Apple Store. Very unprofessional! (Buying the iPhone w/o contract.)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iDentist, Sep 4, 2010.

1. iDentist macrumors newbie

What's the deal with iPhone 4 no contract sale?

I called Apple Store a dozen times in past 2 months to check if they sell the iPhone without contract and if they have it in stock. Every time they told me that I can buy it, but it is out of stock. OK.

Finally the day when they had it in stock came, and I went on a 2 hour drive to the nearest Apple store.

Apple Store Westfarms
    500 Westfarms MallFarmington, CT 06032(860) 521-7997

The welcome guy greets me, I explain what I want (iPhone 4 without a contract). He says no problem, $599, and stand in the line there.

While in line, another employee approached me. I explain the situation, and he says I will be next soon.

After 1h of waiting, it’s my turn. I say what I want again. He goes to the register, brings the iPhone, scans it with his device and denies me the sale!

With the bad attitude and an apology, that's all he had to say.

What is going on? What’s the deal? People are buying tit all over The States without a contract.

What do you think about this? And what do you do if you were me? Whom to complain?

2. toss002 macrumors regular

What was the reason for the 'deny'? Did you ask to speak to the manager?

3. iDentist thread starter macrumors newbie

"New rule." The other guys didn't even know that. He even didn't know that prior to scanning the box.

4. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Call and complain. Doesn't hurt!

My friend ordered a MacBook Pro off the Apple Store and they don't display taxed prices on the order confirmation screen so when he got the bill for the order he called them and complained. They ended up knocking $150 off the bill

You might get somewhere, hopefully! Sucks that you got denied.. doesn't really make sense especially since it's advertised on their site.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...Apple said they made a new rule so you couldn't buy it without a contract at the apple store?

6. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Well if you live in the USA don't you HAVE to buy an iPhone with an AT&T contract?

7. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Only if you want it at the subsidized price.

AT&T is the only official carrier though, and the only carrier period, I you want to use 3G on it.

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

So do you have a current AT&T line open to use the iPhone 4 on? They will not sell it to you without having a current line to use the phone on. If it's not an iPhone plan with a data plan already, it will be converted to one.

9. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I don't understand this thread.

It seems like a few paragraphs or sentences or posts are missing from the OP.

What were you denied for? They do not sell phones in an Apple store without a contract?

Did a siren go off when he went to ring it? Did he place his palm outwards towards your face? Did he wag his finger like Dikembe in front of you?

10. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Ditto. When he said "no", did you not think to maybe then say "why?"

11. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

Hopefully this ends this !!!! You can't buy an unsubsidized iPhone anymore until Steve says so. In the beginning you could but you can't now.

12. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Actually, I think its only in Nevada.;)

13. iDentist thread starter macrumors newbie

I asked and he started to be rude. He didn't know why and he's sorry.

Why am I being told repeatedly that it can be bought? Why are people still buying it w/o contract?

14. Beligerent macrumors regular

Beligerent

I work at an AT&T store and I can tell you that we wont sell an iPhone 4 to a non customer at full retail. If a current customer wants one for $599 different story. I think in our case its the international students. They come in 4 at a time, all buy iPhones at $599 then poof...right to Europe and Asia the phone goes meanwhile our actual customers have to wait cause we are out of stock now.

15. iDentist thread starter macrumors newbie

In ATT store I was told tat you cannot buy it without a contract at all.

The price is high enough, so why do they care?

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

lol no.

they do that because your store gets more money if you make a customer sign a contract, or process a HUP.

it's sad, but the sales associates/store owners are greedy as ****.

17. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

It's not greed. It's business.

18. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

They are interchangeable :p

19. CW Jones macrumors 6502

To be honest.. They do seem pretty rude at that store (its about 5 minutes from me). They do know what they are talking about most times though.

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

OP: are you a current AT&T customer? While it is possible to purchase an iPhone 4 at the unsubsidized price (and thereby avoid renewing your contract for two years), it is my understanding that you can only do so if you are a current AT&T postpaid customer.

21. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

damn foreigners eh? :rolleyes:

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed. Without more information it isn't interesting.

23. taran420 macrumors 6502a

you cant buy it w/o a contract because it is sold locked to AT&T in the states. Last year i bought a 3GS outright in canada, $699 and they asked for my number so they could activate it to rogers since its a locked phone.

Your story is missing a lot of details, i'm guessing they denied you the sale cause you dont have a AT&T account and they cant let you buy a phone w/o an account because it needs to be locked, no matter what the price is.

or you can get on in canada for the same price and it will be factory unlocked, sold to you with no questions asked

24. iDentist thread starter macrumors newbie

There is nothing missing from the post.

It is locked to ATT but sold without a contract.

I am not a ATT customer, but that doesn't matter. I was told repeatedly that I can but he phone w/o contract. Even in the NYC Apple store.

25. Maccleduff macrumors regular

I feel sorry for you guys in the US, here in the UK we can walk into any apple store and buy one off the shelf network unlocked to do as we please :p