Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-related subreddit /r/apple has gone dark in protest of Reddit's upcoming API pricing changes affecting third-party Reddit apps. The subreddit is now private, meaning that users can no longer view or submit posts, and the moderators behind the community said it will remain that way for the next 48 hours, or potentially longer if necessary.

General-Apps-Reddit-Feature.jpg

/r/apple is one of many subreddits that will be going dark over the next few days, alongside /r/videos, /r/gaming, /r/sports, /r/aww, and others. The organized blackout comes after Reddit announced expensive API pricing changes that threaten to put some third-party Reddit apps out of business. Christian Selig, developer of popular Reddit app Apollo, said he would owe Reddit around $20 million per year under the new policy. As a result, Selig announced that Apollo will be shutting down at the end of the month.

Reddit's API provides apps like Apollo with Reddit data like posts and comments, and it has been free to use until now. Selig said it is understandable for Reddit to begin charging for access to the API, but the pricing is prohibitively expensive. Selig also said Reddit provided him with minimal time to prepare for the changes.

Reddit CEO Steve Huffman addressed the topic in a Reddit post last week, but his comments were heavily criticized and received thousands of downvotes from Reddit users. Despite backlash from the community, Reddit has yet to reverse course on its plans so far, and the API changes are set to go into effect on July 1 if upheld.

Article Link: Apple Subreddit Goes Dark in Protest of Reddit's API Pricing Changes

Last edited:

Think|Different

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2021
I'm quite sympathetic to this – and 'affected,' too, by Apollo, etc – but I really, truly do not see this doing anything. At all. They are soaring to their payday IPO and that's that...After that despicable "AMA," how could anyone think a 48 hour protest will move mountains (billions)? Even the ones saying "indefinitely..." I just don't see it.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I'm quite sympathetic to this – and 'affected,' too, by Apollo, etc – but I really, truly do not see this doing anything. At all. They are soaring to their payday IPO and that's that...After that despicable "AMA," how could anyone think a 48 hour protest will move mountains (billions)? Even the ones saying "indefinitely..." I just don't see it.
That's why they are potentially willing to go longer. If enough subreddits do it, then it will matter--particularly big ones like r/Apple. Plus a lot of this is it is untenable to be an Admin once the third party tools are no longer allowed. So it is not necessarily a matter of winning against the reddit execs, but simply a new reality that they don't want to volunteer their admin time for a subreddit if the tools make it a pain-in-the-....

I mean, r/Videos went private indefinitely. I think reddit is more-or-less done, they just don't know it yet.

mordac

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
UK
Well, if the big subreddits extend their blackout until the situation gets resolved, or threaten to move to a different platform if it doesn’t, that could affect the IPO…
And yeah, I would fully support such a move.

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
Exactly this. It will have the exact same outcome as all those dumb change.org campaigns where people think it will work.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Well this will go one of two ways. The dark subreddits with either pop back up in a few days, with the talk of third-party clients and API pricing quietening down over the coming weeks, or Reddit will release a statement saying that the changes have been “postponed for further consideration following user feedback.”

Hopefully it’s the latter. Now, I’m not saying I’ll never use Reddit again but, without Apollo, I do find the mobile app and site borderline unusable.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
More of a front page Reddit lurker these days, don’t even have an account, so while it’s great the subreddits are doing this I’m sure Reddit will simply remove the moderators and put some kind of puppet moderator that may or may not even moderate depending on how many subreddits go longer than 48hrs.

chocoyo00

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
SoCal
I stopped using Apollo and began using the official Reddit app after the similar situation with Twitter happened.

I have now got used to it and use it normally to browse my favorite subreddits as before, I considered paying for pro to turn off ads but once I turned off all “personalized recommendations” it’s been smooth sailing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.