• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Barron's chimes in (subscription required) with its contribution to recent Apple tablet rumors, claiming to have spoken with an unnamed "veteran analyst" who has seen firsthand a prototype of the forthcoming device. Unfortunately, the source provides little detail on the device other than to note that it will excel at displaying video content.
The machine impresses with its display of hi-def video content, says the veteran analyst, who asked not to be identified. "It's better than the average movie experience, when you hold this thing in your hands."
The source also notes that anticipation for an announcement regarding the device in the near future is so high that competing tablet manufacturers are holding off on new designs until they are able to see what Apple has to offer.
"It's close enough now to a final design that in Asia, there's no other product in the waiting room or in the bullpen," said the analyst. "There are dozens of ODMs [original device makers] making products for Lenovo and other PC makers that are all waiting to see what the Apple product is."
Barron's also cites a second source who confirms that news of the Apple tablet "is all over the supply chain in Asia."

As for details of the new device, the report seems to summarize many of the current rumors floating around, citing a possible $699-$799 price point and suggesting a September announcement and a November launch. A number of recent reports have pointed to a launch late this year, possibly as early as September alongside enhanced iTunes album offerings, although other reports have claimed that the device will not appear until early 2010.

Article Link: Apple Tablet Seen by Analyst While Competitors Hold Off to Wait for Details?

hyroboarder

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006
How does an analyst get to come in contact with one of these things? I say bs, but I still think that it will be announced next month.

Comment

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
To quote all the fanbois when they heard about Zune HD:

"HD on a screen that small?"

Comment

omikjam

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
Sounds ridiculously expensive, especially since I know that $699 will most likely be $970 in my country. but I guess most tablets cost that much or more.

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
This is either going to be really, really, REALLY good at movies, or do a lot more than people are saying, if I'm going to drop $800 on it.

I'll reserve any further comment until I see it.

Comment

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Well, it certainly perks my interest into seeing what they're going to do. Funny how other companies wait to see what Apple will release (so they can try to quickly release their own rip-off version to compete :D)

Comment

mthomes

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2007
Tablet....!?

Please stop the tablet rumors! It's been how many years coming? It's never comes.

Comment

serpico

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I know it's typical Apple for a price that high, but until I see this device, I say that's still to much to pay. The iTouch top model was $500 when it came out too so the price will come down of course as time passes. If it's all that and a bag of doritos, I'm sure I'll pick one up one day used or new instead of a netbook.

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Uh oh, more iTablet whisperings. Unleash the naysayers, the Apple haters and the astroturfers!

Comment

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
How does an analyst get to come in contact with one of these things? I say bs, but I still think that it will be announced next month.

An analyst is the first person in taking a look at the project even before the first prototype is build.

I believe this tablet has a great market, you will see.

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Attachments

• stevetablet.jpg
    stevetablet.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 313
Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
An analyst is the first person in taking a look at the project even before the first prototype is build.

I believe this tablet has a great market, you will see.

The analyst in question is a market analyst that doesn't work for Apple, not a business analyst.

Comment

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I know it's typical Apple for a price that high, but until I see this device, I say that's still to much to pay. The iTouch top model was $500 when it came out too so the price will come down of course as time passes. If it's all that and a bag of doritos, I'm sure I'll pick one up one day used or new instead of a netbook.

Most Apple products don't come down in price like the iPod touch or iPhone did. (although the iPhone appears to be cheaper now due to carrier subsidies)

Comment

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
im waiting for news from either Gruber or Rose to get solid confirmation. I also expect some leaked photos weeks, if not months, before release.

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Sounds ridiculously expensive, especially since I know that $699 will most likely be $970 in my country. but I guess most tablets cost that much or more.

for Honda Odyssey pricing a DVD system from the dealer will cost you $2000 and another $2000 or so for a navigation. Or you can buy one of these tablets and not have to worry about scratching up your DVD's when you travel or buying the stupid travel games for the kids. or singing stupid songs your kids don't like. and you can take it into your hotel room to keep the kids busy while you're getting busy with your spouse

Comment

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
Interesting concept, but if it's going to be dedicated to simply HD movies and video playback, it seems a bit weak for the $800 benchmark. It becomes so much more of a toy than an actual viable tablet that I would consider using.

Waiting on actual spec notes, then I'll decide on whether or not the Tablet is worth getting. Or rather, in existence.

Comment

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
B.S.

Like Apple is going to show an analyst anything before launch. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Comment

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
Price

Beyond the uber-fans, I can't see such a thing being a big seller at $700-$800! Good grief...I could almost buy 3 iPod Touches for that. Add $49 and you can get you a "real" laptop from the refurbished area of Apple's site.

I could see anywhere up to $499 being very tempting for those who want that entertainment all-in-one...ebook reader, movie player, music device, internet device. Beyond $500 I would think people would start looking for full laptop capabilities.

Don't get me wrong, there's enough Apple fanboys to support such a thing for the first 4-6 months...and perhaps that would be long enough to get the price down a few hundred.

Comment

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
I was thinking to buy Macbook Air but now I will wait to see what that tablet going to be like. I guess similar experience but only touch.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.