Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
And you Sir will be living in a make-believe land. Wireless charging at distance is currently limited to 30cm; more restrictive than the length of your current charging cable.
I'll be living in a make believe land? I didn't say it's happening now, I said when it does we will have wireless charging. Not the present, you know, the future.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I think you have distorted perception of the qualities of other platforms. For example, all Samsung Gear watches use magnetic chargers. I suspect other Android watches do to.

As per the available reviews, all current smartphone fingerprint readers have about the same quality. Here is one such comparison (in which the reader on the much cheaper phone outperforms iPhone)

* Taken from the Samsung website. It's more complicated than Apple's charger.

http://www.samsung.com/sa_en/support/skp/faq/1066598

* Fit bits need a male-ended cable plugged into the watch. This is hard to charge in the dark, unlike Apple's solution.

Apple's fingerprint reader works better on iOS than the OnePlus 3 does. It unlocks in like 1/10 of a second faster than an OLD iPhone, but does it provide for better security like Apple's fingerprint reader or does it just unlock the phone?

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Wireless charging is such a "me too" feature. I am sure some like it but seems like a total waste of resources. If the phone needs to stay in contact to charge it is WORSE than a wire.
The guy that thought this gimmick up is a genius.
And the people who think they need it..I feel bad for them.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
The guy that thought this gimmick up is a genius.
And the people who think they need it..I feel bad for them.
I don't think anybody truly feels they *need inductive charging anymore than they *need an $800 smartphone. That said, it is pretty darn convenient and anyone who says otherwise has never used it.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Wireless charging is such a "me too" feature. I am sure some like it but seems like a total waste of resources. If the phone needs to stay in contact to charge it is WORSE than a wire.

You mean like on a car mount so you don't have to deal with the hassle of fumbling with a wire especially if you're constantly in and out of the car? Plus, no more common issue with dead lightning port or cable.

Or, how about night stand so you no longer have to fumble in the dark to connect it?

Surely this will go down as one of the most popular apologist arguments along with not needing more than 3.5", if you see a stylus they've failed, specs don't matter, don't need more than single core and 1GB DRAM, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.