Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
They aren’t removing it to give you more features, I’m pretty confident.
It’s been suggested that the move to 5G requires some fairly expensive antenna bits, and some other manufacturers are going to raise their prices $100 to account for that. There was also a suggestion that Apple may not raise the price when everyone else does. So if they do that, it essentially is removing it and diving you new features i compensation.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Cheap chargers lol? You mean the non-Apple ones to that routinely catch on fire and injure or kill people?

I haven’t needed any low spec 5 W in the box charger for years. Sorry if the word cheap upset you and yes there’s always even cheaper plastic waste to be found that’s also called a charger.

chengengaun

Contributor
Feb 7, 2012
I haven’t needed any low spec 5 W in the box charger for years. Sorry if the word cheap upset you and yes there’s always even cheaper plastic waste to be found that’s also called a charger.
Might not be a cheap charger but surely a cheap practice. Would be better to include a fast charger or not at all.

Why not Apple offer charger as a no-cost option? Users can opt for a charger if they need one. Admittedly this will increase complexity and cost (and easy for me to suggest), but at the scale Apple sells iPhones they can probably manage it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tennisproha

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
But iPhone is not becoming more popular. 2015 was peak iPhone year (231 million units sold).
I will say it's less about popularity, but more an indicator that more people are holding on to their phones longer, rather than upgrading every other year. This seems to be a direction the entire smartphone industry is headed towards. So while Apple may be selling fewer iPhones now, they don't seem to be losing the sales to anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.