Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Foxconn, one of Apple's largest suppliers, has said it will begin construction of all-electric vehicle plants in the United States and Thailand this year, with hopes of them being operational by 2023, according to a report from Nikkei Asia.

Foxconn-Office.jpg

From the report:
Foxconn, the world's largest contract electronics producer, on Thursday said it will build electric vehicle manufacturing facilities in the U.S. and Thailand next year, as the key iPhone assembler accelerates efforts to catch the rising EV wave to offset the slowing smartphone industry.

Foxconn has already ruled out Mexico as a location but is in negotiations with three states in the U.S. to build its first EV manufacturing plant in North America, Nikkei Asia has learned. Those include Wisconsin, which just agreed with Foxconn to amend its former plan of investing $10 billion in the state -- a promise Foxconn made in 2017.
At first, Foxconn will use the U.S. plant to build vehicles for its client Fisker, although there could be a potential expansion to serve Apple in the future.

Apple is widely reported to be working on its own vehicle and is thought to be looking for third-party companies to help it launch the Apple Car. One report vaguely referenced Foxconn as a potential candidate for the Apple Car's production, but Apple is also looking at other possible suppliers. Apple is reportedly committed to ensuring that the battery used in the Apple Car is produced in the United States, but Foxconn does not produce batteries.

Article Link: Apple Supplier Foxconn to Begin Building Electric Vehicle Factory in the U.S. Next Year

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Heh, if people think Tesla's are repair un-friendly, then better get ready for the Apple Car.

Glued shut hood & pentalobe lugnuts. :D

And year over year, rather than be incremental like most car manufacturers, will make you rue the day you pulled the trigger on financing the model you did.

Concessions of being an Apple user translating to the car world sound like living hell to me. coupled with a dubious vision.

Reactions: RedRage

Bobout

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2017
Apple Valley
Like has been mentioned above Foxconn already said they would build a factory here years ago and never did, and if they decide to do this the iCar is going be double the cost of a Tesla.. I don’t see it .. just my opinion.

Reactions: Stella

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Like has been mentioned above Foxconn already said they would build a factory here years ago and never did, and if they decide to do this the iCar is going be double the cost of a Tesla.. I don’t see it .. just my opinion.
The campus that Foxxcon built in Wisconsin is impressive, even if it’s an empty shell. It’s in a perfect location for vehicle production given the close proximity to countless ancillary vehicle and industrial manufacturers, but the State of Wisconsin has a law that forbids direct vehicle sales, so it’s going to kill off the potential to build there, just to satisfy the dealership network. In my opinion, these old dealership laws are going to bite dealers in the butt, because times have changed and auto manufacturers are going to have to have a direct to consumer model as part of their business plan. The fact that Ford is realizing they need to shift to a build to order model, along with the shift to electric, is going to be more nails in the coffin for old-school dealerships.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
I still think that Apple will eventually abandon the Apple Car project.

Perhaps Tesla can pick up whatever r&d and infrastructure that Apple invests in between now and then.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
There are already too many electric car companies as it is, another one isn’t going to make a difference. I won’t really believe in the electric car revolution until we see the sales numbers for the F-150. It is really the only EV I’ve been at all interested in, but I live in a place where EV charging is non-existent so its a no-go for me. That being said I like seeing more manufacturing in the U.S. However, this is Foxconn, so I’m not holding my breath. (And we’re going to need to build more power plants in the meantime)

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
State of Wisconsin has a law that forbids direct vehicle sales, so it’s going to kill off the potential to build there, just to satisfy the dealership network. In my opinion, these old dealership laws are going to bite dealers in the butt, because times have changed and auto manufacturers are going to have to have a direct to consumer model as part of their business plan.
Right?! And seriously, we’re talking about probably the most detested of all sales people. I know no one who stands around and says “Man, I really can’t wait to talk to the car salesman this weekend!” People will jump at the opportunity to buy direct.

(No offense to any car salesmen here — I’ve met a few who are lovely people)

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Do people really lock their personal macs with passwords?
I have my home computers never require a password to unlock. Laptop after like 8 hours.

My thoughts exactly.

When it comes to making anything in North America, Foxconn has lived up to their name.

At least the "con" part of it.....

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Apple will not build a car, unless it has an out-of-this-world battery technology that doubles the range of anything currently on the market, for the same price per kw, or they have developed a magical self-driving technology that is 10 or 15 years ahead of its competition. Since Apple does not have neither of those two things, Apple Car is just a side project that will be killed one day or another.

Reactions: DanTSX

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Right?! And seriously, we’re talking about probably the most detested of all sales people. I know no one who stands around and says “Man, I really can’t wait to talk to the car salesman this weekend!” People will jump at the opportunity to buy direct.

(No offense to any car salesmen here — I’ve met a few who are lovely people)
It’s really not the salesman but the salesman / manager / finance guy game. Like you, I’ve had great car salesmen. But the moment things progress to an actual sale, things get tiring very quickly.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I couldn't see Apple trying to make their vehicles in North America - could Foxconn be working on a deal with another EV manufacturer?

Makes a lot of sense. Just about every other car (with some exceptions) that's sold in the US is manufactured in the US. That started 40 or so years ago dealing with trade protectionism consequences.

Reactions: 7493920

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Apple will not build a car, unless it has an out-of-this-world battery technology that doubles the range of anything currently on the market, for the same price per kw, or they have developed a magical self-driving technology that is 10 or 15 years ahead of its competition. Since Apple does not have neither of those two things, Apple Car is just a side project that will be killed one day or another.

Wouldn't bet on it. Apple has been employing battery technology research scientists with graduate degrees for a long time.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Makes a lot of sense. Just about every other car (with some exceptions) that's sold in the US is manufactured in the US. That started 40 or so years ago dealing with trade protectionism consequences.
I think there's a few being made in Mexico, from what I understood in some online articles.

MikeSmoke

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
It would really be a trump card if Apple has concealed top facing solar panels and the car is self charging in addition to wired. Game changer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.