Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X2468

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
Scalpers are everywhere. It's a fact of life. Why make such a big deal about it. Have patience. It's that simple.

It's only an iPad, that most here will drop like it's hot, the moment a new model is revealed. Apples got it's worshippers programmed like Pavlov dogs.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
U will find Texans a lot more friendlier. And it's true that everything is really bigger in Texas. :). Gotta luv those cheap all u can eat buffets :d

Try driving I-35E out of Downtown Dallas and we'll see how friendly those Texans really are...Don't bother using your directional signal when changing lanes because the guy in that line is sure to speed up to cut you off.

I used to live there...I know...

People are people...and there really is no such thing as regional/cultural-specific courtesy. Society as a whole has become less courteous...and the myth of Southern hospitality is nothing more than a dream anymore.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
U will find Texans a lot more friendlier. And it's true that everything is really bigger in Texas. :). Gotta luv those cheap all u can eat buffets :d

No kidding!! :D Went to this place ' North Main BBQ ' last weekend [someone recommended it] and it was amazing!! :eek: Never had better Brisket and Ribs!

josun

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
Thanks. I didn't mean to offend anyone at all. I only mentioned that he was Asian because it seems that the majority of scalpers reported here and other news sites are Asian.

If I didn't mention that he was Asian, I bet the first reply would have been, "Was he Asian?" You just can't win sometimes.

You don't have to apologize. What's wrong with reporting what you actually saw? If that guy behind you was an Asian, he WAS an Asian and you are free to say so since you aren't making an assumption here. The fault may lie with the Apple store employee as it's possible that that guy was really buying them for his family members or something.

TheModerate

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
Best way is to make scalpers choke on their stock - don't buy it!

You are not actually suggesting, to create fake e-bay accounts and bid on iPad2s just to not buy them or letting craigslist people run through all of your local city just to sit in a cafe for two hours alone and so on, are you?!?

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Apple Store's fail. If you make a rule, obey it at all costs. The man comes there and lines up for hours, so be it. If you don't want this, supply sufficient stocks.

tpavur

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
I think the issue not that the scalper was Asian but that the Apple store employee made a very big, and possibly problematic decision, based on a judgement call.

I personally have absolutely no problem with buying iPads and reselling them abroad. So what?! If you really want an iPad, get up sooner and put in the effort to obtain one. Why do you (meaning people) deserve an iPad just because you want one? Life isn't fair.

When you say "you" do you mean white people?

Muscleflex

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
whilst this is definitely good news, i find it hard to believe that a person could remember what a customer looks like. especially after serving hundreds in a busy environment.
and we all know that to white people, asian/oriental people all look the same!
i am not white and have been mistaken for a chinese (which i am not) and to me, they still look all the same!

epictempo

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
whilst this is definitely good news, i find it hard to believe that a person could remember what a customer looks like. especially after serving hundreds in a busy environment.
and we all know that to white people, asian/oriental people all look the same!
i am not white and have been mistaken for a chinese (which i am not) and to me, they still look all the same!

You're scientifically right actually, albeit ignorant. There's a study showing how most races could more easily distinguish their own and not others. Was watching the Real Housewives of OC and I can't tell those blondes(fake) apart.

tpavur

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
A few things need to happen at this Apple store...

1) If that Apple employee is a manager; the whole store needs a refresher class on bottom line sales.

2) Clearly sales/customer service is not for this employee; offer her a position in Fraud Waste and Abuse department or tell her to link up with Horatio from C.S.I. Miami so they can go after the real criminals together. (glasses not included)

3) The entire store needs a Equal Opportunity/ "“How to Avoid Discrimination Lawsuits: What You Should Know to Protect Yourself and the Company” class.

4) Everyone needs to realize consumerism is what our country is built on, hence the reason for the stimulus we had gotten a while back; stop trying to limit people from purchasing products. There is a lot of money to be made by people like this i.e. airfare, food, gas, hotel, products, misc. more money spent in our country is much bigger than someone being able to get a product on time, scalpers are reselling to a different sector of the market, this hurts nobody except the individual that has to wait a little longer to get theirs.

