Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several car manufacturers offer built-in Qi wireless chargers that are compatible with the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and the iPhone X, and Apple this evening published a new support document highlighting vehicles that support the feature.

According to Apple, Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, PSA, Toyota, Volkswagen, Volvo offer Qi-based wireless charging options that work with the iPhone 8 and "might work with the iPhone 8 Plus."

Apple can't say for sure that the iPhone 8 Plus is compatible with these vehicles because some wireless chargers have physical size constraints that might not fit every phone.

qivolkswagen-800x419.jpg
A Qi wireless charging cubby in the Volkswagen Tiguan

Apple also lists several specific 2018 vehicle models from Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC that offer wireless charging that's compatible with both the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus, though the same size caveat applies.

- 2018 GMC Terrain
- 2018 GMC Yukon
- 2018 GMC Sierra
- 2018 Chevrolet Bolt
- 2018 Chevrolet Tahoe
- 2018 Chevrolet Silverado
- 2018 Chevrolet Suburban
- 2018 Cadillac Escalade
- 2018 Buick Enclave

Wireless charging in 2017 and earlier models from Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC does not meet the requirements for Qi certification and thus will not work with the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

Apple's support document does not yet mention the soon-to-be released iPhone X, but it features the same Qi-based wireless charging functionality that's in the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus. The iPhone X is larger than the iPhone 8 but smaller than the iPhone 8 Plus and thus may also not be compatible with all in-car wireless chargers due to size limitations.

Before purchasing a vehicle with a Qi-based wireless charging feature, Apple recommends customers make sure that their iPhones will fit in the charger first.

Article Link: Apple Support Doc Highlights In-Car Wireless Chargers That Work With iPhone 8 and 8 Plus

bradley8795

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
It absolutely does not work with the Chevy Bolt...maybe the X will but the 8 and 8 Plus do not.

Reactions: poppe
Comment

saberone

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
When’s wireless CarPlay getting rolled out by VW and others?

That’s the right question. Wireless charging makes no sense if you do not have wireless carplay. But current car owners won’t care since car manufacturers aren’t exactly known for their upgradeability.

Off-topic: Carplay really needs some extra love. Reliability isn’t where it’s supposed to be

Comment

mariusignorello

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2013
*Some automotive wireless chargers have physical size constraints and might not fit every phone. If you're planning on buying a car with a wireless charger, make sure that your iPhone will fit in the charger first.

Welp, the iPhone 8 Plus doesn't fit in the slot. Gotta return the car and get another one! :D

Comment

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
People wanted a universal charging “port”. Voilá. Qi is about to explode. It’ll be absolutely everywhere in under 2 years. Cars, hotels, coffee shops, restaurant tables, office furniture. Anywhere you sit down for a bit, you’ll just lay down your phone and top up through the day. Empty batteries are going to become a thing of the past.

Hopefully AirPower lives up to its name and actually works through the air. That’ll explain why it’s not yet ready to be rolled out.

Reactions: Ntombi
Comment

bradley8795

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
It's only the 2018 models for Chevy Bolt, older ones won't work.
Well my 2017 Bolt has wireless charging that works with the Galaxy S8. I just assume that the induction coils aren’t positioned right for the iPhone.

Comment

jclo

Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
California
Well my 2017 Bolt has wireless charging that works with the Galaxy S8. I just assume that the induction coils aren’t positioned right for the iPhone.

The support doc says those models don't have a Qi-certified charger, so the charging won't work with iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X even though it works w/ Samsung devices. Guess they're tweaking it in 2018 and later models.

Reactions: KeithBN
Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
People wanted a universal charging “port”. Voilá. Qi is about to explode. It’ll be absolutely everywhere in under 2 years. Cars, hotels, coffee shops, restaurant tables, office furniture. Anywhere you sit down for a bit, you’ll just lay down your phone and top up through the day. Empty batteries are going to become a thing of the past.

Hopefully AirPower lives up to its name and actually works through the air. That’ll explain why it’s not yet ready to be rolled out.
Lol, as a former Note 7 owner twice over, please don’t say Qi is about to explode.:eek: It makes my left eye twitch. ;):D

Comment

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Do these and upcoming cars also have wireless CarPlay? If not, then it doesn't really matter that much, since you'll want to plug it in anyway.
...Bluetooth. No need to plug it in if you have wireless charging.

Comment

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
FWIW: My 2017 Chevy Bolt Owner’s Manual says the wireless charging pocket supports both PMA and Qi compatible charging. And the charging pocket fits an iPhone 7+ (without a case). We’ll see what happens with the X on 11/03!!

Comment

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
My 2016 Kia Optima has a Qi mat built in as well, wonder what’s different? I understand the new Apple charging method isn’t necessarily Qi but something proproetary but I thought Qi accessories were to work?

As someone else said, without wireless CarPlay it’s not that helpful, since the phone charges when plugged in, but it’s be cool nonetheless if the charging worked for those short trips...especially since I paid for it when I got the car! LOL

Comment

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
For anyone curious about the new Honda Accord I can confirm it worked in a 2018 Touring I checked out the other day. The salesman said I was the first person to try the feature.

Comment

gauspad216

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2008
My 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT has qi apparently. My iPhone 6 fits with at least a few cm of space with a case. Would think the x will fit for sure.

Attachments

• F5256F29-2A80-4A92-8FA3-1DBC77EB5F73.jpeg
    F5256F29-2A80-4A92-8FA3-1DBC77EB5F73.jpeg
    807.9 KB · Views: 5,700
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.