best Buy and even archnemesis Dull Computer) and for older, dated models like the 15" LCD iMac...

... but can we anticipate 10% price reductions for all computer models ála the Jaguar release? More specifically, should I postpone my imminent PowerBook purchase until Black Friday so that I can cash in on some Post-Thanksgiving discounts?

Even if there's a 10% reduction, that can translate over to a couple hundred dollars depending on the final purchase... a very attractive offer to a prospective computer buyer like myself.

Any clues? Suspicions? Holla back, kids.

:confused:

madforrit

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berkeley, CA
stanfurd??

Originally posted by Choppaface
so do they only give out mousepads or is there better stuff that might justify a trip down to stanford? :D
hahahaha....no need to go to the farm....there's an Apple Store in Emeryville now. (Bay Street Mall)

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Hmmm. I may make it to the Palo Alto store. I wonder if Jobs will be there again? He does live close to that store.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by pgwalsh
Hmmm. I may make it to the Palo Alto store. I wonder if Jobs will be there again? He does live close to that store.
\

Maybe you'll be able to get an autograph! Say hello to him for us!