Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
its quite possible the market has moved before Apple got out the door. This is going to be the realm of health and activity monitors, not replicating in limited fashion what your full size phone does.

Now, when it can be the phone as well as the H/A monitor call me.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Ballsy!
I don't think I could blatantly admit my failings as a parent to perfect strangers. Granted, as a single father... I've been blessed with a super well-behaved young man. He does enjoy his Apple gear, though his phones are always hand me down from pops, but his 4.0 GPA & 2100 SAT did earn him a tricked out Mac Mini this holiday.
However, if he EVER started exhibiting the embarrassing & despicable behavior you're describing... honestly, who could I blame but myself?? Children are a direct product of their environment. He sees me struggling to provide him with as much as I am able, and that he deserves... & has appropriate gratitude.
Good luck with yours in the future, though I suspect you'll receive better advice posting this sort of a thing on a parenting message board than here.

If you displayed a little less pride, condemnation, and a little more reading comprehension we would both be better off.;) You read my quote and created a narrative in your head that has absolutely nothing to do with my comment.:confused:

I will do you a favor and explain what my quote actually meant. I said she was mad. Kids get mad. Secret: yours does too. Horrible parent portion? Hyperbole on my behalf. How you take an inane quip about teenagers and turn it into a binary treatise on bad parent vs good parent; now that is ballsy.:eek: Turn off your inner monologue and try reading my quote again. Nothing in it comes close to your take.

And you're exactly right. If your kid exhibits the embarrassing and despicable behavior you displayed in your quote. You can blame no one but yourself. ;) Now if you'll excuse me, I must release the kid from the shackles in the basement... so I can beat her. :D:p

Apologies to all other forum members for going so far off topic.

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
You sound like a fine parent. Wtf is wrong with these people?
Btw the horse**** they serve at McD's ....

Number one, I'm not the one who bought up McDonald's as a lunch choice.
The other guy did. And number two, the McDonald's Corporation is run by some
fine folks who are doing thier darndest to make sure me & my family
are well taking care of by selling as much 100% USDA Grade "A" beef
and Idaho Russett potatoes as is possible in order to make the stock price viable.
Stock in which I am a proud participant of, mister!

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
This is my BROTHER's daughter.

You're right. I shoulda read more carefully. Apologies.

Anyways.... Get married, and have 3 kids and live on a budget.

I did. And we have one daughter: five.

You family earns, say, $1,000 a week. ($50,000 a year job).
After all the expenses or food/clothing/shelter/taxes/car payments/insurance/etc, you have maybe $1,000 spending money
for the entire MONTH for the entire FAMILY.
$100 is a LOT for ONE kid for 3 days, after you're already spending $200 for the 3-day trip.

Nothing against your brother, but if people would not have family
committments that are beyond thier means, then maybe they
wouldn't have these sort of fiduciary concerns. Just saying.

My wife & I plan carefully, to a fault, probably.
Before we even moved in together, we crunched numbers.
This was done throughtout the relationship/marriage/parenthood.
We would want nothing more to have another child or two!
By right now, we just can't swing it.
Who knows what the future will bring? I could hit a 9-figure lotto next week.

Why should the kid get Lobster & Steak when the family can't afford it? It's ridiculous.

OK, OK! If he can't afford it, he can't afford it. Whatever.
Alls I know is, there're foodstamp recipients eating steak & lobster.

I guess tell the other kids that they have to eat ramen noodles the rest of the month
so the one daughter can live like a queen for 3 days.

Nothing wrong with ramen.
If you doctor it up with a little of this & a little of that,
you can have quite the economical meal for just pennies a serving!

Meanwhile, can anyone answer my AppleWatch usability question?

Last edited:

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
If you displayed a little less pride, condemnation, and a little more reading comprehension we would both be better off.;) You read my quote and created a narrative in your head that has absolutely nothing to do with my comment.:confused:

I will do you a favor and explain what my quote actually meant. I said she was mad. Kids get mad. Secret: yours does too. Horrible parent portion? Hyperbole on my behalf. How you take an inane quip about teenagers and turn it into a binary treatise on bad parent vs good parent; now that is ballsy.:eek: Turn off your inner monologue and try reading my quote again. Nothing in it comes close to your take.

And you're exactly right. If your kid exhibits the embarrassing and despicable behavior you displayed in your quote. You can blame no one but yourself. ;) Now if you'll excuse me, I must release the kid from the shackles in the basement... so I can beat her. :D:p

Apologies to all other forum members for going so far off topic.