5) Realize that if Apple can use Psychological Pricing why should scalpers not be able to take advantage of supply and demand.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Reverse Scalped

I went to an Apple store at 9am to see if there was a line... there was.

so the dude behind me had a white 16gig wifi... he had gotten the wrong one and had a guarantee card for a 3G version.

I asked what he was doing, he said returning the 16gig wifi, and buying the 3G. Well, there was no way I was getting an ipad from the store that day.

So I whipped out $600 bucks, and bought it right there to the chagrin of all the people in the line around me hoping for a chance.

With tax, it would have cost me $533. So I overpaid by $63 dollars :D:D

Great day for me, and the seller!

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I really don't understand why people are pissed off at scalpers. They stand in line just like everyone else (or hire someone to stand in line for them).

It's a free economy.

It could be worse, like those electronic systems setup by brokers to "cheat" the stock market system that Goldman and the I bankers do every freaking day (like take your order for X stock at $10/share but they by X stock themselves at $9.99 cents and immediately flip it after buying your shares at the higher price.

Or the ticket brokers who buy all the prime tickets online with their computerize system.

I am not a scalper but I really don't have any issue with what these scalpers are doing with the iPad.

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
some people work for a living!!!

I think the issue not that the scalper was Asian but that the Apple store employee made a very big, and possibly problematic decision, based on a judgement call.

I personally have absolutely no problem with buying iPads and reselling them abroad. So what?! If you really want an iPad, get up sooner and put in the effort to obtain one. Why do you (meaning people) deserve an iPad just because you want one? Life isn't fair.
some people work for a living!!!

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I really don't understand why people are pissed off at scalpers. They stand in line just like everyone else (or hire someone to stand in line for them).

It's a free economy.

It could be worse, like those electronic systems setup by brokers to "cheat" the stock market system that Goldman and the I bankers do every freaking day (like take your order for X stock at $10/share but they by X stock themselves at $9.99 cents and immediately flip it after buying your shares at the higher price.

Or the ticket brokers who buy all the prime tickets online with their computerize system.

I am not a scalper but I really don't have any issue with what these scalpers are doing with the iPad.

Essentially, the three things you've just described are all the same in that they are examples of people who have devised a way to make money out of the system but at the expense of other people, legally.

What this boils down to is really just the lack of any moral dimension or honour in business. Some people are happy with that which is their right, but also a bit depressing.

Muscleflex

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
Awesome racism going on in this thread. My favourite was the person who said "how can she be sure it was the same person?". It's like that stupid old joke ("Did you hear about the lookalike competition in China? Everybody won.") but meant for real. Good work team.

i think you're digging too much into the guy's sentence!

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
I loved it when they had you buy an iPad with a Credit Card only. it was much better to track!

And man, the new titles under usernames are pretty funny. (for April fools day)

jwesty5

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
I love it when people complain about some "supposed" gang members doing something legitimate to earn money.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
How many Jamaicans do you see standing in those lines, day after day?

Well said. You have no idea how much respect I have for what you wrote.
Thank you.

Why do Americans always refer to people by their race? I haven't seen such a thing in any place in the world as much as in the States. I find it bizarre.

Last edited:

brownstein

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
Awesome racism going on in this thread. My favourite was the person who said "how can she be sure it was the same person?". It's like that stupid old joke ("Did you hear about the lookalike competition in China? Everybody won.") but meant for real. Good work team.

never heard that one, thanks for making me spit water all over my iMac.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I actually do not agree with this unless the Apple store KNEW he was scalping

I have bought my family 3 iPad 1's (spread out over months)...so what happens if I want to buy 2 one day and 1 another?

I mean, it is really not THAT crazy to think that some may want more iPads for legitimate reasons

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.