Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Do you own an RFID company that would sell to the automobile industry and have a lobby that could get that established as law so they have to use your steering wheel RFID chip? The costs that would add to manufacturers would get amplified and passed on to the consumer. How about personal responsibility and crime and punishment. While technology can make many things possible to do, it doesn't mean we have to do them.

just sayin' it's entirely possible and really not costly.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
Your steam anecdotes are not worth what you think. Water transfers heat about 30x faster than steam, and steam doesn't cling to your skin like an 88˚C pair of wet trousers.

There is hot water that stays on your body with steam genius. What do you think makes up steam? Very hot water and air.
[doublepost=1485026386][/doublepost]
Maybe its because I am a guy. Even mildly hot I tend to not put stuff near that area. Hell even cold. Some ass hat drives bad, quick driving correction and that stuff is all over the area. Or you know its just there...area tends to be, you know, sensitive. Hell lets make it tap water temps....same situation and it looks like someone couldn't control their bladder comments to start...now.

I am a guy also, have been for over 60 years. I don't put anything hot next to the jewels. I grew up on stick's and 3 on the tree.

It's not the company's fault if someone does something stupid.
[doublepost=1485026443][/doublepost]
I'm not going to argue with hand waving or other nonsense. Good day sir.

Can't argue with fact either.
[doublepost=1485026592][/doublepost]
Ah, okay, you've seen a picture. Not read the extensive documentation of the case, just seen a picture. Clearly you understand the situation better than the ER doctors who treated her.

She needed skin grafts einstein. BS. How would the er doctors know how she actully did it. They didn't, they just grafted . That was my point, try thinking.
[doublepost=1485026713][/doublepost]
I'm sorry but you are so incredibly wrong. Do your homework before you post. The pictures are 100% real and it's a case used in law school to teach gross negligence and torts. It's taught during the first year because it's so important.

Try reading and understanding. I did not say the pictures are not real, that is a flat out lie. I said she did it some other way.

Just because you blather something does not mean it's any more important than a gnat fart.

You have your opinion on which you post lies about what I said and I have mine. Deal with it.

Last edited:

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Would probably still allow EMS calls, if not has serious safety implications.

(^ Sorry I didn't mean to quote you; you are right. I meant to quote the person you quoted!)

That isn't what they mean. When connected to your car the phone functions are on the car display. You can still make calls, maps, music, messages. Just NOT by typing on your phone while driving but by voice using your car.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
There is hot water that stays on your body with steam genius. What do you think makes up steam? Very hot water and air.

What? I don't need to be a genius to remember a little basic science from school. Steam is not 'very hot water and air'. Steam is an invisible gas and has no relation to air. Steam does not cling to your skin. The tiny proportion of steam in contact with your skin may condense into water, but that is completely different to having the entire volume held against your skin by saturated clothing.

What you seem to be getting confused with is water vapour - the visible clouds of airborne condensate. Even a child knows that stuff isn't necessarily hot, as demonstrated by 'steamy' breath on a cold or damp day. Given your basic misunderstanding, your stories of macho steam showers are starting to sound literally like hot air.

But anyway, you have your opinion. Don't let facts slow you down.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
Don't put words in my mouth JR. Ever operate a steam plant or even an industrial steamer? Ever repair a break in a steam line? Obviously not. Steam leaves behind hot water. Period. H2 0 is what makes up steam. Don't let actual knowledge get in the way of your ignorance. School was 40 something years ago, i have worked with it a lot since then.

What? I don't need to be a genius to remember a little basic science from school. Steam is not 'very hot water and air'. Steam is an invisible gas and has no relation to air. Steam does not cling to your skin. The tiny proportion of steam in contact with your skin may condense into water, but that is completely different to having the entire volume held against your skin by saturated clothing.

What you seem to be getting confused with is water vapour - the visible clouds of airborne condensate. Even a child knows that stuff isn't necessarily hot, as demonstrated by 'steamy' breath on a cold or damp day. Given your basic misunderstanding, your stories of macho steam showers are starting to sound literally like hot air.

