Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Saw this form another article in the comments:

"For those wondering, from the external blog post there are two scripts written to disk that should indicate if you have it, the locations are:

/tmp/agent.sh and ~/Library/Application Support/verx_updater/verx.sh"

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Stay away from torrent sites ?

Don’t install pirate apps ?

Stay away from illegal streaming sites ?

Stay away from crypto sites and crypto apps ?

Always remember that open source apps on GitHub doesn’t mean they are malware free if all the devs are in on it ?

Don’t click on shortened URLs sent or posted by anon accounts on social media ?

Don’t install more apps than you really need ?

Only use signed apps from well known developers ?

Delete Facebook ?

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
If Apple really had automated detection and scanning, how did it manage to infect so many machines?

Probably because there's no malicious payload? " Apple also reiterated that Red Canary found no evidence to suggest the malware has delivered a malicious payload to Macs that have already been infected."

Also, it would be unrealistic to expect an automated scanner to detect all infections.

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
I agree. Windows defender isn't great, but at least it's something. Some sort of basic built in scanner would be a nice feature.
Apple already has active scanning. But there will always be something new to get around whatever security was in place. I remind myself no system is 100% secure. It's nearly impossible to engineer something that can't be infected if it is talking on a network. It's the same reason humans still get colds.

Reactions: sgtaylor5

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Developer certificates…

“Since February 2020, for example, Apple has required all Mac software distributed with a Developer ID outside of the Mac App Store to be submitted to Apple's notary service, an automated system that scans for malicious content and code-signing issues.”

It seems Apples 3rd party s/w vetting and release system and its processes are ripe for rethinking.

Apple searched for "malicious content" and didn't find any. Because there wasn't actually any.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Saw this form another article in the comments:

"For those wondering, from the external blog post there are two scripts written to disk that should indicate if you have it, the locations are:

/tmp/agent.sh and ~/Library/Application Support/verx_updater/verx.sh"
So if I dont have these two files, that means my Macs are clean right? gosh, we have to deal with Covid-19 out there and Sparrow virus inside our Macs. what a world!@#$

mdw1

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2015
Malwarebytes makes a free downloadable scanner. If you are worried, download and run that.

AS FAR AS I KNOW the above recommend "Clean my Mac" IS MALWARE.
No it's not been using it for many many years, maybe you should check it out before making such a statement......

DanTheMan827

macrumors regular
May 9, 2012
Developer certificates…

“Since February 2020, for example, Apple has required all Mac software distributed with a Developer ID outside of the Mac App Store to be submitted to Apple's notary service, an automated system that scans for malicious content and code-signing issues.”

It seems Apples 3rd party s/w vetting and release system and its processes are ripe for rethinking.
No, the notarization process worked as intended.

It's an automated process that scans apps for known signatures and automatically rejects, but just because it didn't detect an unknown one doesn't mean it failed, Apple was still able to revoke the certificates and that prevents the malware from running.

DanTheMan827

macrumors regular
May 9, 2012
This is going to end up the same way as all DRM - inconveniencing genuine users whilst bad guys find ways around it.

If Apple really had automated detection and scanning, how did it manage to infect so many machines?
Because the signature wasn't known

You could say the same about every piece of anti-virus software out there that fails to detect new stuff, but the difference here is that the ability to prevent execution of the malware is baked into the OS.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Something tells me that the issue, deep down, is not solved. Yeah, Apple has revoqued the certificate, so then what? Can this happen again? I’d say yes...
Do we even know how this was able to infect over 30,000 M1 Macs?
>Was it user error?
>Was it preinstalled from China?
>Was it from an infected app on the app store?

Apple knows about it BUT what is Apple doing about it?

It is alarming such a virus spread so quickly after the release of the M1 chip.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
This malware wasn't a vulnerability in MacOS or software; you've got to actually install it purposely, no? In which case whilst it would have been improved by pulling the developer cert faster, this is still better than what you'll get on most OSes. I.E., put in your password, and you're screwed.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
OK in term ran "/tmp/agent.sh and ~/Library/Application Support/verx_updater/verx.sh" and it does not exist - whew

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.