Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Sued Over Swollen Batteries in Apple Watches

Br0074

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2019
reading this while setting up my original Apple Watch, which I just received from repair due to this exact issue (luckily mine was replaced for free after being quoted with extortionate prices multiple times)

Comment

Br0074

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2019
I recently sent my Series 3 Watch back to Apple because the battery was obviously swollen and the screen detached from the case. I was originally told that the repair would be free but was then informed via email that there would be a $229 charge for the repair.
I was instructed to contact Apple to give the okay to proceed, or decline and have my broken watch returned.
I spoke to a supervisor who advised that although the battery was swollen the repair would not be under warranty due to a small scratch on the case which was a possible cause of the screen detaching. I then asked for the battery to be replaced and for the watch to be returned without the screen being reattached because I did not want to pay the $229 fee. I was told that that was not a possibility because, Apple’s policy is not to do a partial repair.

Comment

Silver78

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
My apple watch series 0 just did this!
The watch is in absolute mint condition apart from this.
I am a watch guy and take very good care of my watches so this is just bad.. the watch is not even 4 years old and now useless.
Not to mention I traveled half way across the world to buy this watch at infinite loop.
I read about some replacement but since i travel i can not get hold of apple support

Comment
My apple watch series 0 just did this!
The watch is in absolute mint condition apart from this.
I am a watch guy and take very good care of my watches so this is just bad.. the watch is not even 4 years old and now useless.
Not to mention I traveled half way across the world to buy this watch at infinite loop.
I read about some replacement but since i travel i can not get hold of apple support

In your case, you could arrange for Apple to pick up from FedEx and get it back in 5-days or less. I spilled hot tea with stevia (very sticky) on my MacBook Pro (yeah, I know) and Apple picked it up on a Monday, and it was returned on Friday morning. I was very impressed with how complete and super fast the repair took placed. They replaced just about everything inside the case, and the only two parts not replaced was the display and the case itself. Thank goodness for Apple Care, despite the $299.00 co-pay.

Heck, there was a time when Apple didn't charge a co-pay and would perform out of warranty repairs for free. Of course, that was before Tim Cook and his cost-cutting decisions.

Last edited:
Comment

Fixey

macrumors regular
May 16, 2017
Swallowing lithium ion batteries is normal, happens to them all in about 2 years, some may last longer but all will or a small amount.

Apple should of factor this into the design and made room like most gadgets do but Apple try’s to make things do thin they are just asking for trouble and with little or no room the battery could puncture and catch fire

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Swallowing lithium ion batteries is normal, happens to them all in about 2 years, some may last longer but all will or a small amount.

Apple should of factor this into the design and made room like most gadgets do but Apple try’s to make things do thin they are just asking for trouble and with little or no room the battery could puncture and catch fire
Swallowing?

Comment

InVinoVeritasty

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2016
Screen popped off my wife's Series 3 Hermes' while charging overnight. Glad I found this article before my service appointment tomorrow. Already replaced two batteries in MacBook Pros this year because battery swelling interfered with track pad operation. I am NOT happy with Apple batteries.

Comment

mfleck_us

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2019
Well let me clear up this post. Apple for one will replace your watch if your battery is swollen as long as it’s in warranty. If it’s not in warranty and over the monthly amount allocated after warranty expires they will replace it at battery cost. Now it all boils down to if there is a point of impact, which “can” cause the swelling to the battery. Looking at that watch in the picture, it’s looks pretty beat up and probably has some damage due to some sort of impact. So to sue a company over something you’ve done or to sue do it it may being a couple years old, you should know that you’re not going to win.

Maybe for some, but not for everyone. I bought my adult daughter an Apple Watch 3 for her birthday. She had it for about 2 weeks and then woke one morning to discover the face was popped up/off (like the photo at the top). She brought it to an authorized Apple repair dealer, who sent it to the Apple repair center. They returned it with a note stating that it was damaged from inappropriate use and that they would not repair it under the terms of the warranty. It was purchased on Amazon, and they were kind enough to take the watch back and provide a full refund. My daughter is a responsible adult and staunch supporter of Apple products, but Apple has now lost a customer.

Comment

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
If she only had the watch for 9 months, Apple should just replace it. Not sure why they quoted her $299.
Replace the watch, and case closed.
They would charge $229 for an out of warranty replacement on a nine month old watch if the "genius" believes that the fault was caused by something the user did which would have voided the warranty.

Comment

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
WOW (DESERVES ALL CAPS) APPLE IS STILL PULLING THIS "ABUSE" BLAME, AFTER ALL THIS TIME AND NUMBER OF COMPLAINTS?

