Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Do you think Apple is going to "perfect" waterproofing or wireless charging? In what way. Maybe you should accept that sometimes Apple is just behind the competition and "perfecting" has nothing to do (but profits do)?
If they unveil wireless charging it will already be 10 steps ahead of induction charging.

Saying there is already devices that can do wireless charging is a fallacy. Induction charging is not wireless at all, just a marketing gimmick by Samsung and others. Apple doesn't call the Watch a device capable of wireless charging, because it's not.

When I can walk into an area and my phone charges in my pocket, we will have wireless charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duane Martin

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Joe,
You might want to change "waterproofing" to water resistant, which would be more apropos and accurate, given the content of your article.

"Given the higher-end "iPhone 8" is expected to be a premium smartphone, positioned above the iPhone 7s Plus, that model will likely feature wireless charging and improved waterproofing as well."

I have to agree. There is a huge difference between water proof and water resistant. Making a water proof device is hugely difficult and is a whole separate category of product usually.

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
If it was I'd seriously stop buying Apple products.

Yeah it would be frustrating but people would pay. It would be like upgrading headphones or other accessories. The first iPhone came with a dock. Now it is separate. Then they nixed the headphone jack and still provide headphones to appease (but really want you to upgrade to Airpods).

I really would not be surprised if they provide a lightning cable so you can charge it normally, but if you feel like trying wireless charging you can buy the base station separate like a phone case.

Reactions: yep-sure

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Hardware isn't the only reason Apple can charge a premium. Software and functionality are worth a lot more than $20.

That is true, but how much of a premium is it worth? Rumored specs on the iPhone 8 have it roughly the same as the Galaxy S8 but with 128GB of memory instead of 64GB and the under-glass fingerprint reader. The S8 can be had for $625 while the iPhone 8 is supposedly going to be $1,000. The question that potential buyers will be facing; is iOS worth $375 more than Android when the hardware is about equal?

To me it isn't. I would go for $750 64GB or $800 128GB which is still a decent premium over the S8. Above that and I'll let my 6+ rock on another year in anticipation the revised design will make it into the smaller and larger form factors currently occupied by the SE and Plus models with a price adjustment because it isn't "new" anymore. We'll just have to see how many others feel the same way.

Sales have been flat since the 6 was introduced. Apple can't afford another year of mediocre growth with such a highly anticipated revision to the iPhone; they need a bonafide hit particularly since Tim Cook publicly blamed the iPhone 8 hype for the sales drop last quarter. I think $1,000 will price quite a few people out of the market given the price of competitors or even the anticipated 7S+.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Can anything truly be 100% waterproof? I'm only expecting an IP68 rating.
No nothing is waterproof. Even watches will state the depth of water resistance despite being what most people would class as waterproof. It's just people misunderstanding the meaning of the word.

I hope Apple can up the anti with water resistance this time but I doubt they'll go beyond ip68.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Yeah it would be frustrating but people would pay. It would be like upgrading headphones or other accessories. The first iPhone came with a dock. Now it is separate. Then they nixed the headphone jack and still provide headphones to appease (but really want you to upgrade to Airpods).

I really would not be surprised if they provide a lightning cable so you can charge it normally, but if you feel like trying wireless charging you can buy the base station separate like a phone case.
I've bought every iPhone except 4s,5s,6s,6ss and no dock for me, just 30-pin or lightning cables with a USB wall charger. Wait I do remember owning a dock but I don't think it was included with gen 1, I could be wrong, though.
That is true, but how much of a premium is it worth? Rumored specs on the iPhone 8 have it roughly the same as the Galaxy S8 but with 128GB of memory instead of 64GB and the under-glass fingerprint reader. The S8 can be had for $625 while the iPhone 8 is supposedly going to be $1,000. The question that potential buyers will be facing; is iOS worth $375 more than Android when the hardware is about equal?

To me it isn't. I would go for $750 64GB or $800 128GB which is still a decent premium over the S8. Above that and I'll let my 6+ rock on another year in anticipation the revised design will make it into the smaller and larger form factors currently occupied by the SE and Plus models with a price adjustment because it isn't "new" anymore. We'll just have to see how many others feel the same way.

Sales have been flat since the 6 was introduced. Apple can't afford another year of mediocre growth with such a highly anticipated revision to the iPhone; they need a bonafide hit particularly since Tim Cook publicly blamed the iPhone 8 hype for the sales drop last quarter. I think $1,000 will price quite a few people out of the market given the price of competitors or even the anticipated 7S+.
What company sells a device that will have growth indefinitely? I wouldn't complain if I was in charge, iPhone 6 record sales and then flat means you have kept up with the record you set years prior. Companies do not need to make record sales every year to stay in business.