Apologies if I incorrectly read your post.
It sounded to me like you were saying that your daughter, whom you say does not work, has the VERY latest iPhone... as it is the only one that supports Apple Pay. (lucky girl!!!!) Then it sounded further that you were saying that, rather than being pleased, grateful, & satisfied with that... that she was throwing a bit of a fit over not ALSO getting the Apple Watch, in addition. It sounded like you were saying that you were being considered a bad parent by her for your stance.
If true, the reasonable conclusion would be that she's spoiled, out of touch, & entitled. It was further confusing as it seems that you DEFINITELY were making this point, if I understand the meaning of the phrase "first world problems, am I right?" At any rate... I guess I just don't get your sense of humor. If all of your story was made up- congrats on NOT having a kid that thinks lowly of you when you take a brief break from spoiling them. You may consider NOT telling anecdotes that point to the opposite of that, if that is not what you want others to believe.
Further... I guess you can chalk it up to me not having "reading comprehension", but I truly don't understand your tasteless joke about the shackles, basement, & beatings either. In my opinion- if any conclusion can be drawn from what you've said it is that you've heavily enabled your child in this attitude, NOT that you're abusive. Precisely the opposite... so that one went over my head.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
It's amusing to hear the number of comments from people who are already completely sure the Apple Watch is ugly, of no use to them or anybody else, when they've never actually seen one, or held one in their hands, let alone, used one.

Isn't it equally amusing to hear the number of comments from people who are saying "shut up and take my money", when they've never actually seen one, or held one in their hands, let alone, used one? ;)

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
I'll wait for gen 2

----------

Isn't it equally amusing to hear the number of comments from people who are saying "shut up and take my money", when they've never actually seen one, or held one in their hands, let alone, used one? ;)

It's got an apple on it, that's all it needs for them to buy.

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I see first generation as limited to the enthusiast, 2nd generation to a wider audience, with enhanced features, and 3rd generation to really be a necessary item.

It seems to be the way of things.

Which is why I usually buy the 1st and 3rd generations. The iPad was an exception to my usual rule in that I bought the first, second and iPad Air.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
its quite possible the market has moved before Apple got out the door. This is going to be the realm of health and activity monitors, not replicating in limited fashion what your full size phone does.

Now, when it can be the phone as well as the H/A monitor call me.

Right... Like Apple was late to the mp3 player market in 2001... Or the Smartphone market in 2007 or ... Well, they are ALWAYS "late.

Funny, none of the other stuff sells in appreciable numbers. So, how are they late?

----------

I'll add one more to that list if I may: by announcing when they did they dropped a small tactical nuke on the rest of the wearables industry for the Christmas shopping season. Even thought the Apple Watch wouldn't be out until 2015 just the knowledge that Apple were entering the market was enough to make a lot of people postpone purchases. Basically they had nothing to lose by announcing ahead of time, avoided any possible leaks of the final design once production started and it fit the narrative for that event of this being Tim's Apple.

Yes, they took the IBM and Intel playbook from the 1980s and 1990s. Announce in advance to kill the sales of the competition. Bravo for being the "evil empire" now Apple ;-).

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Number one, I'm not the one who bought up McDonald's as a lunch choice.
The other guy did. And number two, the McDonald's Corporation is run by some
fine folks who are doing thier darndest to make sure me & my family
are well taking care of by selling as much 100% USDA Grade "A" beef
and Idaho Russett potatoes as is possible in order to make the stock price viable.
Stock in which I am a proud participant of, mister!

Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to make that McD rant seem directed at you. It was just general.

----------

apple uses stainless steel for their price tags?

Damn you Ive!!!!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

Nearly, but you'd think people who predict the certain failure of an Apple product they've never even seen would get kind tired of being wrong.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Those that are saying "it's just an extension of the phone" and "it doesn't do anything useful" remind me of the same type of statements before the iPod was released - "it's just an mp3 player".

Supermule

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Most people don't windsurf, sail, or surf. Runners (I'm one) and cyclers don't need a waterproof watch -- something that can withstand pressure of being submerged. (My running watch is water proof to 50m, but I'll never use that feature since I don't run underwater). Water resistant is good enough. So while, waterproof is a must for you, its a gimmick for everyone else. I consider a feature a gimmick if it doesn't enhance functionality and it's just there to be a marketing line.

OTOH, I like the idea of having a mirror and remote to my iPhone on my wrist, just as I like not having to dig for my car keys to open the door or trunk when my hands are full. It's about efficiency and convenience. I and others paid $500 for that feature, and that's just one feature, unlike the multitude of tasks a smart watch can do.

If I can glance at my wrist to read a text while in the middle of something else rather than having to stop and dig out my phone -- yes, please. If I can skip a song while running, or stop the music completely without having to fish out my phone, genius I say. And if I can wear the same watch at a meeting as I do while running -- gathering up fitness data the whole time, that's perfect. Then there are all the other apps coming like Apple Pay being even more convenient.

So while it may not be the watch for you, to say the entire watch a gimmick is a bridge too far. It offers functionality and efficiency to those who understand the value of increased productivity. If the watch is everything Apple is saying it is -- and we only know part of the story now, it will sell just fine and for a long time. The smart watch era is upon us. Apple will be a player.

