Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised to see Foxconn buying an empty Big 3 plan or build one in the US. Sure there can be some levels of self driving, but the driver will need to maintain the controls of the car - our Tort Court actions already in the us show how important that can be.

If the project does go forward I believe that they should open cup with both a sedan to drool over and a SUV design, with some emphasis on ease of entry & exit plus decent luggage for trips with the family. SUVs have replaced station wagons and vans and top in popularity it seems odd to not put it first, so release it jointly with the sedans. Foxconn can handle. that - especially with Apple's cash!

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I work in a private school, and although I commute in my trusty old Saab, I can't wait to see the car park fill up with Apple Cars in a morning when all the parents race to out-do one another. They need to do a big 4x4 to corner the 'I need a hardcore off-road vehicle to drive my kids five miles to school' Range Rover owning types.
Personally hate private education... nothing personal though! :) And yes, I hear you! I used to work for a company that thrived on the whole "one-upmanship of rich parents"... Glad I don't have to work for that bitch any more.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Just have to laugh every time I see that picture of that Apple Car mock up. Just god awful.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I’m guessing an “attractive low” entry price of $49,9. But in the mid 60s or so when you start adding packages most anyone would want, and who knows if/how high from there. And probably some innovative new way to finance the **** out of your life similar to how easy it is to get every new Apple product with low monthly payments at zero percent interest. (It’s a perpetual cash flow into Apples wallet from us though, so it works for them.)

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Speaking of "long term"...will Apple stop supporting these cars after 7 years?
Apple is going to change the meaning of a "Vintage" car...and not in a good way.
Good question/thought. Although, most cars get an annual update. But I guess your concern was about actual support and not about them releasing a new model every year.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Good question/thought. Although, most cars get an annual update. But I guess your concern was about actual support and not about them releasing a new model every year.
In the US the battery pack would have to be supported for 8 years 100k miles. Not sure if the EU or other countries have the same rules. The "bumper to bumper" waranty can be whatever Apple thinks it can get away with.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
looks like the results of a clandestine affair between a Chevy Corsair and a 1974 BMW 3.0Csi

Sir_Macs_A_Lot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2020
Yes, my question was more about support. Not sure how often Apple would plan on releasing new models...though they would need to for updated functionality, new features and flaw fixes.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
A few thoughts:
  • Apple are definitely going to make cars. It's too big of a business and definitely in their wheel house (pun intended). It's the only market they can enter and double or triple their revenue. They have a lot of value they can add – especially when it comes to the media console and entertainment and self driving. This could sound silly to a "car person" but I think many would be surprised at how big a factor something like CarPlay is in even expensive vehicles. We didn't buy a Mercedes because the one we were in the market for didn't have CarPlay.
  • The average new car in the US now sells for $47K. So for all the $16K cars, there are plenty being sold at the $80K mark or higher. That's how much my BMW came to and it's just an X3 with some options. Not fancy. Remember how much the average phone sold for before iPhone came out. I think Apple could easily come in at higher end BMW versions (5, 6 series or X5 or X7) and have a huge market. There's a lot of room sub $100K.
  • I don't think Tesla is as untouchable as their fans make out. I'll give all credit to Musk and Tesla for starting this EV revolution, but their interiors and quality are nowhere near the apex of what a car can be.
  • Tesla has a very loyal fan base and, by most accounts, they're an absolute blast to drive, but I see their prestige diminishing as time goes on. It's not special to have one anymore and a lot of other great EVs are coming out.
  • With cars being much larger than phones, I think Apple will have an easier time with automation in their factories and will be more able to more easily be able to stomach the labour cost of manufacturing in the US (or other non China place).

