Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
We have an 11” and a MBP with butterfly. The butterfly keyboard isn’t ideal but it works. The 11” however is amazing and still gets used daily. It’s currently a school laptop, and while I’d love to replace it Apple does not have a comparable Mac right now.
I love my 11" air -- only complaint maybe would be the screen but it doesn't bother me at all. I just WISH I could use my 21" LG UltraFine 4k with it! :(

Reactions: jeffreyg

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
There's a very strong market for 2lb devices.

When you get down to that weight category a half pound is substantial. A pound is huge.

Yet this is't widely excepted; hence the 'Why not the Air' comments.

Samsung makes (of course) a pretty nice 2lb machine that I have. The Galaxy Book Pro. It's got thunderbolt and OLED (albeit 1080), and the screen is 13"!. They use magnesium, which is a great material (feels like plastic). It's got a normal 2.4ghz 11th gen i5, and not a ultra chip. I had the S version which is 2lbs, but it had those 1.7ghz ultra chips. It also is a great 2lb laptop, btw.

Point is: Apple drops ball, Samsung picks it up. Who's the champ now? LOL

Note: the 15.6" version of the GBP weighs 2.31 lbs! this is remarkable.

Last edited:

bowersan

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
At the time, it was the prettiest, lightest, newest design with a retina display and a brand new keyboard. Compared to everything else on sale in 2015 it was night and day. It's still my main computer but I'm definitely looking forward to replacing it. As a frequent traveller, low weight and innovative design is something I'd pay a premium for.

Apple's choice to replicate the MacBook design across all their computers essentially made the MacBook obsolete.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Apple Silicon, 2 ports (1 on each side, for the love of god), and a Sim-card slot!

Apple, if you planning to make a computer with only 1 port, then dont, just spare us. Anything less than 4 port is not a computer. And for the ones you called pros, it needs to have atleast 6 of them.

Macbook Air 2017 has 4 ports (MagSafe, 2xUSB, 1xThunderbolt) + SD card slot + 3.5mm jack.

When i goto office sometime (mostly its WFH) i connect thunderbolt drive, usb keyboard, usb mouse, hdmi monitor and MagSafe to Macbook pro 15inch (Late 2013)

1 port - FAIL. Yes, it needs 2 ports. And at least one thunderbolt port at that.
Good to see a few folks ask for moar ports. If they're gonna use USB C for everything, moar ports is important. I would require 3 minimum (charging, external monitor, card reader/printer/whatever), 4 would be nice.

I feel so Ollie Twist asking for moar, Moar, MOAR.? "Please, sir, I want some more."

Y’all act like daisy chaining isn’t a thing. It’s a laptop not a workstation.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Make it so.
I never understood the need for MacBook nothing compared to the MacBook Air. It seems to be aimed at the exact same demographics. What I’m missing out?
If you had ever held one, you would understand.

28664-45072-1322-MacBook-Air-vs-1222-MacBook-thinnest-comparison-l.jpg

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
My answer: Would be fantastic if my iPad Pro 11" (with Smart Keyboard and external Trackpad) get optionally macOS.
This would certainly help the terribly underpowered iPadOS conundrum for M1 iPad Pros...

However, weight-wise I would not be happy. The 11" iPad Pro with smart keyboard weights -more- than the 12" MacBook. And the latter has a noticeably bigger screen on top.

Also the speakers on the 12" MacBook are louder, more full-bodied and just better than even 4 speakers on the iPad Pro. No comparison, really, as the MacBook speakers face the viewer/listener while the iPad speakers send all sound to the sides.

And frankly, I love having a -real- headphone jack. ;)

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I love my 11" air -- only complaint maybe would be the screen but it doesn't bother me at all. I just WISH I could use my 21" LG UltraFine 4k with it! :(
We got the 11" shortly after it was released so it's served us well. I can't fault it for not supporting more modern accessories or OS features, especially when it still works like it's brand new. I did get her 12.9" iPad Pro back in March and it was only by having that device that she started to notice it wasn't as zippy as it once was. I'd get her an M1 air, but I am a firm believer that to maximize Apple product ownership you need to get the item as soon as it's released.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Macbook 12" is my favourite Apple product ever, perfect size and weight. Also it has the best screen i have ever seen on an Apple laptop.

