Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to implement 5G technology in all of the iPhones coming in 2020, and Apple's suppliers are gearing up for the transition. One supplier, Murata Manufacturing, recently developed an "ultrasmall" version of a key electronic component, which will allow Apple to free up a bit of valuable space in its 5G iPhones.

According to Japanese news site Nikkei, Murata Manufacturing is set to start mass producing tiny multilayer ceramic capacitors that take up one-fifth of the space of the existing capacitors, but also offer 10 times the electrical storage capacity.

muratacapacitors.jpg

Each individual capacitor measures in at 0.25mm by 0.125mm, which is tiny. The capacitors are designed to regulate power usage within circuits used in the iPhone, and to create its ultrasmall capacitors, Murata was able to refine the ceramic powder that provides the base material for the sheets used in the capacitor, which allows more sheets to be stacked up for higher capacity without more space consumed on a circuit board.

5G technology is a bigger power drain than 4G technology, necessitating larger batteries and more efficient components. Murata's new capacitors will give smartphone designers like Apple freedom to use that space for other important components within the iPhone, such as higher-capacity batteries.

There's no confirmation that Apple is going to use Murata's technology, but it seems likely as Murata is a supplier for Apple. Murata also works with other smartphone companies such as Huawei.

Apple is planning to introduce at least three new iPhones in the fall of 2020, all of which are expected to include 5G technology to allow the iPhone to take advantage of 5G networks and better compete with Android smartphones.

Article Link: Apple Supplier Shrinks Down Capacitors Needed for 5G iPhone, Freeing Up Valuable Internal Space

Last edited:

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Oh boy, can't wait to see once this is released into electronics that are used around the world if any unforseen 'problems' crop up ... whether premature failure, or whatever.

Reactions: IG88 and PC_tech

outskirtsofinfinity

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2017
Calgary
Seems to me they're so tiny that it would increase the risk of a short circuit failure mode? When a capacitor fails, you always want it to fail "open", not "short".

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I have no desire to have 5G anytime soon. In fact, I'll be happy to see how it settles and if we have any health issues because 5G seems to be massive health risk from what I've gathered so far. So, I'll wait it out.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I wish there were some specs on the capacitors here. There are already many choices of capacitors at that size available from a different manufacturer. Murata makes 1 out of 255 listed there. Taiyo Yuden makes all the others. Including a cheaper one with the same specs but a higher voltage rating.
Are they the same size? According to the article they take up 1/5 the space of current components. So if the footprint is the same, they are presumably shorter in height. But that doesn’t necessarily translate to an actual benefit, if the components they’re next to are taller anyway.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
some of my friends are convinced they had an iphone 5g in 2012.

Yea... amazing what some folks are convinced of - no matter what the FACTS are.

Friend of mine tried to convince me is Iphone 6 had wireless charging.

Oh well..

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I have no desire to have 5G anytime soon. In fact, I'll be happy to see how it settles and if we have any health issues because 5G seems to be massive health risk from what I've gathered so far. So, I'll wait it out.

Even if we won't buy 5G phones, how would we prevent ourselves from being bathed in the waves, sitting in the comfort of our homes?

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
If by “massive health risk” you mean no increased health risk, then you gather correctly. But there’s no harm in waiting if you’d prefer.

Reactions: CarlJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.