But anyway, you have your opinion. Don't let facts slow you down.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Don't put words in my mouth JR. Ever operate a steam plant or even an industrial steamer? Ever repair a break in a steam line? Obviously not. Steam leaves behind hot water. Period. H2 0 is what makes up steam. Don't let actual knowledge get in the way of your ignorance. School was 40 something years ago, i have worked with it a lot since then.
What is the topic at hand again? Oh yes, Steam, because it's closely correlated to texting. :)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
What is the topic at hand again? Oh yes, Steam, because it's closely correlated to texting. :)
Someone brought up the McDonalds coffee incident and it lead to this. But you are correct. Steam has nothing to do with the topic at hand OR the McDonalds lawsuit.

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
A far, far more important issue is drunk driving. Before turning off texting, people should sue alcoholic beverage companies whenever there is a traffic accident from alcohol abuse.

People do need to do some texting while in the passenger car.

Disagree. Drunk drivers have reduced reaction time. Texters have no reaction time since they are essentially driving with their eyes closed. Punishment should be same or worse. The slaughter of cyclists, motorcyclists, and pedestrians has to stop.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Disagree. Drunk drivers have reduced reaction time. Texters have no reaction time since they are essentially driving with their eyes closed. Punishment should be same or worse. The slaughter of cyclists, motorcyclists, and pedestrians has to stop.

Then why is drunk driving fatalities 3X higher than texting and driving fatalities? I think you are over dramatizing the "slaughter". One fatality is too many, but your hypothesis is incorrect as drunk driving is more deadly.

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
Wow, just jumped to the end of the thread. Are we really debating the difference between liquid and gas? Did I miss the rumor about steam powered iPhones? Was texting really a reference to steam powered printing presses? Inquiring minds...
[doublepost=1485110689][/doublepost]
Then why is drunk driving fatalities 3X higher than texting and driving fatalities? I think you are over dramatizing the "slaughter". One fatality is too many, but your hypothesis is incorrect as drunk driving is more deadly.

There simply is no data on the damage caused by cell phone use. No one can be given a test to see whether they were looking down when they hit someone or something.

What I do know is 60% of crashes where I live are attributed to distracted driving of some sort. Also, our fatalities are 60% higher than the national average. Yes, it's a slaughter. It's every day on the news, sometimes multiple fatalities in a day. Most are not drunk driving.

MeJAG

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010

California resident Julio Ceja is seeking a class action lawsuit against Apple, accusing the company of placing profit before consumer safety by choosing not to implement a lock-out mechanism that would disable an iPhone's functionality when being used behind the wheel by an engaged driver.

distracted-driving.jpg

Ceja demands that Apple halt the sale of all iPhones in California until a lock-out mechanism is implemented. He also demands that Apple release a software update that adds a lock-out mechanism to all iPhones already in the hands of consumers. He is not seeking further damages beyond legal fees and costs.

The complaint, filed with the Los Angeles Superior Court on Tuesday, asserts that Apple's willful decision not to implement a lock-out mechanism on iPhones, chiefly to prevent texting and driving, constitutes "unfair business acts and practices" under California's Unfair Competition Law. A jury trial has been demanded.

Ceja asserts that Apple's "enormous market share" means that it is the "largest contributor" to texting and driving, while noting it is "downright shocking" that smartphone companies like Apple "do nothing to help shield the public at large from the dangers associated with the use of their phones."

"If texting and driving is a vessel of trouble, Apple is the captain of the ship," the complaint alleges.

The complaint claims that Apple recognized the dangers of texting and driving, and the important role it should play in stopping it, in its lock-out mechanism patent filed in 2008 and published in 2014.

The patent notes that "texting while driving has become a major concern of parents, law enforcement, and the general public," and further claims that "texting while driving has become so widespread it is doubtful that law enforcement will have any significant effect on stopping the practice."

The patent describes one method where a motion analyzer would detect whether a handheld device is in motion beyond a certain speed. A scenery analyzer would be able to determine whether the holder of the handheld device is located within a safe operating area of a vehicle. Otherwise, the device could be disabled.

In other embodiments, a vehicle or car key could transmit a signal that disables functionality of the handheld device while it is being operated. To a lesser degree, a vehicle could also transmit a signal that merely sends the device a notification stating that functionality should be disabled.