• Wow
Reactions: diamond.g

icwhatudidthere

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2019
A few thoughts:
  • Apple are definitely going to make cars. It's too big of a business and definitely in their wheel house (pun intended). It's the only market they can enter and double or triple their revenue. They have a lot of value they can add – especially when it comes to the media console and entertainment and self driving. This could sound silly to a "car person" but I think many would be surprised at how big a factor something like CarPlay is in even expensive vehicles. We didn't buy a Mercedes because the one we were in the market for didn't have CarPlay.
  • The average new car in the US now sells for $47K. So for all the $16K cars, there are plenty being sold at the $80K mark or higher. That's how much my BMW came to and it's just an X3 with some options. Not fancy. Remember how much the average phone sold for before iPhone came out. I think Apple could easily come in at higher end BMW versions (5, 6 series or X5 or X7) and have a huge market. There's a lot of room sub $100K.
  • I don't think Tesla is as untouchable as their fans make out. I'll give all credit to Musk and Tesla for starting this EV revolution, but their interiors and quality are nowhere near the apex of what a car can be.
  • Tesla has a very loyal fan base and, by most accounts, they're an absolute blast to drive, but I see their prestige diminishing as time goes on. It's not special to have one anymore and a lot of other great EVs are coming out.
  • With cars being much larger than phones, I think Apple will have an easier time with automation in their factories and will be more able to more easily be able to stomach the labour cost of manufacturing in the US (or other non China place).

As a current Tesla owner and previous BMW and Mercedes owner, I'd say I'm squarely in that market and also that Apple is probably the only company that can lure me away from my Tesla. The whole experience is just much better than what I've had from my previous BMW and Mercedes that I haven't even entertained their EV offerings.

Software is a huge part of that. The legacy manufacturers are just realizing this I might look at something like the EQE but the BMW i40 no longer does it for me (previous BMW was the 435 Gran Coupe so the i40 is the direct replacement for it). Otherwise, I'm holding out for an Apple car or for Tesla to get over the frickin games and start fixing the media offerings.

mark63303

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
I'll believe these car rumors when something comes to fruition. The investment and coordination on a new project of this size, all while the car market is moving to electric, will be a daunting task. This is not as easy as engineering a new electronic gadget.

mark63303

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
I still don't think Apple will build an actual car. Rather, they'll release car platform of sorts. An OS with software APIs and custom silicon that other car companies can use. Apple can supply all the smart hardware (the SoC, the sensors, the software, etc.) without taking on the risk of building an actual car. Sort of like Sony's VISION-S project - the point is to become a proprietary supplier without doing any of the messy bits.
I agree that this is more likely.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
A few thoughts:
I wouldn’t say it’s the only market they can enter and do that. They sold of a microfiber cloth with an Apple logo on it. (Still blows my mind).

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Regarding the images of what the Apple car may look like... I would be shocked if it looked too much like what we think of as a car. Especially if they are able to release the car as entirely driver-less. I don't know how that would look with lots of differing government regulations around the world... but if you take away the requirement of a human driver, presumably fully electric, I could see Apple completely re-writing what a car looks like.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
Apple is not capable of building a car. Apple is definitely not capable of servicing a car.

Folks, the Apple Car isn't going to happen. Sure, Apple's got some people playing around with car stuff, but it's not anywhere close to a serious effort to build an actual car.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I could see Apple completely re-writing what a car looks like.

future-cars.jpg

Ok - that's not what I envision an Apple Car looking like..! But - they are driverless (err, and, gravity defying) cars as imagined for the tv series "Cold Lazarus" back in the mid 90's... They were also ownerless - you didn't own one, you just used them as you needed them... but still... without the traditional requirements and assumptions - Apple could easily re-write what cars look like.

subroutines

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
future-cars.jpg

Ok - that's not what I envision an Apple Car looking like..! But - they are driverless (err, and, gravity defying) cars as imagined for the tv series "Cold Lazarus" back in the mid 90's... They were also ownerless - you didn't own one, you just used them as you needed them... but still... without the traditional requirements and assumptions - Apple could easily re-write what cars look like.

basically public transportation

etoscano

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2022
Apple is not capable of building a car. Apple is definitely not capable of servicing a car.

Folks, the Apple Car isn't going to happen. Sure, Apple's got some people playing around with car stuff, but it's not anywhere close to a serious effort to build an actual car.
When you have the amount of capital Apple has at its disposal, yes Apple could enter any market. Apple could easily follow the plan laid out by Tesla. Since we are talking electric vehicles, there is no gas powered engine, transmission etc., much simpler to work on and service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.