Those suggesting an iPad is a replacement to a MacBook must be mad, MacBook is miles better than any iPad.

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
The 11" iPad is absolutely no successor to the 12" laptop (or any other laptop).

I am afraid, like the original poster, that this is Apple's understanding too.
Afterall, to them the iPad is a full computer.

... really depends on what you do. I have both a 12" MacBook and a 11" M1 iPad Pro, and the latter sucks in comparison. It is -not- a computer in comparison. And hence no usable "successor".

If Apple these days is run by people who truly think the 11" iPad Pro is a perfect successor to the 12" MacBook - then I think Apple is doomed. This cannot end well.

Reactions: dan98

speedyraf

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
My SO and I looked at the 12" MacBook and considered it before buying our 2015 MacBook Airs - 11" and 13" respectively. We liked the MacBooks' size, weight, screen, trackpad and speakers but thought it way underpowered with only 1 port and comparably high price. If Apple updates it with the M1 and better specs, we'd think about it seriously. Some software we use regularly is not available with the iPad OS, another factor for us.

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
Line up next year:

- 12 inch MacBook with m1 from $899
- 14 inch MacBook Air with m2 from $1099
- 14 inch MacBook Pro m1x from $1399
- 16 inch MacBook Pro m1x from $1699

I really liked the 12 inch, and it would be a great “budget” laptop for apple, the original 12 inch MacBook was quite expensive because of the way they used a special form factor of batteries to make battery life acceptable.

That is really the conundrum for Apple.

Small size does not equal cheapest price. They can manage that with the 13" MacBook Air.
But the 12" MacBook required a lot more miniaturization to save 50% weight compared to the Air. Therefore this cannot be cheaper than the 13" MacBook Air, sadly.

The 12" MacBook will never be the budget laptop, you think it should be. That will always be the 13" MacBook Air.

Unless Apple dumbs it down so much, that the 12" MacBook becomes useless... Like with 64GB storage and 4GB RAM.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
I do really like my 2017 "m7", performance is more than I really need, never cared much about having more ports, battery life is still more than enough and the KBD hasn't crapped out yet (fingers crosssed) so.....

My idea/dream:

- MBP will come in 14 and 16"
- make a colorful MB/MBA with that same 14" display as seen in the leaked designs
- make a MB/MBA just wide enough for a full size KBD with smaller bezels ( 12.whatever")
- for all it's worth that 12" might even be downgraded to some sort of M2-x (lets say 2/2/4 instead of 4/4/8 cores) to make it work.

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
Maybe if the iPad could run Mac OS.

Only if the iPad could run macOS!

iPadOS is terrible in comparison to macOS. So many limitations, and for every tiny thing you want to do you need to buy and use yet another app, as if every macOS menu item becomes its own little app. Also the UI is very unintuitive in many places. iPadOS really needs a lot more love from Apple to become "a real computer OS".
iPads might work for some applications if those apps are all you usually use, but on the whole even the iPad Pro is mostly a toy in comparison.

Reactions: Z3man

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Only if the iPad could run macOS!

iPadOS is terrible in comparison to macOS. So many limitations, and for every tiny thing you want to do you need to buy and use yet another app, as if every macOS menu item becomes its own little app. Also the UI is very unintuitive in many places. iPadOS really needs a lot more love from Apple to become "a real computer OS".
iPads might work for some applications if those apps are all you usually use, but on the whole even the iPad Pro is mostly a toy in comparison.
It would still be a maybe. Necessary but not necessarily sufficient.

Even using something as straightforward as Excel without a keyboard is a beat down and with a keyboard you’re in laptop range on price and portability, so why?

