Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Stores Now Selling Sensor-Equipped LED Smart Jump Rope

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As of this week, Apple retail stores and the Apple online store will begin selling a new fitness-related product, the Tangram Smart Rope. The Smart Rope uses magnetic sensors attached to ball bearings in the handles to count each jump, relaying the information to the accompanying Smart Gym Pro app on the iPhone and Apple Watch.

Jump data is also projected to 23 LEDs that are built into the rope, which flash thousands of times per minute to create an animated effect in mid air. On the iPhone, the Smart Gym Pro app, which syncs with the Apple Health app, keeps track of jump count, calories burned, and workout times. It is designed to offer up workout recommendations based on each individual's fitness goals, and it includes tools for unlocking awards and competing with friends.
Jump rope is one of the most efficient cardio workouts around, burning twice as many calories as running - but offering a more total body workout and less impact to your joints. While jumping rope is easy to learn, it's challenging to master, and it's difficult to track your progress because intervals go into the hundreds and thousands of reps.

Smart Rope accurately counts your jumps with advanced magnetic sensors attached to ball bearings in the handles - using the exercise mechanics to generate true, relevant data.
The Smart Rope sold in Apple Stores is available in an exclusive white color, comes in four sizes (S, M, L, and XL) to meet different height needs, and is priced at $89.99 in the United States. It is rolling out worldwide and should be in retail stores over the course of the next few days.

The Smart Rope can also be purchased in Gold, Black, and Chrome from both the Tangram website and it will be available from Best Buy.

Article Link: Apple Stores Now Selling Sensor-Equipped LED Smart Jump Rope

Reactions: countryside

countryside

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2016
Heh, interesting. I honestly should invest more time into the Health app. Just never gotten around to it.

Reactions: miknos
Comment

JosephAW

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2012
I can't see this lasting long. After several thousand impacts the leds will shatter and wiring will fatigue and break.
A smart app programmer should be able to count using motion sensor or camera watching brightly colored rope or even sound. All for a lot less.

Comment

VagueChampagne

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2016
Wow how pointless! No, I'm sorry I can't just workout anymore. I'm gonna need 12 different apps in order to go for a run.

Oh please.

Reactions: GrumpyMom
Comment

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Interesting invention. I just... prefer to simply jump and count minutes, not jumps.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The negative comments here are surprising. This thing projects easy-to-read numbers onto a wall using LEDs embedded in the rope. That is absolutely amazing how they got the timing absolutely perfect for this to work. Incredible and creative!

Reactions: Mactendo
Comment

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
A $90 jump rope?! Some people have way too much money.
Or they just take fitness very seriously and consider it worth investing in their primary hobby. I wouldn't spend $90 on a jumprope, but I can see why someone else would. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would say you have way too much money because you own an iPhone.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
How does it help me catch Pokemon?

It lets you improve your cardio between pokemon showing up on the map. Then when a pokemon shows up that's 300 meters away, you'll be able to sprint to it before it vanishes.

Then again, if you just use a car you can probably drive to the pokemon faster than you'd ever sprint to it, no matter how much cardio you do.

Reactions: GrumpyMom
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.