----------

The thing about waterproofness is not just about "im going diving". Its also about how much water it can take (out of water) during activity and "under pressure". I've been a high competing runner, biker, swimmer (triathlete) and if you want to clean your stuff properly, it needs to go under water and get a gentle rub. And if you have been in open water this is very important, since the salt needs to be washed of.

Im glad if you (and some others) like it. And Im sure that this watch will sell in tons. But not to people like me, who like to live an easy living with as few gadgets as possible. I think this watch is a "gimmick", but it is built on my impression of the specs and the launch keynote, which presented the watched in a very "gimmick-like" manner. And this was a feeling that many viewers had following the keynote - see olders forum threads. But yes it will sell, but mostly to teens in Asia, and people who just love gadgets and who likes buying on a more "nice to have" than "need to have" basis.

But - good for those who buy it (and like it)! Still; no waterproff = no smartwatch for me.

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
Still can't get over how bulky and ugly this is. Really thought they would try to make it a bit sleeker before launch.

Why are they more obsessed about shaving millimetres off already thin phones and laptops when this thing would actually benefit from being more slimline

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The thing about waterproofness is not just about "im going diving". Its also about how much water it can take (out of water) during activity and "under pressure". I've been a high competing runner, biker, swimmer (triathlete) and if you want to clean your stuff properly, it needs to go under water and get a gentle rub. And if you have been in open water this is very important, since the salt needs to be washed of.

Im glad if you (and some others) like it. And Im sure that this watch will sell in tons. But not to people like me, who like to live an easy living with as few gadgets as possible. I think this watch is a "gimmick", but it is built on my impression of the specs and the launch keynote, which presented the watched in a very "gimmick-like" manner. And this was a feeling that many viewers had following the keynote - see olders forum threads. But yes it will sell, but mostly to teens in Asia, and people who just love gadgets and who likes buying on a more "nice to have" than "need to have" basis.

But - good for those who buy it (and like it)! Still; no waterproff = no smartwatch for me.

And that's fine, but it wasn't your original contention, and you even managed to be more judgmental with the Asian teens comment. I won't rehash that. But I agree the pre-announce demo (it wasn't a launch -- a launch is for imminent release, and the Apple Watch at the time was still pre-production) was more flash and dash than substantive. But it was a pre-production OS. Much of the functionality was still being baked and few 3rd party support apps to demo either.

The demo didn't sell me either because few details were released, but it definitely piqued my interest. I'll wait to see all the facts; the finished product, functionality, and 3rd party support, before I make a final judgment.

Supermule

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
And that's fine, but it wasn't your original contention, and you even managed to be more judgmental with the Asian teens comment. I won't rehash that. But I agree the pre-announce demo (it wasn't a launch -- a launch is for imminent release, and the Apple Watch at the time was still pre-production) was more flash and dash than substantive. But it was a pre-production OS. Much of the functionality was still being baked and few 3rd party support apps to demo either.

The demo didn't sell me either because few details were released, but it definitely piqued my interest. I'll wait to see all the facts; the finished product, functionality, and 3rd party support, before I make a final judgment.

Take it easy Chupa. My original post was:

"No waterproof = no deal (its 2015 - Apple!!!)"

Then someone replied me, and I wrote back, and you quoted me for that response (out of context). So no "contentions" from my side - just a few words about why Im not going to buy it.

And the asien teens comment: I think teens all over the world will love it. Probably even "the teen version" of myself. And since Asia is such a big part of the world, Asien teens will play a major role in the demand for Apple watches. And if they going to love it, it will sell huge (= become a succes) Thats the point of the statement. You're going for the man, not the ball.

But, good to here you like the watch!

Last edited:

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

You mean a gimmick like spending $1000-50K for a watch that just tells the time.... Seems makijng people believe they're actually getting something useful for that kind of money is the real gimmick.

----------

Take it easy Chupa. My original post was:

Then someone replied me, and I wrote back, and you quoted me for that response (out of context). So no "contentions" from my side - just a few words about why Im not going to buy it.

And the asien teens comment: I think teens all over the world will love it. Probably even "the teen version" of myself. And since Asia is such a big part of the world, Asien teens will play a major role in the demand for Apple watches. And if they going to love it, it will sell huge (= become a succes) Thats the point of the statement. You're going for the man, not the ball.

But, good to here you like the watch!

Well, since they'll sell a BUNDLE (not to you obviously); I'm guessiing there actually will be a "deal"...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My original post was:

Oh lord. Just be honest and stand by your original post to me where you state the watch will not sell because it's not just useless for you, but also everyone else except for people who like gimmicky products because, for one, it's not waterproof:

And therefore I have no reason to buy it - and I cant see why this should sell to others besides being a funny gimmick for a short periode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.