Apple SUCKS!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trialser, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trialser macrumors member

So after getting a small amount of rain on my computer the charging and backlighting wouldnt work, so I took it into the Apple store. It ended up that it was a week past my waranty, so they took down the serial number and said, "We have to ship it out to CA so itll be $1250 to fix." They didnt even take the time to check out what was actually wrong with it, I just told them the charging didnt work and it was really dim. Couldve just been that I was stupid and had the brightness down and a bad outlet... But it wasnt that.
    So I took it home and spent some time trying to figure out what was actually wrong, I got it narrowed down to the I/O Board. I bought the 65$ part and installed it myself. Its back to normal now, everything works. So I spent about $1185 LESS doing it on my own then going to the Apple Store!

2. calculus Guest

calculus

I don't think warranty covers adverse weather conditions...

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

good for you

you know what else? if i fix my car myself rather than the mechanic, it will be loads cheaper too!

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Sounds more like that one genius sucks rather than the whole of Apple.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And if it had been in warrantee, you still wouldn't have been covered. AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I don't get the point of this post. You complain that you got rain on your notebook and that Apple was going to charge you more to fix it than it would to do it yourself.

$1,250 seems a bit high. Are you sure you heard it right?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's always more expensive to have someone else do something than for you to do it yourself. That's why you don't buy external hard drives. You buy the enclosure, you buy the drive, you pop it in, it's cheaper.

The same applies for absolutely everything, really.

8. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Apparently.

Useless threads, FTW? lol. Oh well, at least you got it fixed, OP. Nice work.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So let me get this right: You take your Mac out in the rain. Your warranty is expired (like others have said, warranty doesn't cover damage or user "issues"), and you think Apple sucks, because they wanted to charge you to repair the Mac that YOU damaged? :rolleyes:

It never ceases to amaze me how so many blame Apple for their own stupidity!

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

eh the cost isnt that much cheaper really but your point stands

11. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

Good job! Congrats!

You did the right thing.

Anyone could be in this situation, warranty has nothing to do with it. He asked for help and got ripped. Apple genius actions were improper, because of normally Apple will accept item for repair and after they received and examine the item - they would come up with repair estimate.

There is no guarantee though, Apple repair employee would not be the same moron as a genius was.

You took it in your hands and got rewarded.

Do not listen to negative posts, most of these folks are not capable to put a nail in the wall. The only thing they are good for is trolling and paying up to wazoo when told so. This is the live story for folks whose hands and heads growing up their butts:cool:

Congrats!

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh please

the op is complaining that apple would have charged him a lot to fix accidental damage (not covered) and then complained at how much cheaper it was to fix it himself

for all we know, the genius could have seen it was water damage and the op conviently neglected to mention that part possibly

13. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

WOW! :eek: That is awefully nice of you saying that the ppl who have posted in here have their heads up their butts. So, we are told 1 side of the story on what happened to the OP's machine and are supposed to outright believe that the Apple employee was just a down right jerk. The OP clearly was at fault for damaging his computer, but we should just go YAY you are so smart and great that you decided to fix your own mistake...

Sorry, but you know this world would be a better place if we took a little personal responsibility and recognize when we screw up nd not expect someone else to just fix it for free.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

He didn't get "ripped". He was quoted a price that Apple would charge to repair a Mac that the user damaged. Apple is in business to make money. They have every right and responsibility to do so. If anyone doesn't like their prices or policies, they can take their business elsewhere.

The issue here is the OP's obvious immaturity to say "Apple sucks!" when it is the OP who caused the problem in the first place. It sounds a lot like a kid leaving their bicycle out in the street where a truck runs over it, then, when mom won't buy a new one, the kid says, "Mom SUCKS!" Childish, immature and completely irresponsible.

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You missed the point.

Yes the OP was a fault and would not be covered by applecare anyway due to water damage.

The issue here is that he got quoted $1250 for a repair without having had the machine actually be examined to work out the extent of the damage was. He should have been charged for an hour of labour and parts.

So basically the Apple rep was saying that he needed a logic board replacement....when the OP just needed a $65 part + labour.

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Hang on are you saying that if i have a problem with my mac i should be automatically charged $1250?

17. bartelby macrumors Core

If you cause the problem then yes.

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Even if the repair cost is a $20 part and an hours labour.

You are kidding me right. And you would pay this?????

19. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

So he says. I'm not buying it and he shouldn't be selling it. He sucks.

20. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Nope, didn't miss the point. The topic is "APPLE Sucks" meaning that the OP went to get it fixed. Probably didn't tell the guy what really happened, and went in assuming that it would be fixed for free. That's what I get out of the original post. I don't doubt that there was some mis-understandings about the repair cost and I am not defending the Apple employee if he truly was trying to rip anyone off. But to come on here saying APPLE Sucks because you screwed up your machine is a bit to much for me to stomach.

And like I said in my original post. We only know what the OP is telling us. And I only take that with a grain of sand.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

$1250 is the Tier 4 repair cost. In other words they give you a new computer.

22. bartelby macrumors Core

That's not what you asked.
    If you cause the damage Apple can charge whatever they charge.

Whether I'd pay it or fix it myself is a totally different matter.

23. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I highly doubt he was quoted $1,250. Either that or the genius was just being an ass.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

.... not to mention the fact that the OP first posted about this back in September and apparently it happened months before that. I don't see why he's still griping about it months later. Get over it!

25. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It's always good practice to get the issue narrowed down as much as possible so when your at the genius bar you'll be able to get quicker, better service.
    Does sound like maybe that 1 genius sucked. You did get your issue fix at a relativity low cost. You got rain on it so being out of warranty is a total none issue. I also am doubtful about you being quoted almost $1300. I could see it if the genius said up to $1300 if the logic board was bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.