MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Beyond the release of the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, customers have noted some other minor updates to the Apple Store:

- Apple's Intel Xserve is now available for pre-order and shipping is expected by mid-November.
- New packaging for Apple's Apple Care Protection Plan
- The addition of a 750GB hard drive option for the 24" iMac.

Apple's MacBook remains untouched since its initial release in May. Rumors of MacBook updates have been intermingled with the MacBook Pro rumors, with expectations of updates before the holidays.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Cool! The 750 GB HDD option on the iMac is pretty sweet. For a AIO like the iMac, it's nice to see Apple equipping it with options like this (and the 3 GB of RAM) which will extend its longevity. :cool:

Also, nice to see the Xserve is finally available for ordering, I know our lab guys have wanted to pick one up for the longest time.

Comment

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Apple has also added a 750GB hard disk for the Mac Pro for $399.00 and the 500GB now sells for $199.00 in bay 1. For bays 2 - 4 the prices are $599 and $399.

Comment

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Xserve lags so far behind the Mac Pro in release, costs much more, has little to make it better and just as much to make it worse. I would love to have an Xserve, but I don't understand why anyone would buy one.

Comment

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Chaszmyr said:
Xserve lags so far behind the Mac Pro in release, costs much more, has little to make it better and just as much to make it worse. I would love to have an Xserve, but I don't understand why anyone would buy one.

It's for buisnesses. It whouldn't be very practical for an individual. It whould be cool, but damn expensive to maintain for just one person.

Comment

TESEV

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2006
New Orleans, LA
The 750 HD option is on the Mac Pro as well as the 24" iMac. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they changed the layout on several of their store pages too.

Comment

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Chaszmyr said:

I believe, for a server, it offers much more. I think it has redundant power supplies, lights-out operation and includes Mac OS X server. Since you obviously don't need those things (since you see no value in them) I don't know why you would want one.

Comment

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
TESEV said:
The 750 HD option is on the Mac Pro as well as the 24" iMac. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they changed the layout on several of their store pages too.

They changed some of the prices slightly (at least the academic versions). But what I can't figure out is that I configured a MacPro changing to 2 gig ram, bluetooth and wifi, wireless keyboard and mouse and somehow saved $2. what an odd amount.

cheers.

Comment

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
I just bought two of those Seagate 750GB drives, so far so good. Won't be long before we get the 1TB drive.

Comment

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
Chaszmyr said:

It's a called a server. It's for serving networks.

Anyway, the updated scheme for the Apple Store looks nice.

Comment

easlerjj

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
If you go all out with an Xserve config (including a 7 TB RAID) the price tag comes just shy of $100,000. :eek:

Comment

enygma

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2004
jholzner said:
I believe, for a server, it offers much more. I think it has redundant power supplies, lights-out operation and includes Mac OS X server. Since you obviously don't need those things (since you see no value in them) I don't know why you would want one.
Keep in mind, other than OS X server, things like that redundant power supply are cost extra options.

For someone like me, I was thinking of purchasing 2 of these things, however, cost really is a factor for me here. My primary application is a render node for computer graphics. Problem is, for the price the XServe costs with 2GB memory and a 2.66GHz dual processor system, I can get a Boxx render node system with the a 3.0GHz configuration and OpenSUSE 10.1 for for less. As much as I would like this system, I'll have to pass for now until I am ready to put together a SAN.

EDIT: Heck, for the configuration I really want, it is over $1000 more for the XServe as opposed to the Boxx rendernode.

Comment

nicksoper

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
Cape Town
Macbooks

As much as I'd like a new macbook or iMac with a 750gb hard disk, I think I'm going to stick with what I've got until 802.11n and HD/Blueray burners are standardised on the mac.

I'd personally like to see a smaller macbook revision, for ultra traveling, possibly with extra securty for the traveler....

Comment

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
They also added a chat room while you configuring a system that lets you chat with a apple rep. Really neat.

Comment

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
this definitely makes the imac more appealing to me. I was thinking of getting a macbook pro and replacing my existing macbook, but an imac with that much storage built in is very tempting. I've seen 750GB hard drives available on OWC for a while now, so it's about time apple made it available.

Comment

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
vendettabass said:
I guess this is when the C2D macbook rumors begin!!

Nah - those rumors have been around the block, and back!!! And there has been much said in the forums about this too. *sigh* :rolleyes:

Comment

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not sure how many people would want a smaller macbook. Some people I've shown my MB to say they don't care for the small screen, which always seemed like plenty to me. apple may be working on a small ultraportable, but for now the only real change we'll see for a while is C2D. Also, the smaller you go, the less room there is for an optical drive.

Comment

timdorr

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2002
jholzner said:

However, it's still way overpriced compared to other server manufacturers providing the same thing. Dell's pricing on their website is cheaper and you can probably get about 1/4 off of that by going through a rep. I'd be curious to know if Apple offers the same kind of sales techniques to get a better deal, or if what you see is what you get?

As it is, our local server builder can make a machine for about half the price with the equivalent components. Apple's marking up these machines way too high IMHO.

Comment

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
ghall said:
It's for buisnesses. It whouldn't be very practical for an individual. It whould be cool, but damn expensive to maintain for just one person.

At Apple's prices, it's hard to understand how any business can justify switching to Xserve. Sorry, but I can buy several Dells with the same CPUs and RAM for what Apple is charging. This is unbelieveable. I canb buy SuperMicro or Tyan 1U barebones and assemble all the remaining CPUs/components myself and set it up in about 2 to 3 hours and probably still come out 1/5th the price of the Xserve. This just makes absolutely no sense at all.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.