Apple Tablet Coming in 2010?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 21, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Silicon Alley Insider reports on a note from Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster claiming that Apple's rumored "media pad" or tablet computer will not arrive until sometime in the first half of 2010. Munster also claims that the device will be more dramatically different from the iPhone and competing netbooks than most analysts and investors are expecting. The complexity of the operating system, reported to be a hybrid between the iPhone OS and full-blown Mac OS X, is apparently the primary factor holding up release of the device.
    AppleInsider provides additional detail on Munster's report, revealing that the tablet is expected to be priced in the $500-$700 range and thus bridging the gap between the iPod touch and the entry level MacBook. The tablet would utilize a display somewhere between 7- and 10-inches and would be well differentiated from existing netbook offerings, which Apple has repeatedly said it has no interest in duplicating due to the poor user experience such devices offer.
    Article Link: Apple Tablet Coming in 2010?

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Introducing iProcrastinate, the new product release scheduling application by Apple.
    Coming soon. iPromise.

3. linuxophile macrumors regular

4. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i was hoping for something like this at wwdc, but better late than never i guess

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

This is a product that i'd like to know officially is coming.... otherwise, i'll be spending money elsewhere.

7. kolax macrumors G3

Apple Tablet .. one of the longest running rumours.

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Doesn't someone here have an iPhone app called iProcrasinate?

Would be interesting to see how accurate this tablet screen would be, and maybe have some basic pressure sensitivity.

9. dizzy13 macrumors 6502

I think I'll stick with my iPhone and 13" MacBook, but I can see how this would work for some people.

10. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I tell you this is going to continue until the day Apple finally gives in and makes something that can remotely be labelled as a tablet! Jeez..

And this makes Front Page. Wow! And that too some crap from Analysts who do nothing but grumble!!

11. sterlingindigo macrumors 6502

sterlingindigo

Not sure about a tablet...really. Or even a combination tablet/netbook. Large iPod? :( Hoping this one is not true.

On a positive note, Apple seems to be able to do now wrong when a product actually comes out so I will just wait and see on this one.

12. HudsonsHalfHour macrumors member

7" makes more sense than the previously rumored 10" tablet, given that it will be a touch screen keyboard, it would have been hard to hold up something of that size and type. something so big would have to be rested on a surface and the user experienece would suffer. i can see people holding the 7" itablet with one hand and typing on it with the other

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Didn't Apple purchase a large number of 10.4 inch LCD screens?

14. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Figures somebody beat me to it.

15. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

no way $500-700. more like $1000. This is Apple, anything that they think is "innovative" will always be released at a ridiculous price. look at the iphone and macbook air.

16. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Holy crap. My wallet just jumped out of my pocket with my credit card sticking out.

17. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

2010 is so long, good Munster is nearly always wrong!

18. Ori macrumors 6502

Off topic

Don't know where to post this, but why is Macrumors allowed a scam advert on its home page. (the miami gazette scam linking to google scam)

On topic. Love the idea of a proper touch screen tablet. If Apple get it right it could be amazing.

19. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I think I now know what I'm going to invest in next year. :)

20. ipoppy macrumors 6502

Thats what I thought. I think WWDC will be more interesting this year than usually. But I think it might be too early for this. One way or another that will be similar to iPhone in terms of popularity.
    Saving another $700 ;)

21. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

Hasn't this been rumored for years?

Don't believe it.

Sorry!

22. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

They were touchscreens if I recall.

23. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I'm not sure about the validity of the old rumor about a large order of iPodish 10" screen for summer 2009...

But, assuming that rumor is true, I doubt Apple is going to sit on that technology for 9 months before releasing a product. If they do, I would be shocked and amazed.

As for the rest of the rumor, it makes sense. The bastardization of OS to fit such a device would streamline everything for more limited processing power but might allow bigger apps to run.

The rumors make this device silky. Can't wait to see what Apple reveals. Why do I feel as if they won't reveal anything, ever?

24. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Ugh. Does anyone else have "rumor fatigue" re an Apple Tablet.
    I'm just tired of hearing about it.