Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Six San Francisco Bay Area counties this afternoon issued a shelter-in-place mandate that affects close to seven million people along with businesses in the area, including Apple Stores, reports The San Francisco Chronicle.

applestorestanford.jpg

In the counties of San Francisco, Marin, Santa Clara, San Mateo, Alameda, and Contra Costa, along with the city of Berkeley, residents must stay inside and venture out only for necessities. Santa Clara county includes Apple's headquarters and many additional offices, while there are multiple Apple Stores across the six affected counties.

People must work from home unless they provide essential services like public safety, sanitation, and medical services. Pharmacies, banks, and grocery stores will remain open, as will restaurants, but only for take out. Veterinary services, gas stations, hardware stores, and other essential shops are permitted to remain open, but other non-essential stores will close.

Non-essential gatherings of any size are banned, along with non-essential travel "on foot, bicycle, scooter, automobile, or public transit."

Given the shelter-in-place order, Apple Stores in the Bay Area are not likely to be able to reopen on March 27 as planned, as the order is set to last for three weeks at this time, ending on April 7 at the earliest.

Apple on Friday closed all of its retail stores across the United States for a two week period.

The shelter-in-place order in the Bay Area is the most restrictive in the United States at this time, and have been put in place to halt the spread of the virus. The Bay Area has 251 reported cases of coronavirus at this time, but infectious disease experts believe there could be hundreds and possibly thousands of cases in the area that are undiagnosed due to testing issues.

Article Link: Apple Stores in San Francisco Bay Area to Remain Closed for At Least Three Weeks Under New Shelter-in-Place Mandate

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Just waiting for the same to happen here in Seattle as we are an epicenter, as well. The governor has been implementing more stringent restrictions on a daily basis to help contain it.

Reactions: na1577 and arn

velocityg4

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

People must work from home unless they provide essential services like public safety, sanitation, and medical services. Pharmacies, banks, and grocery stores will remain open, as will restaurants, but only for take out. Veterinary services, gas stations, hardware stores, and other shops are permitted to remain open, but other stores will close.

This will be really hard on people whose work cannot be done remotely and their employer won't pay them for the time off. It'll also be hard on businesses barely able to pay the bills as is or employers whom do try to keep paying their employees when no work is done.

siger10k

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2019
What about all those people with office jobs that don't have the work from home option?

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
Just remember that if a town reports just one person having definitively gotten this disease... That person got it from someone else, who got it from someone else, who got it from someone else... Etc. So a reported case of "one" likely means there's hundreds (if not thousands) already infected.
Most people don't go to see a doctor when they're ill.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
California is waving the normal one-week waiting period for unemployment insurance, so as soon as you know you aren't going to be getting a paycheck, file right away online. Everyone here is computer literate, so just file online, it is the simplest way to do it. But If you call in, the phone lines will be hammered (they already were even before this crisis), and unfortunately all you can do is be patient and wait, don't hang up.

EDIT: You don't have to be fully unemployed. If you normally work full time but get temporarily shifted to part time, you can file unemployment for those lost hours even if you are still working for them.

Last edited:

siger10k

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2019
California is waving the normal one-week waiting period for unemployment insurance, so as soon as you know you aren't going to be getting a paycheck, file right away online. If you call in, the phone lines will be hammered (they already were even before this crisis), and unfortunately all you can do is be patient and wait, don't hang up.
Can you do everything from online or do you have to physically go to an agency?

velocityg4

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
What about all those people with office jobs that don't have the work from home option?

If the office has to be closed because of this order. If it is all computer work. They better implement work from home if they want to keep earning revenue.

Then they'll hopefully realize. People can be productive working from home. That they could save a whole lot of money on rent and utilities. If all they need is a fast server and fast internet connection.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Just remember that if a town reports just one person having definitively gotten this disease... That person got it from someone else, who got it from someone else, who got it from someone else... Etc. So a reported case of "one" likely means there's hundreds (if not thousands) already infected.
Most people don't go to see a doctor when they're ill.

Going to a doctor for minor symptoms (Like in the flu) is stupid, for several reasons, there is no cure for the flu...hell even most viruses, another reason is, you infect more people by going to a doctor.
People should learn to stay away from the doctor with minor flu/virus symptoms, they should also stay at home instead of going to their jobs/the gym/shopping when having symptoms.

Reactions: Lancetx and jerryk

bpeeps

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2011
Go on unemployment and hope they deliver your benefits in under 9 weeks.
CA waived the week waiting period for unemployment. You can hop online and file a claim immediately.
[automerge]1584399059[/automerge]
Going to a doctor for minor symptoms (Like in the flu) is stupid, for several reasons, there is no cure for the flu...hell even most viruses, another reason is, you infect more people by going to a doctor.
People should learn to stay away from the doctor with minor flu/virus symptoms, they should also stay at home instead of going to their jobs/the gym/shopping when having symptoms.
People should learn to get the flu shot. More people vaccinated equals less people potentially catching it and spreading it.

jonnysods

macrumors 604
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again

What about those in agriculture, manufacturing, logistics etc? Or supermarket workers etc. That’s a lot of pressure on their shoulders to make sure they keep turning up so we can all eat and stay at home etc. I’m self employed, its a scary world at the moment!

Very interesting times!

(oh and I’m not taking shots at you here - your comment just made me think of other occupations)

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
Everyday I thank the Lord I live deep in the Smoky Mountains with at least 0.43miles to my nearest neighbor. Besides venturing out for groceries, I've got an EV charging at home and season is here to start planting the garden.

Reactions: zed1291

jerryk

Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Everyday I thank the Lord I live deep in the Smoky Mountains with at least 0.43miles to my nearest neighbor. Besides venturing out for groceries, I've got an EV charging at home and season is here to start planting the garden.

Get some solar panels and storage batteries and you are set.

I am doing that and I live in the SF Bay Area. Hopefully we can make enough electricity on a sunny day to fill the batteries with charge that will last us 3-5 rainy days.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Glad I don't live in CA anymore. Live on 10 acres in Boulder County. Drove to the local open space and went for a 3+ mile walk. Shelter in place? I'll just walk the pasture.
[automerge]1584402259[/automerge]
Get some solar panels and storage batteries and you are set.
Got 'em if needed.

Reactions: zed1291

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Can you do everything from online or do you have to physically go to an agency?

Yes, you should do it online, and it'll take care of everything. You may receive a call or letter if there is an issue or clarification needed. In fact, there are no Unemployment Insurance offices to go to. Going to an EDD office is a misnomer for unemployment office, as the offices are offering support but aren't actually working for unemployment insurance.

If you go to an office, they can answer any basic questions, but you can't actually apply there. You can use one of their phones in the lobby to call in (please don't use this option!), or they'll provide you the 800 number to call on your own. But they will urge those that are computer savvy enough to file online. I edited my original post to stress that online is definitely the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: siger10k
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.