I've been loosely following this situation, as my iPad 2 has it to some extent, but have been ambivalent about following-up on it. It's tempting to exchange but, a) there seem to be many units that have it and, b) you could always end up with worse problems. I was ready to accept it and move on. Recently, though, I've seen a few comments around suggesting that Apple might be acknowledging the issue, and suggesting customers wait before exchanging for a new unit. iPhonewzealand.co.nz, a legitimate Apple blog in NZ, called Apple Support and got through to a senior advisor, who had this to say: http://www.iphonewzealand.co.nz/2011/all/ipad-2-screen-bleeding-what-can-you-do-if-it-affects-you/ There is also this post over at Apple Discussions. Forum posts are obviously less reliable, but it appears genuine: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2779476&start=285&tstart=0 Finally, this post by another user on the same page offers corroboration. However, colour me sceptical about this one: Anyway, the point of this thread is to consolidate any information you might have from an Apple Store, Apple Support, etc. for anyone who's interested in following this issue.