Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luke lau

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
As you may or may not know, the build of webkit that was included with Safari 9 supports the -apple-system value for the font property. What this basically does is uses the default system font of whatever OS version the user is running on (both iOS and OS X), so for example if the user was running Yosemite/iOS 8 they would get Helvetica Neue and if they had El Capitan/iOS 9 they would get San Francisco.

What's nice about this is that it doesn't require any external fonts to be downloaded and there are a bunch of other font properties that can be used to support the dynamic type settings on the users system.

I tried using the -apple-system font on the forums themselves and it doesn't look half bad at all:
screen-shot-2015-08-08-at-22-00-57-png.574032

It would cause a fair bit of fragmentation between different OS versions but then again I'm kinda sick of Verdana

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 22.00.57.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 22.00.57.png
    286.7 KB · Views: 498
Reactions: redheeler

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Ya, it's not bad. Can you post a screenshot of a thread?

We stuck with verdana because people are used to it on the site, and we wanted to keep a common thread between designs.

arn

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
As you may or may not know, the build of webkit that was included with Safari 9 supports the -apple-system value for the font property. What this basically does is uses the default system font of whatever OS version the user is running on (both iOS and OS X), so for example if the user was running Yosemite/iOS 8 they would get Helvetica Neue and if they had El Capitan/iOS 9 they would get San Francisco.

What's nice about this is that it doesn't require any external fonts to be downloaded and there are a bunch of other font properties that can be used to support the dynamic type settings on the users system.

I tried using the -apple-system font on the forums themselves and it doesn't look half bad at all:
screen-shot-2015-08-08-at-22-00-57-png.574032

It would cause a fair bit of fragmentation between different OS versions but then again I'm kinda sick of Verdana
I'm using Safari 8 on Yosemite, so it's required a bit more work to implement, but worth it in the little while I've used San Francisco on here :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.