Last edited:

macguru212

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2009
AZ/NYC/Tokyo
No, Samsung raised the price of their S8's and didn't include a wireless charger with them, so don't think Apple would here. Although the expectation is that it will Qi compatible so alot of older wireless chargers should work (believe that was what my old Nokia used).
Wow - interesting twist. I suppose it depends on Apple removing a physical port.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Come on Apple, in for a penny, in for a pound. Go full wireless at a distance to match ultra-minimized bezels and integrated TouchID iPhone!

Reactions: WRChris

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Do you think Apple is going to "perfect" waterproofing or wireless charging? In what way. Maybe you should accept that sometimes Apple is just behind the competition and "perfecting" has nothing to do (but profits do)?

For example, Apple's fingerprint reader is the only usable finger print reader on the market. Almost everyone I know with an iPhone uses their fingerprint reader, while every Android user I know doesn't use theirs because it 'doesn't work' or is a pain to use.

Apple wasn't first, but they made the best one.

Another example is charging the Apple Watch. Much nicer having a magnetic charger instead of plugging the watch into a usb cord or taking the watch face off to charge (I'm looking at you, FitBit). Again, Apple's solution is much better.

It doesn't mean Apple's solution is always the best, but most of the time it is.

Heartofgoldilocks

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2017
This sounds like a problem waiting to happen. I can see this activity going south in so many ways.

I actually use my phone in the shower all the time. I've been doing it pretty much daily since I got the phone in January. I listen to music, catch up on news, write text messages, whatever...

Why are there so many people opposed to this??

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
After they trim the bezels, make it completely water proof, have it unlock automatically when you pick it up by scanning your face, have it wirelessly charge, give it a bigger display, fit a dual camera system into it and all the other magical crap that we never thought we'd see, I hope they'll work on making it shatter, dent and scratch proof. I want a phone that I don't have to put into a case. I have a toddler and a baby. I also have a workshop and like building crap outside. I have to use a case. I would prefer not to use a case. Make it happen, Apple.

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
"Nevertheless, many iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus users use their smartphones in the shower, for example, without issue."

Now I know why the bloody kids spend so long in the shower.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Sort of confirms what was reported in that Foxconn IAMA on reddit: the iPhone X (iPhone 8 as we all call it now) will be the only phone with wireless charging.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
If they unveil wireless charging it will already be 10 steps ahead of induction charging.

Saying there is already devices that can do wireless charging is a fallacy. Induction charging is not wireless at all, just a marketing gimmick by Samsung and others. Apple doesn't call the Watch a device capable of wireless charging, because it's not.

When I can walk into an area and my phone charges in my pocket, we will have wireless charging.
And you Sir will be living in a make-believe land. Wireless charging at distance is currently limited to 30cm; more restrictive than the length of your current charging cable.

Reactions: McCool71

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
For example, Apple's fingerprint reader is the only usable finger print reader on the market. Almost everyone I know with an iPhone uses their fingerprint reader, while every Android user I know doesn't use theirs because it 'doesn't work' or is a pain to use.
I think this is wrong. Google's newest Nexus and Pixel phones have a fingerprint reader that is roughly on par with the current 6s/7 fingerprint reader and slightly better than the iPhone 6 or older fingerprint reader. My main complaint from all the fingerprint readers is that perspiration or rain significantly interferes with the ability to recognize a fingerprint. If they want people to take their iPhones into the pool and shower, then work needs to be done to correct that problem.

omihek

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
Wireless charging you say? I hope that means what it sounds like, rather than "Oh bring this big brick with you everywhere along with your iPhone." If I have to bring a brick anyways, I'll just stick with the small lego-sized brick that plugs into the wall.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I sincerely hope that the wireless charging work with existing standards, because there are quite a few newer vehicles with Qi wireless charging and no one shall be mad enough to trade in a vehicle just because the phone.

Turshi

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Are we talking about true wireless charging? Or something stupid like a charger pod that the phone has to sit on?

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Nothing in the last year has even hinted at a new SE. Apple has no plans for that.

There was no hint about an iMac Pro, or HomePods either. Yeah people thought Apple might make a Siri box of some kind but no parts were seen.

But I do agree there probably won’t be a new iPhone SE
[doublepost=1497500929][/doublepost]
Say what? Who uses a phone, ANY phone, in the shower? (OK, the president might reach for his phone during a shower to tweet something).

I use mine in the bathtub. Very handy. I used to have to buy a life proof case and put it on before getting in the bath. Now... nothing
[doublepost=1497501401][/doublepost]
Not only that, but it causes heat, which degrades the battery, and its slower. Its fine for the Apple Watch because its so small with such a small battery. But not a 3000mAh battery. I would never use wireless charging. I like my docks. (Desk and nightstand)
If Apple does wireless charging it’ll be done differently. They won’t use the same tech Samsung uses, every time Apple has come late to the game with tech they’ve done it better. (Debatable, but I’m an “apple fan boy”)
Apple, not too long ago bought a wireless charging company that was able to charge from distances of meters, not centimeters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.