In November, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommended smartphone makers develop a "Driver Mode", a simplified interface that would prevent access to non-driving-related tasks such as text messaging, social media, and viewing images and video unrelated to driving.

The complaint comes less than one month after a Texas family sued Apple for failing to enable said lock-out mechanisms to prevent distracted driving. On Christmas Eve in 2014, the family's vehicle was struck by a distracted driver who admitted to using FaceTime while driving. The accident caused one fatality.

Apple has faced other similar lawsuits in the past. In response to a Texas lawsuit filed in 2015, Apple indicated the responsibility is on the driver to avoid distractions in a statement provided to The New York Times:Ceja himself was rear ended by a driver who was texting behind the wheel. Whether this latest complaint has merit will be up to the court to decide. Apple has yet to publicly comment on the matter.

Article Link: Apple Sued for Choosing Not to 'Lock-Out' iPhones Behind the Wheel to Prevent Texting and Driving
[doublepost=1485151727][/doublepost]I understand how much of an issue texting while drive is. However, I don't understand the reasoning behind placing the onus on Apple for someones actions. It's like suing the auto manufactures for auto accidents that were the result of drivers exceeding the speed limits, which result in causing a persons death or serious injury. Auto manufacturers clearly have the ability to govern the automobile's speed limits, and the government can impose laws to require this.

Reactions: zaaach48

zaaach48

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Philadelphia
It doesn't matter what percentage can use Android Auto or CarPlay.

The fact is Google locks it out and Apple doesn't.

And that alone is reason why this suit could well succeed; or more likely - Apple changes CarPlay.

True. I guess I'm just making the point that in terms of actual practical usage, it won't make much difference. At least not when Android Auto and CarPlay are not really being used yet. Sure they can change CarPlay to lock down the phone...but what about the like 95% of people who don't have CarPlay? Even when CarPlay is more common, it is likely an option at higher trim levels, so again, how many people will really have it? When it comes to safety issue like this, as close to 100% compliance as possible is necessary.

If Android Auto locks down the phone, but only like .05% if users have Android Auto, then what good is it really?

Reactions: CarlJ

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Easy, if you have a place in the car where your phone is place block it, if your phone syncs to CarPlay lock it out, you have CarPlay to use. A seat knows when someone is sat on it these days so they could setup a detection system for when a mobile phone is in the front of the car or the passenger area.
Their are lots of ways they can do something. Why when my phone is connected via USB and Bluetooth to the car does it still think I need email alerts???? On the iPhone screen?? That's an easy fix that they won't implement but I think it would be good, make it an option even in the settings.

Not all cars have CarPlay and if you don't plug in your phone... broke your cable, in a hurry, etc... what then?

I just think this is legislation that nobody needs. People complain about government overreach, well here is some right now. Might as well set regulators on gas pedals to control speed at all times.

Or cup holders to refuse to allow one's beverage to be removed while the engine is running and the car is in drive. See how silly we can get with all this?
[doublepost=1485198012][/doublepost]
True. I guess I'm just making the point that in terms of actual practical usage, it won't make much difference. At least not when Android Auto and CarPlay are not really being used yet. Sure they can change CarPlay to lock down the phone...but what about the like 95% of people who don't have CarPlay? Even when CarPlay is more common, it is likely an option at higher trim levels, so again, how many people will really have it? When it comes to safety issue like this, as close to 100% compliance as possible is necessary.

If Android Auto locks down the phone, but only like .05% if users have Android Auto, then what good is it really?

Exactly. My car has CarPlay, but if I do not connect to it, then (by the rationale presented here) phone would no be locked down, either. I think all this will do is encourage people NOT to use something that, when they are allowed to use it however they like, CAN make using one's device while driving much safer.

Reactions: CarlJ

zaaach48

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Philadelphia
Not all cars have CarPlay and if you don't plug in your phone... broke your cable, in a hurry, etc... what then?

I just think this is legislation that nobody needs. People complain about government overreach, well here is some right now. Might as well set regulators on gas pedals to control speed at all times.

