Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite conflicting reports, we have reason to believe that the upcoming Apple Tablet will indeed carry a front facing video camera as recently described in the Wall Street Journal:
This person said Apple has experimented with the ability ... for the gadget to automatically recognize individuals via a built-in camera.
While the presence of a front facing camera could allow for this novel use of facial recognition, it would also open up the possibility for video conferencing, which has been a long requested feature for the iPhone. Apple already supports video conferencing with their Mac OS X iChat software, so the ability to tie in video conferencing with their existing technology would be trivial.

The focus of the tablet rumors has been on content deals and multi-touch, though a camera could introduce other interesting features.

Article Link: Apple Tablet Likely to Include Front Facing Camera?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERD79) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Not long now until we find out! :)

Leoff

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
Now this is just getting rediculous. Where's the laser beam and 2-slice toaster?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If it doesn't, it'll be slammed by the press.

Facial recognition sounds interesting.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Facial recognition is cool. I'm sure some people would also want rear facing camera, too so they can take pictures/movies with it. Though I'm also sure there are people think that's the most idiotic thing they've ever heard.

One thing that would be interesting (not necessarily good or bad, just interesting): fingerprint scanner. Would help making things more secure.

Also, would be nice to have an SD card reader, too. Just thinking out loud.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
This will only be used for iMirror, the new addition to iLife. you can use it to be sure your teeth don't have food stuck in them, hair looks fine, make-up on right.

Other developers will no doubt use this for other things though.

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
i see this in itablet 2.0 not 1.0

I agree. I mean it makes sense to include it but....much like cut and paste, Apple will want users to clamour for it en masse first. Only then will they deign to offer us version 2.0 - which we (including me) will gladly pay for.

Being a geek is not very cost effective. My wife often told me that. I often replied "yes, but smoking crack is more costly."

We're divorced now.

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
I am reminded of the Apple patent filing from a while back referring to camera-like sensors hidden/embedded in the pixels of a screen. I'm not sure how far along they got with this tech, but this would seem to be very useful for a tablet.

Video conferencing, facial recognition, and maybe even input via swiping/finger movements (as opposed to or in addition to actual touching). Maybe that is the "surprising/unexpected way to interact" that has been rumored.

reu214

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Of course it will!

Let's face it, almost every lead product has a camera on it. Even the exclusion of the camera on the iTouch was a last minute decision and we all know it will have one with the next update.

It wouldn't make any since to not have a camera on the iPad/slate/Tablet if it is indeed a web/entertainment device.

Here is my prediction; the tablet will have a front facing camera (At least the full size Tablet.) And the iPhone 4th generation will follow suite to make the line more cohesive.

nickgwyn

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
huh

The last paragraph of this article suffers from Writer's-Awareness-That-Links-Can-Direct-Readers-To-Existing-Content-But-Lacking-Awareness-Regarding-The-Annoyance-Of-Not-Having-All-Relevant-Information-In-The-Post.

Otherwise, keep it up, arn!

crash8130

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
Facial recognition is cool. I'm sure some people would also want rear facing camera, too so they can take pictures/movies with it. Though I'm also sure there are people think that's the most idiotic thing they've ever heard.

One thing that would be interesting (not necessarily good or bad, just interesting): fingerprint scanner. Would help making things more secure.

Also, would be nice to have an SD card reader, too. Just thinking out loud.

SD card for the Photographers would be great! *wishes, crosses fingers, looks for weather reports of cold fronts in hell.

I also wish they would stop going, "We have reason to believe" If you can't say the source I would rather not hear it. This brought nothing new to the table at all.

bmaltais

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Found this new potential picture of the iPad and it would certainly fit the "has a camera" rumor. It appear to have a top and bottom "button" (home button and possible camera).

http://netputing.com/2010/01/21/possible-picture-of-apple-ipad/

Prototype352.jpeg

Might be an old picture, I have not seen them all but it look like a real thing... or a really good fake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.