Apple Supplier TSMC Recovering From 'Debilitating' Computer Virus [Updated x2]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 6, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple supplier Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company is in recovery from a "debilitating" computer virus that hit many of its fabrication tools this past Friday evening. The company says that 80 percent of the affected tools have been restored, but it's now on a path to warn its customers -- potentially including Apple -- of delayed shipments and reduced revenue due to the virus (via Bloomberg).

[​IMG]

TSMC builds chips for Apple's iPhone, and in late July a report from DigiTimes stated that the supplier had begun commercial production of chips manufactured using its advanced 7-nanometer process, including Apple's A12 processor for the 2018 iPhones. Now TSMC says many of its customers can expect shipment delays, although it didn't specify which customers would be affected.

The supplier says that "no confidential information" was compromised during the virus attack and as of Sunday most of its customers had been notified. TSMC believes the virus came from a "misoperation" during the software installation process for a new tool that then spread through its computer network, and one analyst thinks "all of TSMC's 12-inch wafer fabrication plants" were infected.
    Although it's unclear how the virus will end up affecting Apple and the trio of iPhones expected to be revealed next month, Apple is TSMC's largest customer and is said to account for more than 21 percent of TSMC's revenue. Apple chose TSMC to remain the exclusive supplier of the upcoming A12 processor for the new iPhones, following rumors from last year that suggested Samsung could be returning to iPhone chip production in 2018.

Despite the fear over chip shipment delays, Apple is likely to have plans in place for any potential supply chain delays, as Bloomberg points out:
    Apple is expected to announce three iPhone models at an event in September: two OLED models measuring in at 5.8 and 6.5 inches and a 6.1-inch lower-cost LCD model. All three iPhones released in 2018 will support Face ID and edge-to-edge displays, with designs similar to last year's tenth-anniversary iPhone X. According to the latest supply chain analysis (which came prior to TSMC's virus attack), the OLED iPhones were predicted to have a typical September launch window while the LCD model could "possibly" be delayed to October.

Update: TSMC provided more information in a statement Monday morning, placing blame for the virus attack on a variant of the 2017 WannaCry ransomware. The virus hit facilities in Tainan, Hsinchu and Taichung, including locations that produce Apple chips. According to TSMC CEO C.C. Wei, an "unidentified vendor" provided the company with the infected tool, ruling out the possibility of a hacker targeting TSMC.
    Update 2: Bloomberg updated its article, stating that TSMC "is expected to be able to fill orders on time for Apple Inc.," so there appears to be no delay in chip shipments for the 2018 iPhones.

Article Link: Apple Supplier TSMC Recovering From 'Debilitating' Computer Virus [Updated x2]

2. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

An “Excuse” Thats out of of Apples control? How so?

4. MedRed macrumors member

MedRed

5. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

Yikes... Let's hope they had some semblance of a business continuity plan in place for something like this. Who knows what the lead time on replacement equipment for this kind of stuff might be.

6. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Wait and see what effects come from this. I read elsewhere TMSC has been making the A12 CPU for quite a while at this point - so Apple should already have a bunch of the CPU's on hand for the new iPhones.

7. wickawicka macrumors member

wickawicka

They don't have to replace anything.

8. grad macrumors regular

They should have used Windows. It has more and better antivirus programs :D

9. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

/smashes stuxnet flash drive with hammer
    /burns debris... and hammer
    /blows up ashes with grenade
    /melts shrapnel in furnace
    /demolition building containing furnace
    /grinds rubble to dust
    /puts dust on rocket send to outer space
    /destroys rocket

/whistles softly while stepping to mic

"This is a terrible thing. If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know."
    -Samsung spokesman

Just kidding:D Or am I?:eek:

10. usersince86 macrumors 6502

usersince86

Yikes. Surprising, but not surprising. Evidently TSMC uses PCs (not Macs) -- which is probably true in nearly all manufacturing.

11. Princejb134 macrumors 6502

Yup something always happens every year to Apple suppliers just to delay the product. Nothing new here

12. newyorksole macrumors 68040

This is one rumor that worries me :( , but I’m not TOO worried. I’m sure Apple has plans in place.

13. BLUEDOG314 macrumors 6502

BLUEDOG314

I hear ZTE has a custom A12 chip in its next phone.

14. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

How do you know? I hope this isn't the case, but they may need to swap out PLCs, relays, etc. depending on how intrusive/destructive the virus was.

15. mokes macrumors newbie

Subtle.

16. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

17. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

The competition is crazy jealous with Apple they will do anything to slow them. SAD

18. Aussi3 macrumors 6502

Aussi3

19. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

20. belvdr, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018

belvdr macrumors 603

These SCADA networks need to be better protected. I've seen so many that are simply routeable subnets from the internal subnets.
    Article states it was from "misoperation" during software installation. How can you attribute this to a competitor doing something?

21. mdnz macrumors 6502

Almost all big companies use PCs. So they're all vulnerable? I have a newflash for you: All servers Apple are using are also PCs.

22. Beelzbub macrumors 6502

Oh I can here it now - "how do I know if my A12 processor was made before or after the TSMC virus" or "my iPhone A12 was made before the virus and my girlfriends was after the virus and my girlfriends iPhone runs hotter and crashes frequently" and "my pre virus A12 iPhone gets better battery life than mom's iPhone who got hers after the virus".

23. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Your iPhone is throttled by virus. Reapplying the anti-viral paste on the CPU will cool it down.

24. travelsheep macrumors 6502

travelsheep

The iPhone notch is too wide, a top chin would look a lot better. What's next ... zig zags?

25. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

Probably neither Windows nor Apple nor Linux.

Manufacturing and Production automation relies totally on real time OSes. And these processes are networked together under SCADA networks ("Supervisory control and Data Acquisition".)

On an aside the term "computer virus" is applied on the post under generic terms.
    My guess from past SCADA attacks, and more likely than not: a very specialized computer worm, that self-replicated across the SCADA network.