Or cup holders to refuse to allow one's beverage to be removed while the engine is running and the car is in drive. See how silly we can get with all this?

Exactly. My car has CarPlay, but if I do not connect to it, then (by the rationale presented here) phone would no be locked down, either. I think all this will do is encourage people NOT to use something that, when they are allowed to use it however they like, CAN make using one's device while driving much safer.

Right. If CarPlay locks the phone down and is optional....Well then, people just aren't going to use CarPlay...Now if CarPlay works really amazingly and the voice recognition never fails, it could be great but we all know that won't happen.

Does CarPlay/Android Auto involve pressing buttons on the screen? If so, then what is the difference really? This is what I never understood....we draw this line at texting and driving, but is it that much more distracting than adjusting the built in radio or other controls? Personally I don't think so, but of course it's different for everyone

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Right. If CarPlay locks the phone down and is optional....Well then, people just aren't going to use CarPlay...Now if CarPlay works really amazingly and the voice recognition never fails, it could be great but we all know that won't happen.

Does CarPlay/Android Auto involve pressing buttons on the screen? If so, then what is the difference really? This is what I never understood....we draw this line at texting and driving, but is it that much more distracting than adjusting the built in radio or other controls? Personally I don't think so, but of course it's different for everyone

Yep. It does. Both do... I know this because my car has both.

I have seen it work with a Droid because our salesman had one.

So, yeah... pressing the screen isn't always the safest thing to do at any given time, either. Yes, there are voice controls, but sometimes they are imperfect.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

The UK Police did a week long sting on dristracted drivers. They caught OVER FORTY DRIVERS AN HOUR USING THEIR MOBILE PHONE WHILST DRIVING!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/23/nearly-50-drivers-hour-caught-using-phone-behind-wheel/

Your argument is utterly flawed because stupid dumb drivers just don't get it! If people are incapable of controlling a machine weighing over a ton plus at 30mph plus then this is a damn good law and not government overeach one bit! FACT PEOPLE DIE BECAUSE OF DRIVERS USING THEIR PHONES!

Reactions: satcomer

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Does CarPlay/Android Auto involve pressing buttons on the screen? If so, then what is the difference really? This is what I never understood....we draw this line at texting and driving, but is it that much more distracting than adjusting the built in radio or other controls?
Yes, I'd argue it's much more distracting. With the radio in the car, one can get a useful result by tapping one button (change a station or increase/decrease the volume), and there's nothing to look at other than glancing once for a fraction of a second to aim a finger at the right button (and many times one can become so familiar with the layout in a particular car that you can change stations or volume without taking your eyes off the road).

In contrast, there's basically no action one can do with receiving or sending a text that involves the same limited level of interaction (a single press of a moderately large button) - reading a text message off a screen involves looking down at the screen, focusing on the screen itself, and reading perhaps a dozen words. Sending a text involves all that plus engaging very fine motor skills to make dozens of presses on the correct series of tiny on-screen keys - your attention is primarily focused on the hand that's typing (not on the cars around you) for seconds or tens of seconds.

Keep in mind that we're not talking about voice control - yes, one can say, "Siri, tell my wife I'll be there in ten minutes," but you were specifically asking about the difference in pressing keys on a dashboard screen for CarPlay vs. pressing keys on a phone screen for texting. CarPlay both gives you big (easier to spot and hit) buttons, and it limits the selection of buttons available to things you might reasonably do in traffic.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Yes, on one end of the spectrum. We're stuck in the middle now where our cars do do a lot of driving for us already. All we have to do is steer, gas, and brake. Add the shifting back into the mix, like most of the rest of world, and it would make phone use more difficult. Let the cars drive completely, or let people drive completely. The middle sucks (said by a guy that couldn't find a decent and affordable manual transmission where I live, but wants one oh so badly).

You aren't shifting most of the time while driving a stick, so I'm not sure your thesis is true. If someone wants to text and drive, they'll find a way to do it. Automatics have been around for a very long time anyway and cars have gotten safer and safer.

zaaach48

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Philadelphia
Yes, I'd argue it's much more distracting. With the radio in the car, one can get a useful result by tapping one button (change a station or increase/decrease the volume), and there's nothing to look at other than glancing once for a fraction of a second to aim a finger at the right button (and many times one can become so familiar with the layout in a particular car that you can change stations or volume without taking your eyes off the road).

