Apple Tablet Speculation Continuing to Gain Attention

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNNMoney.com today reports on the continued hype over Apple's much-rumored tablet computer, citing the multitude of different speculative reports of the device's specs to attempt to paint a picture what users can expect when it is finally announced.
If the rumors are true, the tablet will be able to do basically everything a gadget could possibly do. It's an e-reader, a gaming device, and a music player. You can watch TV and movies on it and surf the Internet (or so we've heard). And it will have thousands of third-party apps available for it ... or maybe it will run Mac OS X. That's all still unknown.
The report reiterates a number of rumors that have been circulating in recent months, including a price point ranging from $600 to $1000, multiple models with and without 3G connectivity, and integrated webcam.

Many Apple fans are eagerly anticipating the device, wondering exactly how Apple is aiming to remake the tablet and netbook market segments in much the same way the iPod and iPhone found novel ways to bring new dimensions to the music player and smartphone device categories.
"The Tablet will be awesome, and my guess is that it will be an instant hit for people who loved Kindles and people who want netbooks," said David Wertheimer, executive director of Carnegie Mellon's Entertainment Technology Center.

Wertheimer said he finds it hard to comprehend how the tablet will replace all other on-the-go tech products. "But then again, what I can't imagine, Steve Jobs often can," he added.
Others are not so sanguine about the prospects of an Apple tablet being able to serve as an all-in-one device capable of replacing users' computers, media players, and e-Book readers.
"What we've found in the past with these multi-function devices is that they're better for ad-hoc purposes, like quick and dirty tasks," said Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with Yankee Group. "They're not for any prolonged, high-performance use."
While Apple remains as tight-lipped as always about its tablet plans, consumers and industry experts alike are left speculating on just what Steve Jobs and Apple have up their collective sleeve. If rumors are to believed, however, Apple may finally be ready to show its hand early next year, and the market will then decide how well the device achieves Apple's goals and measures up to expectations.

Article Link: Apple Tablet Speculation Continuing to Gain Attention

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
$700 or less or bust.

Also, very very few people who already have iPhone will sign up to yet another contract. Maybe if the tablet could tether via. bluetooth to your iPhone that'd be sweet.

Oh and a seriously discounted educational version would go down very very well, I'm just waiting for this to replace all my textbooks as a medical student.

Comment

sxdev

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
It will be Mac OS X

Maybe with Touch features and many restrictions but Apple won't give up the opp to get a lot of new full-Mac OS X developers.

Comment

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Real or not, the rumors sites and everyone else are going to literally will this thing into existence.

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
I think this would have to be priced in the $350 range or it will flop. No matter how cool it will be...

Comment

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I can imagine 3G being optional, and I can also imagine there being units with different HDD (SSD) capacities, but I would be surprised if something like a webcam is optional. It's either going to be there or not. $600-1000 doesn't seem like an unreasonable price range to me, but that entire price difference could be potentially be explained by the size of the SSD.

Comment

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Full OS X or bust!

None of this weak as water mobile OS stuff.

I want to collect images on mine
I want to give ppt presentations with it
I want a hierarchical file structure that I can control
I want to install application on it that have not passed the "Apple Gods" crazy rules that stifle innovation

I want it to be OS X.

Comment

TB Apple

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
Bellmore, NY
Notebook Replacement

The killer feature would be a seamlessly integrated keyboard dock. Think of it as a removable touchscreen for the the current Macbook.

With that kind of ability, the $700 - $1000 price point is acceptable.

Comment

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
CNN said:
If the rumors are true, the tablet will be able to do basically everything a gadget could possibly do
rumors based on rumors, it must be true then.

Comment

GregND

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2002
Dreams do come true?

I have been dreaming about a device that would allow me to present Keynote presentations from. I also want a device that will allow me to take written notes with a stylus so that I can draw. Perfect for those science conferences.

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
So if the Tablet is true, then it will either run OS X, or a new OS. Either way, all those Apps in the App Store won't be compatible with it due to its larger screen right? Or maybe it could enlarge the apps somehow... But if it will have its own App Store, then we're going to have to wait a year to have lots of useful apps again, so that seems like a bit weird...

I think that the best would be if it ran full OS X, or at least a modified version of OS X (to adapt to the touch-based controls), that would be compatible with mostly everything that the full OS X is compatible with... But isn't it kinda lame to have to hold a large screen in your hand while using it? I mean an iPhone is small, and a laptop folds in half so you don't have to hold it or prop it up against something... But I can't imagine using a larger screen without the keyboard part holding it at the right angle...

Comment

Bonte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Speculation and rumors point to a wide range of models, my bet is that Apple will flood all tablet segments. From a big $400 big ipod to a $1000 laptop replacement running the regular osX.

At the moment all this feels like a iPhone Déjà vu.

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
This really is starting to look like an echo chamber... Can Arn or somebody comment on how many of these rumors are coming from independent and reliable sources? Analysts and web sites are most likely just parroting what they've read here. I'm not sure I even consider CNN a reliable source these days...

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Can this mythical device possibly live up to all the rumor and innuendo?

The iPhone managed to - but will lightning strike twice?

P.S. I'd love to see the Newton name on this thing, if and when it actually appears. Time to drop the iStuff naming convention.

Comment

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Real or not, the rumors sites and everyone else are going to literally will this thing into existence.
Totally "lol'ed" at this. I bet you're right. I can hear Steve say "Well we didn't want to but..."

Let it be the one device to bring them all together.

Comment

Elzlaik

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
I think this would have to be priced in the $350 range or it will flop. No matter how cool it will be...
I wish people would stop saying "It better be cheaper than (insert ridiculous price here)." An iPhone costs more than $350. At the lowest I expect this to be $999 and it will probably get you a slightly upgraded version of the iPhone OS. Personally, I want this let me to install whatever programs I want and to be like a MacBook Air but without the keyboard, running a (nearly) full Snow Leopard. I would be willing to pay the full Air price for this, but realize I must be in the minority as everyone else seems intent on purchasing this Slate with pocket change.

Comment

topmounter

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Originally Posted by CNN said:
If the rumors are true, the tablet will be able to do basically everything a gadget could possibly do

If that rumored rumor is true, then it will be capable of taking your temperature... rectally! :eek:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.