Apple Takes Risk By Telling Chinese Chat Apps to Disable 'Tip' Functions

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 18, 2017.

1. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Indeed. Another "Apple Innovation" in how far will they bend? :apple:

2. nnoble macrumors 6502

China doesn't follow rules unless it suits China. WTO can't enforce rules, agreements are followed only if it suits and ignored if otherwise. Contracts are 'guidelines'. So Apple, have you got the guts to follow through unlike others? And if you DO follow through, watch out for the state driven or state media backed backlash that will result in iPhones sales taking another hit. Wechat developers (Tencent?) and the state are close.

3. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

But you can do that already with many other (banking) apps. I use Chase app to pay friends, family, companies. There's nothing stopping me from paying app creators either. And it won't lead developers towards that payment method as they'll soon realize that once people download an app for free, many won't go back to tip.

4. ChrisCW11 macrumors 65816

When it comes to China, US companies need to better understand the culture and not apply a one solution fits all to that culture. If Apple wants to continue to gain success in the Chinese market they have to stop trying to treat this market like every other market and force the same rules to them. In this case I think Apple is not going to win in the long run trying to change or gain profit from something that seems to be a Chinese only culture detail.

If you want to succeed in China, just give in and accept they have differences that just can't be aligned to the rest of the world. If you don't like it, then pull your product out of China, period, but the revenue lost by Apple pissing of Chinese consumers is far greater then the revenue lost trying to get 30% of all money exchanged from this app.

All the Chinese government has to do is consider this is a banking transaction and this will force Apple to reconsider because there is no ****ing way a Western banking institution would tolerate Apple getting their greedy hands on part of an eTransfer facilitated through their mobile services, only the bank will get their grubby hands on that transaction.

5. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

Seriously. Apple's ecosystem is feeling more like Apple's turf/territory. They think they're the mafia and if you have something on their platform you owe them a cut!

6. kup1986 macrumors member

To me, this is a slippery slope. We use the Cash app by Square to transfer money to each other all the time. Is Apple going to start taking 30% when I deposit funds into my square app?

7. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

Fair is fair. Apple has consistently insisted on getting their 30% vig for all digital purchases done through an app. They don't apply that to physical purchases or inter-bank money transfers. That is why I can purchase physical goods all day long through the Amazon app but I can't purchase an ebook. To avoid the vig Amazon has disabled digital in-app purchases and forced customers to go through the website. They can't even link to the website through the app. Microsoft used to do the same thing. At on time they had a button in their Office apps that would open a browser window to facilitate the purchase and Apple made them take it out. It doesn't matter if the charge goes through a user's Apple account or through an outside system, if the purchase is initiated anywhere in the app Apple wants its cut.

If the "tip" is for good service for a digital product then Apple should consistently apply their rules to which they subject other vendors and charge the 30% assessment. The tip button was an exploit by the developer to get around Apple's rules.

8. grad macrumors regular

Just yet another reason not to buy an iPhone or iPad in China.

9. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

You are absolutely right in what you say, but you are misunderstanding the situation.

It's not about tips for the App developer. It's about Apps that provide you with a way to sent tips to other people.

Example:
    You are enjoying free content of an amateur artist. You want to support his work so you visit his profile on WeChat and give him a tip.

Should Apple take 30% of that? I don't think so.

10. avanpelt macrumors 68030

This move is pure greed. I hope it comes back to bite Tim in the ass big time.

11. wankey macrumors 6502a

Tim Cook you f'ed up. Chinese people don't care what phone they use as long as they can use wechat.

More reason for Chinese people to go patriotic and buy Huawei, XiaoMi and countless other homebred phones that don't do this asinine ****. Apple is really losing on the China front and big time.

12. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Neither are these "tips" button - it's moving virtual currency on the back end.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, maybe 20 years ago.

13. AnAppleADayIsExpensive macrumors newbie

Shh. Apple will want to start taking 30% when I pay bills or transfer funds via my banking App.

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

15. Larry-Bloom macrumors member

16. drewyboy macrumors 65816

If this isn't a prime example of why their blanket 30% cut is ridiculous, I don't know what is.

17. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Correct me if I am wrong, but Apple gets a cut of any ad-derived revenue from apps, right?

I suppose we could argue until the cows come home about just how big a cut Apple deserves, but I suspect that from Apple's perspective, tipping represents a way of circumventing its existing IAP rules. I don't think this is about raising revenue; it's simple Apple enforcing what they believe are app-store rules which developers are contractually bound to adhere to.

18. drewyboy macrumors 65816

So what's apple going to do with Zelle? With over 19 of the top banks in America partnering together. It's no longer inter-bank transfers. Are they going to take 30% there? Absolutely not. If they were, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one dropping apple in a heartbeat.

19. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

20. Larry-Bloom macrumors member

I wounder how this will effect the upcoming new Super chat feature of YouTube coming out where you can respond with $$$ to get your message promoted or to trigger events

21. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

china has nothing native and original to offer.

22. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Ignorant comment. I shouldn't be surprised by that on macrumors.

23. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

Who does Apple think they are, the government?

24. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Remember this 30% cut when you donate to charity through Apple next time.

25. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Really. i'm not naive. Success is earned, not handed to you.