In contrast, there's basically no action one can do with receiving or sending a text that involves the same limited level of interaction (a single press of a moderately large button) - reading a text message off a screen involves looking down at the screen, focusing on the screen itself, and reading perhaps a dozen words. Sending a text involves all that plus engaging very fine motor skills to make dozens of presses on the correct series of tiny on-screen keys - your attention is primarily focused on the hand that's typing (not on the cars around you) for seconds or tens of seconds.

Keep in mind that we're not talking about voice control - yes, one can say, "Siri, tell my wife I'll be there in ten minutes," but you were specifically asking about the difference in pressing keys on a dashboard screen for CarPlay vs. pressing keys on a phone screen for texting. CarPlay both gives you big (easier to spot and hit) buttons, and it limits the selection of buttons available to things you might reasonably do in traffic.

know what? i'm just going to let the onion handle this whole thing: http://www.theonion.com/article/report-texting-while-driving-okay-if-you-look-up-e-32583

Reactions: kdarling

maleth

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2017
Australia
Julio Ceja your missing the point!
We need to ban driving all together!
Class action against any company that manufacture products - like the iPhone - that encourage humans to make bad decisions.
Also there should be a product recall on bad decision making.
People should be compensated for any damages caused by using devices like the iPhone when they shouldn't have been!

No child left behind.

Reactions: bunnicula

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
The UK Police did a week long sting on dristracted drivers. They caught OVER FORTY DRIVERS AN HOUR USING THEIR MOBILE PHONE WHILST DRIVING!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/23/nearly-50-drivers-hour-caught-using-phone-behind-wheel/

Your argument is utterly flawed because stupid dumb drivers just don't get it! If people are incapable of controlling a machine weighing over a ton plus at 30mph plus then this is a damn good law and not government overeach one bit! FACT PEOPLE DIE BECAUSE OF DRIVERS USING THEIR PHONES!

Impose heavy fines when people are driving irregularly and they're found to be using a phone. People will do it less often. We already have laws against improper driving, no?

My argument isn't flawed. You cannot "lock out" drunk driving, can you? Nope. I mean, unless you want to add breathalyzer devices to all cars and frankly, I'd rather that than locking out phones.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Impose heavy fines when people are driving irregularly and they're found to be using a phone. People will do it less often. We already have laws against improper driving, no?

My argument isn't flawed. You cannot "lock out" drunk driving, can you? Nope. I mean, unless you want to add breathalyzer devices to all cars and frankly, I'd rather that than locking out phones.

Wrong, because that's existed for a while now and everyone ignores it! Facts prove fines are not working because the chance of being caught is slim in the UK, plus the numbers of people injured to killed every year due to drivers using their phones also proves fines aren't working.
Imprison some of them and make it very public, ban them from driving for three years, then if they are caught whilst being banned impression them no questions, and that will stop it, so long as you have the Police on the roads to catch people.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Wrong, because that's existed for a while now and everyone ignores it! Facts prove fines are not working because the chance of being caught is slim in the UK, plus the numbers of people injured to killed every year due to drivers using their phones also proves fines aren't working.
Imprison some of them and make it very public, ban them from driving for three years, then if they are caught whilst being banned impression them no questions, and that will stop it, so long as you have the Police on the roads to catch people.

I have no problem with stiff penalties for crimes committed behind the wheel that were found to be due to someone using a phone while driving. Same as with drunk drivers.

Chopper9

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Might I recommend a defensive driver course? Somehow I manage to spend close to 2 hours a day on the road and I've never been hit by someone texting, which is already covered by distracted driving laws where it isn't already explicitly illegal...
Yes, yes... a defensive drivers course is a great solution, especially those that get plowed into waiting at traffic stops. Perhaps that would be a great solution to all the worlds problems. Don't want to get shot? Take a bullet defense class. Don't like war? Try bomb dodging class. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.