I only came here to mark all my subscribed threads as "read", and came in here to see nothing is better. Makes me mad that I ordered a Series 5 LTE (I'm giving my Series 3 LTE to my wife or daughter when S5 arrives, and so far after 2 yrs S3 LTE is fine). With our luck the screen will pop off on the S3 after I hand it down, right after the warranty runs out, and then I'll have to fight Apple.

Comment

Tobes13

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2019

New Jersey resident Gina Priano-Keyser has filed a proposed class action lawsuit against Apple this week in U.S. district court, accusing the company of fraudulent business practices and breach of warranty related to the Apple Watch, according to court documents accessed by MacRumors.

Apple Watch with display popped off and swollen battery via Shawn Miller

Priano-Keyser alleges that all Apple Watches up to and including Series 4 models are prone to a defect that results in the lithium-ion battery swelling and causing the screen to "crack, shatter, or detach from the body" of the watch "through no fault of the wearer, oftentimes only days or weeks after purchase."

The plaintiff believes that Apple either knew or should have known that the Apple Watch models were defective before selling them, adding that they pose "a significant safety hazard to consumers" -- a "number" of which have suffered "cuts and burns" as a result of the scratched, shattered, or detached screens.

Apple has acknowledged the possibility of swollen batteries in select Apple Watch models in the past, and offered free repairs up to three years after purchase. However, the complaint alleges that the company often attributes the issue to "accidental damage" and thus "refuses to cover repairs" under warranty.

Priano-Keyser states that she purchased an Apple Watch Series 3 in October 2017. In July 2018, while charging, she alleges that the screen "unexpectedly detached" from the watch's body and cracked. Her daughter "pushed the screen back into place," but the Apple Watch has been "unusable" ever since.

The plaintiff booked a Genius Bar appointment in August 2018, but upon inspection, she alleges that Apple denied to repair the Apple Watch free of charge under warranty and instead quoted her an out-of-warranty fee of $229 for service.

The plaintiff's damaged Apple Watch Series 3

The complaint cites over a dozen similar experiences described by users on the Apple Support Communities over the past few years.

Priano-Keyser is seeking damages in an amount to be proven at trial for herself and all others similarly situated. The proposed class includes all residents of New Jersey who are current and former owners of all models and sizes of the Apple Watch Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3 purchased in New Jersey.

The complaint was filed by Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah, LLP, the same law firm that filed a nearly identical class action lawsuit regarding the swollen Apple Watch batteries in California back in June 2018. That case was tossed by U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in January due to being "vague."

"Plaintiff's description of the alleged defect identifies only the consequences of the alleged defect (i.e., cracking, shattering, or detaching), but is notably silent on identifying the defect that causes such consequences," Judge Koh stated.

The lawsuit in New Jersey addresses this by attempting to identify a cause.

"Upon information and belief, the Defect is caused by aging or otherwise faulty li-on batteries, or by defective internal components of the Watches that regulate temperature, electrical currents, charging, and other mechanisms that could affect the Watches' li-on batteries," the complaint states.

It remains to be seen if the New Jersey case proceeds to trial or is also tossed.

Full complaint is embedded after the break...

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple Sued Over Swollen Batteries in Apple Watches
I took Apple to Court in the UK for a swollen battery forcing a screen of my series 3 watch when it was only 58 days old - we went though a fully contested hearing and won - Judge found there was an inherent defect in the watch. The hearing was 14th November 2019.

Reactions: mi7chy
Comment

Khedron

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I took Apple to Court in the UK for a swollen battery forcing a screen of my series 3 watch when it was only 58 days old - we went though a fully contested hearing and won - Judge found there was an inherent defect in the watch. The hearing was 14th November 2019.

What a waste of everyone's time by Apple.

Some people think Tim is just a greedy accountant. Not true, he can also be very spiteful.

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
What a waste of everyone's time by Apple.

Some people think Tim is just a greedy accountant. Not true, he can also be very spiteful.
Probably to somewhat equalize the goodwill of Apple over the years in erring on the side of the consumer, even when the consumer was wrong and was taking advantage of Apples’ goodwill, costing Apple shareholders money.

Comment

Khedron

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Probably to somewhat equalize the goodwill of Apple over the years in erring on the side of the consumer, even when the consumer was wrong and was taking advantage of Apples’ goodwill, costing Apple shareholders money.

I think the many, many successful class action lawsuits and the known training of Geniuses to have "not seen this problem before" rejects any notion of "goodwill"

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Comment

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
My SS series 3 feels pretty hot after I take it off the charger some times. Not when it has just been charged but after it's been charging there for a long time. (like overnight) This scares me sometimes, but it's still working fine. I keep thinking it's going to blow up on me sometime soon. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Joaquin Corres

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2019
This happened to me last Thursday 12/05. Service denied any change or even fixing (even I offered to pay for repair). The only possible solution from the service was to buy a new one.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.