apple store will give fast ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jameshk, Jul 26, 2011.

1. jameshk macrumors member

hey guys...if i wanna get super duper fast n stable ssd for mbp17 2011 which one should i get?? if i buy ssd from apple store will i get the fastest ssd?

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

No, the SSDs apple uses are relatively slow. While it's debatable what's the fastest, I would get a Vertex 3 MAX IOPS

3. altecXP macrumors 65816

Corsair Force GT, it and OWC are top dogs for fastest SATA3 SSD now, and the Force GT is cheaper.

4. jameshk, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011

jameshk thread starter macrumors member

is force gt stable? problem free...?

vertex max iop got problem ??i scare my data all lost when doing my work...

5. ahdickter macrumors 6502

The SSD's Apple puts in their MBP's are SATA II. You're gonna want to choose an SATA III drive for the best speeds. Now the fastest drives are currently equipped with the SandForce chip, which has been known to have some stability issues.

For the best stability of an SATA III SSD, definitely go with the Crucial M4. Coupled with version 2 firmware makes it a stable SSD. Although theoretical speeds are lower than SandForce (415MB/s vs 550MB/s) you won't notice any difference in real world tests. The only downside to the M4 is that it has inadequate garbage collection, but that can be fixed with TRIM enabler hack that still works in Lion.

The bottom line is that for some people, the Vertex 3 works fantastically and they love it. Other hate it. Several others love the OWC SSD's. For ultimate stability, go with the Crucial M4. If you like to live on the wild side, go with a Vertex 3 (OCZ still has a good warranty policy.)

Because picking an SSD is like putting your hand in a bag of marbles: you never know what you're gonna get :D

6. jameshk thread starter macrumors member

@_@" u will buy which one?if the mbp 17 is yours...?

i really dunno how to decide...

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Pick the one that best fits your needs ;)

I like OWC, Vertex and Intel. While intel may not be the fastest its generally the most stable (320 controller bug aside).

Check out this thread for more information

8. jameshk thread starter macrumors member

intel running sata 3? the speed is how many mb/s?

9. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I think you should start doing your own research instead of acting like a boy/baby. People on macrumors forums are glad to help and actually want to help. But asking questions that you should've looked it up on your own easily by going to google.com or searching in the forums.

Do you even know there are many SSD series from Intel? So by asking how many mb/s, its something you really need to find it yourself.

http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/productinformation.htm

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check out the linked thread that I had in my post. HellHammer who created that provided an incredible amount of detail. As NZed stated, you need to do your own leg work. By reviewing some of what I linked too, and reading up on the technology you can make an informed and educated decision.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have an older Corsair P128. It's been a real trouper and never have had any issues with it. Originally it was installed in a 2009 MBP but I transplanted it when I upgraded to the 2011 model. It boots up in 15 sec and I rarely get beach balls. I don't know if this model is typical of all Corsairs but I know it will be the first brand I look into when the 256GB model prices start conforming to my budget.

12. jameshk thread starter macrumors member

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm planning on getting a Corsair Force 120GB or their performance 3 series.

14. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

jameshk,

You have to just make a choice. There is never going to be a "best", especially considering that different drives are suited for different applications.

You have been given a couple of suggestions that are known to be compatible. Go with one of them or do some additional research. Eventually, the thread will spiral into suggestions from people's personal experience; partially useful, but far from unbiased and empirical.

15. jameshk thread starter macrumors member

i edit video from window7 alot...rarely use mac os...which ssd i should get?:confused:

16. thewalshter macrumors newbie

thewalshter

I have a Samsung ssd470 in a Macbook Pro very stable no problems apart from lion not offering trim. Went for Samsung due to Apple oem drives all been Samsung and Toshiba, hope for better compatibility.Speed good boots in 15 seconds, just waiting for trim enabler update.

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Get a PC?

18. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Exactly. Why buy a Mac when your OS of choice is Windows?

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As others have stated do your own research. Plenty of folks here provided ample amounts of information for you to figure out how best to proceed. We cannot make the decision for you, its your money so you'll need to do your own leg work.

20. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

The old one still works

21. jameshk thread starter macrumors member

because my mbp is a present...so i got no choice...and see what can i do with it....:eek:

22. jameshk thread starter macrumors member

hey guys i bought vertex 3 already...but i install window 7 on the system only...i give up apple coz space problem...do i need to trim it??:confused:

23. randomrazr macrumors 65816

the problem iscasue ur using windows on a mac computer LOL

24. tekkietekkie macrumors member

clearly you made your windows partition to large, install sl / lion and then after setup winblows if you really need it

25. jameshk thread starter macrumors member

i didn't use mac so i didn't install it...
    because my mbp 17 is a gift....so i got no choice...why sometime i start up my mbp17 it will error and and restart for 2nd time then only i can go in my windows7?? some time disk error and ask me ctrl + alt + del
    sometime diskimg error , sometime white screen there jam...is it my vertex3 got prob??but after go in windows7 it work normal....i test atto benchmark the highest is 350mb/s only...is this normal?? :confused: