Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huges84

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
If Apple will use batteries built in the US, then it’s 99% chance they will build the car in the US (the other 1% chance is building in Canada or Mexico). High capacity Li-ion batteries needed for cars are very difficult and expensive to ship separate from the car due to strict US and international safety laws. It’s much easier to ship an EV then the battery cells or pack on their own. So everybody tries to build their batteries near to the car factories.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Wouldn't bet on it. Apple has been employing battery technology research scientists with graduate degrees for a long time.
If Apple had any breakthrough technology in battery field, we would have seen evidence in other Apple devices, rumors, patents, research papers, anything that could point out in this direction.

huges84

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
It would really be a trump card if Apple has concealed top facing solar panels and the car is self charging in addition to wired. Game changer.
Sorry, but that would be pointless. It should be obvious to everyone that if solar panels on the car had any significant impact to charging, then most EVs would already have them.

The solar panels that you could fit on a car would only put out like 0.2 kW max, for maybe 8 hours (since angle of sun is too low during early and late hours). So call it 1.5 kWh per day, absolute best case (most of the time it will be much less). That’s only enough energy to drive 6 miles in ideal conditions. Plus you just made an already heavy and expensive vehicle even more so.

Reactions: sirio76

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
If Apple had any breakthrough technology in battery field, we would have seen evidence in other Apple devices, rumors, patents, research papers, anything that could point out in this direction.

Not necessarily. I assume you researched and read Apple's internal research papers, etc?

And that Apple is just keeping these battery research engineers and scientists on the payroll just for the heck of it?

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
Does it have camera scanners that scans the car passengers faces and report it to a central DB just in case it finds a match for a missing child?
Actually, If you were a parent of a young child, you might get behind that.....just saying. With the amount of kids that go missing.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
Who knows (though I doubt that's how they'd be branded)... Apple turned how people consume music on its head. Smartphones, too.
People need to stop thinking of Apple as a computer/phone maker and realize that they are just a tech company and will get into and upend and innovate any area that they get into.

Reactions: citysnaps

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
People need to stop thinking of Apple as a computer/phone maker and realize that they are just a tech company and will get into and upend and innovate any area that they get into.

That's it exactly! If there's an interesting opportunity, Apple will investigate it. And maybe change the way people have been engaging with tech (or perhaps cars) in the past.

Reactions: subi257

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Not necessarily. I assume you researched and read Apple's internal research papers, etc?

And that Apple is just keeping these battery research engineers and scientists on the payroll just for the heck of it?
Why wouldn’t they use such tech in their other devices if it is so advanced? Waiting to put it in a car seems like a waste.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Why wouldn’t they use such tech in their other devices if it is so advanced? Waiting to put it in a car seems like a waste.

Batteries designed for low power devices (phones/computers/etc) and batteries designed for cars have hugely different power demands, uses, and requirements and thus employ different chemistry/technology.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Batteries designed for low power devices (phones/computers/etc) and batteries designed for cars have hugely different power demands, uses, and requirements and thus employ different chemistry/technology.
Is there really a huge difference between a single cell in a car and a cell used in a phone/laptop/tablet?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Actually, If you were a parent of a young child, you might get behind that.....just saying. With the amount of kids that go missing.

I might be interested too to turn all phone, IoT, computer, and security cameras into constant on 24/7 just in case one of them finds a match to the picture of my child...that does not make it the right thing to do.

You have to respect the privacy of others, if your child goes missing that does not mean you have the right to come into my house and look around as you please and open every cabinet and drawer using the "missing child" as an excuse.

• Sad
Reactions: subi257

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
But why? What are the negatives for using LiPo over say NCA or NMC811 or LFP?

If you'd like an answer you can rely on, it would be best to direct your question to a scientist who specializes in battery technology for particular applications.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
I might be interested too to turn all phone, IoT, computer, and security cameras into constant on 24/7 just in case one of them finds a match to the picture of my child...that does not make it the right thing to do.

You have to respect the privacy of others, if your child goes missing that does not mean you have the right to come into my house and look around as you please and open every cabinet and drawer using the "missing child" as an excuse.
However, being that they own the servers, I guess they can say it's a requirement of using them. I will assume that whatever people are not happy, they will stop using iCloud ? All of the IoT in most people's houses are doing some form of monitoring. If you read the fine print in the Samsung smart TV's there is a microphone and they are listening for "marketing" purposes....at least, so I have been told, i'm not going to read through all of that fine print. All of the apps on smart phones are tracking where you go so that they can get you better service ;)

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
However, being that they own the servers, I guess they can say it's a requirement of using them. I will assume that whatever people are not happy, they will stop using iCloud ? All of the IoT in most people's houses are doing some form of monitoring. If you read the fine print in the Samsung smart TV's there is a microphone and they are listening for "marketing" purposes....at least, so I have been told, i'm not going to read through all of that fine print. All of the apps on smart phones are tracking where you go so that they can get you better service ;)

yes, and the lie that they want you to believe is that it has to be this way. No it does not.

You can use Linux on a PC and it will not track you. People has been using Nokia phones for decades and there was no tracking and scanning. Even e-mail services like Hotmail back in the day, while they could, they did not monetise it or sell or were even interested in reading your emails.

They want you to believe that you have to give up your privacy to use modern technology, but this is a lie.

Yes they can enforce their rules on their servers and here is the exact problem. Google and FB also can let you use their services without tracking you and share your data and build profile on you, but guess what? their servers, their software, their rules. Now Apple is just becoming another Google and FB.

I use ProtonMail for email. Their servers their rules. They give end-to-end encryption unable to scan my files even if they wanted to. See how ProtonMail is much nicer for my privacy than Apple?

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
yes, and the lie that they want you to believe is that it has to be this way. No it does not.

You can use Linux on a PC and it will not track you. People has been using Nokia phones for decades and there was no tracking and scanning. Even e-mail services like Hotmail back in the day, while they could, they did not monetise it or sell or were even interested in reading your emails.

They want you to believe that you have to give up your privacy to use modern technology, but this is a lie.

Yes they can enforce their rules on their servers and here is the exact problem. Google and FB also can let you use their services without tracking you and share your data and build profile on you, but guess what? their servers, their software, their rules. Now Apple is just becoming another Google and FB.

I use ProtonMail for email. Their servers their rules. They give end-to-end encryption unable to scan my files even if they wanted to. See how ProtonMail is much nicer for my privacy than Apple?
You are correct as it does not have to be that way and that would be your choice, the point of some of the apps looking for location is for marketing and customer benefit. Eventually that is the way it will all be. I assume that some day in the future it might be take it or leave it. I will suspect the more that you remove benefits to the store that the apps are for, the less they will want to have apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.