The iPad is pretty good for consuming information. It’s rather less good for creating it. An actual computer needs to do both.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I got a survey asking for details about the M1 Air I just bought -- what I liked, what I didn't, what my experience was like and what I'd wish for if I could change anything.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I'd love to see a 12" MacBook with Apple Silicon, 2 ports and ? MagSafe. My own 1st Gen 2015 12" rMB has had some issues over the years; faster than expected battery depletion (hot Intel CPU), KB jammed a few times (blew out the dust) & polished up fast, display delamination & loose USB C port. That said the formfactor was perfect for a business portable.

A new 12" with M1 etc, good & reliable keyboard and other issues rectified would be a very strong buy for me, more so than the Air. I bought the 512 model, very far from a powerhouse yet it paid for itself hundred's fold. Still runs on 11.5.1, but not aged well as the Intel CPU M5 struggles with load & temp. People knock the 12" Retina MacBook, yet for the right needs they were a killer solution. I know, as I used one in anger ?

Q-6

Last edited:

XXPP

Suspended
Jun 30, 2019
:Alternatively, Apple may feel there's no need for a 12-inch MacBook given its current 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro offerings with an added Magic Keyboard accessory.:

Nope. I have 12" MB and never change it to iPad. iPad is too heavy and there is no software.

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I have a 12" Macbook. The size and weight are great. But I would want:

1. A smaller screen option. As small as Apple has the courage to make it.
2. A 360 hinge and touchscreen. I know, fat chance.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
1. A smaller screen option. As small as Apple has the courage to make it.

The 12" is the size it is because Apple insisted on the KBD having normal size keycaps/spacing so no chance it will get smaller (even the 11" Air wasn't smaller it just had bigger bezels).

Reactions: Dreamail

Queen6

macrumors G4
Make it so.

If you had ever held one, you would understand.

28664-45072-1322-MacBook-Air-vs-1222-MacBook-thinnest-comparison-l.jpg
Very true :) Was in an informal meeting; one by one everybody closed their notebooks, mate of mine was one of the VP's laughingly said that Mac ever run out of battery, I said rarely. Beauty of consulting no HP or Dell corporate specials. 12" rMB was genuinely good when it was good, however poorly marketed by Apple and problematic for some due to the wrong expectation being set.

TBH Apple were too ambitious/aggressive in 2015, equally I think that with M1 the timing is perfect for the return of the 12" MacBook. As the man said "If you had ever held one, you would understand"...

Q-6

Reactions: bobob and Dreamail

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
My 12" was my second favorite Mac ever, behind my iMac G4. I loved the size/weight/portability. And it worked well-enough for me for a long time for freelance graphic design work.
I like how yow put this: size/weight/portability

It’s all three. 2 lbs vs 2.8 lbs is a big difference. If you look at dimensions, you might think it’s just a little smaller. I worked out the numbers for area (depth x width).

MacBook Air 759 cm^2
MacBook Air M1 630 cm^2
MacBook 549 cm^2

The MacBook is something you can put in a large purse a lot easier than the original MacBook Air.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Fingers crossed that this results in another ultra-portable MacBook. I had a 2015 and a 2017 Model. The 2015 died two weeks ago and I just picked up another 2017 to replace it.

For some people, they really are the perfect computers. And I have zero issues with the speed/usability. They are defintiely starting to show their age, but still work really well. Amazing for how compact these computers are.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Given what MacBook Air is today, and how relatively “niche” super portable MacBook is, it makes sense for Apple to make a survey about it and consider either going for MacBook Air lineup as-is or building a new one. Dunno if the old mould is still useable.

Also, mass production drives the cost down. Apple clearly needs to manufacture enough to maintain a price point. It is no secret that Apple devices are notoriously expensive, but selling a M2 12” MacBook with 16GB of RAM and 256GB base storage at $5000 price tag ain’t gonna cut it either.

Me definitely need more ports, so MBP is the way to go, but I do love the extreme portability of MacBook Air 11”, one of my favourite, despite being too slow to run any macOS that is not a clean fresh install. Surprisingly enough, current 13” MBP isn’t too much bigger than 11” MacBook Air in terms of form factor. Screen bezel shrinking has gone a long way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.